PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of ASF, Feats for the war wizard.

Westhart
2017-11-09, 08:49 AM
Note: [Spellcaster] feats can be selected when spellcasting classes (such as the wizard) would gain a metamagic or item creation feat.
War Mage, Novice [Spellcaster]
Prerequisites: Proficiency with light armor.
Benefits: You can cast in light armor and with bucklers without any ASF chance.

War Mage [Spellcaster]
Prerequisites: Proficiency with medium armor and shields (excluding tower), Novice War Mage or able to cast normally in light armor.
Benefits: You can cast in medium armor and while using shields (excluding tower) without any ASF chance.

War Mage, Master [Spellcaster]
Prerequisites: Proficiency with heavy armor and tower shields, War Mage or able to cast normally in medium armor.
Benefits: You can cast in all armor and with any shield (including tower) without any ASF chance.

rferries
2017-11-09, 09:17 AM
Simple and effective and long overdue. Kudos!

Westhart
2017-11-09, 09:19 AM
Simple and effective and long overdue. Kudos!

Meh, there was a feat that increased if you could already wear, so i guess with battle sorceror you could get in medium, but I just threw these together to replace all of that anyhow. It does the job, although not sure if 3 feats are too many...

SodaDarwin
2017-11-11, 03:58 AM
To get to the last feat in this chain, as a straight wizard, it would take...
Light Armor Prof, Medium Armor Prof, Heavy Armor Prof, Shield Prof, Tower Shield Prof, and all three of these. That's eight feats.
Of course, a single level in Fighter immediately gives you proficiency in all armor and shields, meaning it only takes three feats and a class level. (Added bonus: you get a d10 hit die, +1 BAB, and a fighter bonus feat! All in exchange for one wizard level.)
Oh, and I don't think the current wording of Master War Mage does not actually allow you to ignore the Tower Shield penalty, as Armor is considered a bit different from Shields.

I'd say: drop the need for Tower Shield prof, reword Master Warmage to something along the lines of "you may ignore the Arcane Spellcasting Failure of all equipment you are proficient with".
Consider reducing the feat requirements, unless it is intended for it to be so expensive for a straight wizard (and near unobtainable for a straight sorcerer).

Westhart
2017-11-11, 12:03 PM
To get to the last feat in this chain, as a straight wizard, it would take...
Light Armor Prof, Medium Armor Prof, Heavy Armor Prof, Shield Prof, Tower Shield Prof, and all three of these. That's eight feats.
Of course, a single level in Fighter immediately gives you proficiency in all armor and shields, meaning it only takes three feats and a class level. (Added bonus: you get a d10 hit die, +1 BAB, and a fighter bonus feat! All in exchange for one wizard level.)

Yes, that was intentional

Oh, and I don't think the current wording of Master War Mage does not actually allow you to ignore the Tower Shield penalty, as Armor is considered a bit different from Shields.
Ah, I'll add that. Fixed.

I'd say: drop the need for Tower Shield prof, reword Master Warmage to something along the lines of "you may ignore the Arcane Spellcasting Failure of all equipment you are proficient with".
Consider reducing the feat requirements, unless it is intended for it to be so expensive for a straight wizard (and near unobtainable for a straight sorcerer).
This is made for gishes, not straight casters. I try not to boost them too much with feats I make :smallsmile:

I think I fixed the master's text, as what equipment would there be besides armor and shields with ASF :smallconfused: