PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Background feats, Volume 2

Westhart
2017-11-09, 08:29 AM
So my first background feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?535134-Background-Feats) showed that some where much preferable then others. I have tried to change that up, and this was the product:
Background Feats
Every character gains a bonus background feat at first level, and these can only be taken at first. If someone wishes they can use their bonus first level feat to gain another background feat.

Skilled Professional [Background]
Benefit: You add your character level to a single profession and craft check that corresponds with it (such as armorer and craft (armorsmithing) etc). In addition you gains 2 bonus skill points each level that can only be added to the chosen skills and the chosen skills are always class skills for you. In addition when you create a masterwork weapon it applies a +1/4 ranks circumstance bonus on attack rolls in place of the normal benefits of a masterwork weapon.

Dishonest [Background]
Benefit: You add 1/2 your level to bluff, sleight of hand, and forgery checks, and are immune to magical or supernatural effects that would detect whether you are telling the truth (zone of truth), and whether or not a forgery is real. In addition bluff, sleight of hand, and forgery are always bonus skills, and you gain 3 skill points per level which can only be used on these skills.

Skilled Performer [Background]
Benefit: You add 1/2 your character level to perform checks. In addition if you are a minstrel you gain 2 extra uses of minstrel music a day. You also gain 2 skill points per level that can only be used on perform skills.

Born Leader [Background]
Prerequisites: Cha 14
Benefits: You add 1/4 your character level to diplomacy checks(min +1) and to your leadership score (if you acquire the leadership feat). In addition PC's that would not be hostile towards you have their attitude improved one step (to a maximum of friendly).

Elemental Ties [Background]
Benefits: Choose an element (Fire/Electricity/Acid/Cold), all ranged and melee attacks (excluding spells) deal an extra qd6 damage of the element +1d6/5 character levels. In addition you have resistance (1/2 level*5) to your chosen element, that becomes immunity at 20th.

Paranoia's Best Friend [Background]
Prerequisites: Int 14
Benefits: You add 1/2 your level on all autohypnosis, and sense motive checks. In addition you gain 2 skill points per level that can only be used on these skills, and these skills are treated as always being class skills for you. You also add 1/2 your level to will saves against mind affecting effects, and if such an effect would not allow a save you get one, although you do not get your normal bonus on that save.

Fleet of Foot [Background]
Prerequisites: Base land speed of 40'+
Benefits: At first level you gain a 10' bonus to your speed. This increases by 10' at 5th level and every 5 levels after. In addition you add 1/2 your level to all balance, perform (dance), and tumble checks, and you gain 3 skill points each level that can only be spent on these skills.

Fast Healer [Background]
Prerequisites: Con 14
Benefits: You heal twice as fast, and you reduce all ability damage, energy drain or ability drain you take from a non-class, non-feat source (ex: hellfire warlock does not work, a vampire's slams do) by 1/4 your HD (min 1). You may also make a save instantly against negative levels, and if you fail you still get the normal save.

Improved Natural Armor [Background]
Your skin/scales/etc is much harder then the rest of your race, whether through ceremonial scarification, mutation or some other circumstance.
Prerequisites: Racial Natural armor Bonus
Benefits: You add 1/3 your level to your natural armor bonus.

Uneasy Sleeper [Background]
Life was rough, and those who slept too deep often kept sleeping... permanently.
Benefits: You add 1/2 your level to all saves against sleep effects or other effects that would make you drowsy. In addition you need only sleep 1/2 as much as a normal member of your race, and awaking you from sleep is a free action, and you take no penalties while sleeping (Such as if you use a houserule that sleeping gives a penalty on listen or spot checks). In addition if you are a sleeping and a foe gets the drop on you you may make an attack as an immediate action, which counts as a roll of 20. The foe is flatfooted against this attack, and if it is successful he can not act for 1 round (thus you can disable a coup-de-grace)

Night Owl [Background]
You aren't as weak as some members of your race, although you still perform much better in the dark.
Prerequisites: Natural darkvision
Benefits: When in an area of shadowy or darker area you add 1/4 your level (Min +1) as a racial bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws. Also you add 5*level to your darkvision and lose any vulnerabilities to light you may have had,

Iron Gut [Background]
Benefits: You add 1/2+1 your level (Min +2) on all saves against disease or poison and effect that would nauseate or sicken you. At 5th Level you gain immunity to disease, at 10th poison, sickened at 15th, and nauseated at 20th.

Magic Sensitive [Background]
Benefits: You gain a weak version of detect magic, and the ability to rapidly counterspell. You pinpoint the location of magic (as if using detect magic) within level*10'. In addition you may counterspell a spell as an immediate action (no need to ready an action). If you suceed on a spellcraft check (5+spell level) you can identify the spell in use.

Please PEACH, as I think I may have gone overboard with some of them :smallcool:

rferries
2017-11-09, 09:10 AM
I like the general theme of these (benefits that scale with level, association with skills etc.). Uneasy Sleeper would possibly fall on the low end, and Elemental Ties on the high end of power (Elemental Ties is basically a free Empower Spell for most spells), so some fine tuning may be in order basedon the power level of the campaign.

Westhart
2017-11-09, 09:29 AM
I like the general theme of these (benefits that scale with level, association with skills etc.). Uneasy Sleeper would possibly fall on the low end, and Elemental Ties on the high end of power (Elemental Ties is basically a free Empower Spell for most spells), so some fine tuning may be in order basedon the power level of the campaign.

Took out affecting spells for elemental ties, added a disrupting clause to uneasy sleeper, does that bring them in line?

rferries
2017-11-11, 07:36 AM
Took out affecting spells for elemental ties, added a disrupting clause to uneasy sleeper, does that bring them in line?

Uneasy Sleeper is still very niche (though in line with the power of the other effects).

Elemental Ties - if I'm reading it right, does it grant +10d6 elemental damage on all your attacks at 20th level? If so, it's pretty clearly much more powerful than the other feats. Reduce it to +1d6 damage, plus +1d6 per five character levels maybe.

Westhart
2017-11-11, 11:39 AM
Uneasy Sleeper is still very niche (though in line with the power of the other effects).

Elemental Ties - if I'm reading it right, does it grant +10d6 elemental damage on all your attacks at 20th level? If so, it's pretty clearly much more powerful than the other feats. Reduce it to +1d6 damage, plus +1d6 per five character levels maybe.

Fixed Elemental Ties.

Ranged Ranger
2017-11-12, 03:09 AM
I really like these... especially Fleet of Foot on a Dark Whisper Gnome going into Dervish and Cloaked Dancer...

Westhart
2017-11-12, 09:48 AM
I really like these... especially Fleet of Foot on a Dark Whisper Gnome going into Dervish and Cloaked Dancer...

Thanks! And if these single handedly convince people to play more melee over... say a shadowcraft mage then I am more then fine with that :smallwink: