PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other A couple of [Fighter, Vile] feats, for all your cruelty needs.

Westhart
2017-11-09, 08:33 AM
Sadistic Bastard [Fighter, Vile]
When you deal damage you twist and tear at your sword, causing massive pain to your targets.
Prerequisites: BAB +6
Benefits: When you attack a foe you deal additional 1d6 additional damage per 5 points of BAB. Anyone who suffers the extra damage must make a fortitude save or take a -2 penalty on all skill checks, saves, and attack rolls due to the massive pain you cause them. This penalty last 1d4+1/5 points of BAB rounds.

Oh, what a gusher. [Fighter, Vile]
Prerequisites: Improved Critical, Sadistic Bastard, Int 13.
Benefits: Whenever you score a critical hit or use a death attack with a weapon you have improved critical for you deal 1d6/per point of critical (thus x2 does 2d6, x3 does 3d6 and so on) bleeding damage and 1 point of bleeding vile damage. The normal bleeding damage can be stopped with any cure spell or similar effect that restores hit points or a DC 15 heal check. The vile bleeding damage can only be cured in a consecrated area, and requires a heal check (DC 10 + your Base Attack Bonus + your Intelligence modifier), it is completely unaffected by magic. The bleeding lasts until afore mentioned healing check or until a number of rounds equal to your BAB/2, whichever comes first.

rferries
2017-11-09, 09:12 AM
Those titles! :smallbiggrin:

Oh, What A Gusher! -if you have even +1d6 sneak attack, you have basically a guaranteed kill against 99% of opponents - inflict 1 point of vile bleeding damage and run away until the foe expires.

Westhart
2017-11-09, 09:22 AM
Those titles! :smallbiggrin:

Hmm, maybe I watched those riddick movies too much :smallcool:

Oh, What A Gusher! -if you have even +1d6 sneak attack, you have basically a guaranteed kill against 99% of opponents - inflict 1 point of vile bleeding damage and run away until the foe expires.
Yeah, I was trying to enable something like wounding without a caster going "heal, screw off mate." Maybe make it just crits and death attacks?

rferries
2017-11-11, 07:34 AM

Yeah, I was trying to enable something like wounding without a caster going "heal, screw off mate." Maybe make it just crits and death attacks?

A limit on the bleed damage - like it only lasts X rounds, or can be stopped if the victim succeeds on a check as they would to stabilise if dying - might be helpful.

Westhart
2017-11-11, 11:42 AM
A limit on the bleed damage - like it only lasts X rounds, or can be stopped if the victim succeeds on a check as they would to stabilise if dying - might be helpful.

Well as is they still can stop it with a heal check, just have to be in a consecrated area... Adding or until (BAB/2) rounds pass, whichever happens first would bring it in line much more.

rferries
2017-11-11, 11:58 AM
Well as is they still can stop it with a heal check, just have to be in a consecrated area... Adding or until (BAB/2) rounds pass, whichever happens first would bring it in line much more.

Well, otherwise your enemies better hope there's a consecrated area somewhere in the dungeon/wilderness/etc haha, since their lifespan is now a number of rounds = to their hp. Yeah the BAB fix is good (even rounds = BAB, provided it doesn't stack).

Westhart
2017-11-11, 12:07 PM
Added a line at the end that should bring it down somewhat.

Lalliman
2017-11-11, 05:18 PM
Is there a duration on the -2 penalty?

Ranged Ranger
2017-11-11, 11:04 PM

Make it just crits and death attacks or add a threshold for sneak attacks to trigger it... something like:

Whenever you score a critical hit, use a death attack, or use a sneak dealing more than X points of extra damage with a weapon you have improved critical for...

Alternatively require a roll of Nat 6 on one (or more depending on how restrictive you want to be) sneak attack die for sneak attack to trigger

EDIT: Gah!! so many ninjas... (what I get for leaving a reply unfinished for a couple hours after I start typing it...)

Ranged Ranger
2017-11-12, 02:09 AM
Well, otherwise your enemies better hope there's a consecrated area somewhere in the dungeon/wilderness/etc haha, since their lifespan is now a number of rounds = to their hp. Yeah the BAB fix is good (even rounds = BAB, provided it doesn't stack).
shouldn't that be lifespan is now a number of rounds = to their hp past when they run out of healing spells/fast healing?

There should be, but could be pretty long... possibly reduced based on many hit die the victim has and maybe a fort save for half duration... Say 15 minus one-fifth dit hie rounds?

If you're feeling generous give two saves one immediately to cut the duration in half and if that fails a second half way through the duration to end it immediately...

A one hd victim that failed both fort saves takes penalties for 15 rounds; an Ancient Force Dragon (65 hd) that succeeds one of its saves takes a penalty only takes a penalty for 1 round; a Great Wyrm Force Dragon (75 hd) doesn't take a penalty no save required...

Westhart
2017-11-12, 10:32 AM
There is now :smallbiggrin:

Make it just crits and death attacks or add a threshold for sneak attacks to trigger it... something like:

Whenever you score a critical hit, use a death attack, or use a sneak dealing more than X points of extra damage with a weapon you have improved critical for...

Alternatively require a roll of Nat 6 on one (or more depending on how restrictive you want to be) sneak attack die for sneak attack to trigger

EDIT: Gah!! so many ninjas... (what I get for leaving a reply unfinished for a couple hours after I start typing it...)
Just removed sneak attack as that seems to be too powerful for everyone.

shouldn't that be lifespan is now a number of rounds = to their hp past when they run out of healing spells/fast healing?

There should be, but could be pretty long... possibly reduced based on many hit die the victim has and maybe a fort save for half duration... Say 15 minus one-fifth dit hie rounds?

If you're feeling generous give two saves one immediately to cut the duration in half and if that fails a second half way through the duration to end it immediately...

A one hd victim that failed both fort saves takes penalties for 15 rounds; an Ancient Force Dragon (65 hd) that succeeds one of its saves takes a penalty only takes a penalty for 1 round; a Great Wyrm Force Dragon (75 hd) doesn't take a penalty no save required...
Nah, just added a straight one based off of the user's BAB

Ranged Ranger
2017-11-12, 11:58 PM
I think my suggestion would be a more realistic way of handling it, but game mechanics rarely care about realism, and your way is simpler... Your way also removes the small chance of the ability allowing the player to determine how many hit die the monster has based on how long the penalty lasts... very good.

Westhart
2017-11-13, 08:28 AM
I think my suggestion would be a more realistic way of handling it, but game mechanics rarely care about realism, and your way is simpler... Your way also removes the small chance of the ability allowing the player to determine how many hit die the monster has based on how long the penalty lasts... very good.

Well, the more complex a feat is the more it slows game play, and no one wants to sit around while the fighter (in this case) determines and calculates everything, just like no one wants to watch the X caster scramble through every splatbook for the spell they want. Thus mine is streamlined and (I like to tell myself) elegant :smallsmile:. Thanks for the comments as always!