PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Ideas for a new player who wants to play a warlock

Pikashell
2017-11-09, 08:53 AM
Hey guys! So after 2 days I will play dnd for the first time with my best friend(we are really hyped). The game will be the 5e starter set adventure.So I wonder what my charcter must be. I really want to play as a warlock half elf. So far I have basic idea for him like he was born in a rich family but his parents were killed by a mysterious assassin when he was 9. In search of answers and vendeta, he started to learn the ways of the dark magic. Kinda like batman. This is my basic idea. I want to make him like an anti hero maybe chaotic good if possible. I thought on making a pact with the great old one Ikara(some jojo references)who is an ancient vampire with the control of time. Still havent decided yet so please give me an idea.

Brawndo
2017-11-09, 10:13 AM
Hey guys! So after 2 days I will play dnd for the first time with my best friend(we are really hyped). The game will be the 5e starter set adventure.So I wonder what my charcter must be. I really want to play as a warlock half elf. So far I have basic idea for him like he was born in a rich family but his parents were killed by a mysterious assassin when he was 9. In search of answers and vendeta, he started to learn the ways of the dark magic. Kinda like batman. This is my basic idea. I want to make him like an anti hero maybe chaotic good if possible. I thought on making a pact with the great old one Ikara(some jojo references)who is an ancient vampire with the control of time. Still havent decided yet so please give me an idea.

That sounds like a perfectly good backstory for a Warlock character. Great Old One is a popular choice, because the Fiend and the Fey patrons tend to suggest a very specific flavor onto the character. The GOO is easier to ascribe to something that's just mysterious and otherworldly without having a clear, specific identity. I think the abilities for GOO Warlocks are a good fit for someone tied to an ancient vampire.

Glorthindel
2017-11-09, 10:24 AM
That said, Undying (from Sword Coast Adventurers Guide) might fit a Vampire better (and would fit the character idea), but GOO would be fine.

carrdrivesyou
2017-11-09, 10:56 AM
That sounds like a perfectly good backstory for a Warlock character. Great Old One is a popular choice, because the Fiend and the Fey patrons tend to suggest a very specific flavor onto the character. The GOO is easier to ascribe to something that's just mysterious and otherworldly without having a clear, specific identity. I think the abilities for GOO Warlocks are a good fit for someone tied to an ancient vampire.

I have to second this. GOO warlocks have effective abilities that reflect the flavor of the class. I would suggest taking agonizing blast for your first invocation to keep up with damage, and then select the rest of your invocations based on what the campaign entails and what your character might need to solve the problem in their own way. Invocations I suggest are: beguiling Influence (your CHA is great already), one with shadows (free invisibility? yes please!), and mask of many faces (works well when paired with the Friends cantrip).

As for Pacts, I would go with either Chain or Tome. Chain is good for helping you scout (Voice of the chain master works well here), and Tome offers you versatility (Book of Ancient Secrets inv is great here).

For ASIs, I wouldn't bother with most feats unless they are critical to your character idea. I would instead pump CHA to 20 first, followed by boosting DEX and CON.

-Carr