PDA

View Full Version : Part Time Scholar, Weapon Focus, and Weapon Specialization [Fighter] feats

Westhart
2017-11-09, 08:54 AM
Part Time Scholar [Fighter]
Requirements: Knowledge (Any 3) 5 ranks, BAB +12
Benefits: You use your intelligence modifier (in place of strength) for attack and damage rolls. In addition you treat all knowledge skills as class skills and gain 4 skill points per level that can only be spent on knowledge skills.

Weapon Focus [Fighter]
Requirements: BAB +4
Benefits: You add ¼ your BAB to all attack rolls with your chosen weapon.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon.

Weapon Specialization [Fighter]
Requirements: Weapon Focus, BAB +6
Benefits: You add ¼ your BAB to all damage rolls with your chosen weapon.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new type of weapon.

Note: At first I did not have part time scholar, instead I had weapon focus/specialization give 1/4 BAB+Int, but think it works better like this.

rferries
2017-11-09, 09:22 AM
Part-Time Scholar - awesome effect, convoluted prerequisites. It'd be broken if it's too easy to get (every wizard would take it at 1st level), but as it is you need some sort of twisted gish build to access it (one that can survive to at least 12th level with high Int, and that needs Str/Dex high enough to survive in melee to that level yet still benefits from replacing them with Int at that point..?).

Weapon Focus/Scholar - good buffs.

Westhart
2017-11-09, 09:25 AM
Part-Time Scholar - awesome effect, convoluted prerequisites. It'd be broken if it's too easy to get (every wizard would take it at 1st level), but as it is you need some sort of twisted gish build to access it (one that can survive to at least 12th level with high Int, and that needs Str/Dex high enough to survive in melee to that level yet still benefits from replacing them with Int at that point..?).

Yeah... maybe just make it ~3rd, but not apply to touch attacks? Think that cuts out most wizard abuses pretty easy... Of course if you have the ability to make touch attacks with a melee weapon... :smallannoyed:. i guess I could work it into weapon focus and weapon specialization like it was:
Weapon Focus/specialization: 1/4 BAB+Int

Weapon Focus/Scholar - good buffs.
Yeah, the originals were... depressing?

aimlessPolymath
2017-11-09, 03:12 PM
It looks like you're doing a whole lot of feats in a very short time. Have you considered consolidating them into one thread for easier reading?

Westhart
2017-11-09, 03:16 PM
It looks like you're doing a whole lot of feats in a very short time. Have you considered consolidating them into one thread for easier reading?

Yeah, I should have, but I was tired and didn't think about ti, my apologies. (I wrote all those last night, and stayed up pretty late for... other reasons :smallwink:) I'll keep it in mind in the future though, sorry!

aimlessPolymath
2017-11-09, 04:14 PM
Fair enough. I'll echo a comment on one of the other threads and say that the requirement for the Int feat probably doesn't need an Int prereq, since only a very very narrow group will qualify and not want it. Also the BAB prereq looks like a typo?

nonsi
2017-11-09, 11:30 PM
I'd drop the BAB requirement on Part Time Scholar. One's martial prowess should have no bearings on one's ability to acquire education.
You could up the requirement to [6 ranks x 3]. That way you'd reach a similar result w/o it seeming odd.

Knitifine
2017-11-10, 12:19 AM
Part Time Fighter: This should be available at level 1 to fighters with 15 or higher Int, or 17 or higher if you wanna be really stringent. It needs no other prerequisites beyond fighter levels (Fighters just flat out should have at least 4 skill points each level to spend.)

Weapon Specialization should give a higher bonus than Weapon Focus, as +1 attack is worth about 2.3 damage last time I checked. (Could be wrong, haven't had a number friend for a while).

JNAProductions
2017-11-10, 12:20 AM
I'd drop the BAB requirement on Part Time Scholar. One's martial prowess should have no bearings on one's ability to acquire education.
You could up the requirement to [6 ranks x 3]. That way you'd reach a similar result w/o it seeming odd.

You do realize this is to buff FIGHTERS and other Martial Types, right? Not Wizards?

nonsi
2017-11-10, 04:37 AM
You do realize this is to buff FIGHTERS and other Martial Types, right? Not Wizards?

Sure, but why force a fighter to wait until level 12 to start benefiting from it... and how would you explain the BAB requirement?

Westhart
2017-11-10, 09:41 AM
Sure, but why force a fighter to wait until level 12 to start benefiting from it... and how would you explain the BAB requirement?

And the wizard is a problem... I mean I guess I could say fighter 4 but I never did like straight out level requirements... Hmm.

Fair enough. I'll echo a comment on one of the other threads and say that the requirement for the Int feat probably doesn't need an Int prereq, since only a very very narrow group will qualify and not want it. Also the BAB prereq looks like a typo?
BAB is to stop wizards from getting it, removed int requirement

Part Time Fighter: This should be available at level 1 to fighters with 15 or higher Int, or 17 or higher if you wanna be really stringent. It needs no other prerequisites beyond fighter levels (Fighters just flat out should have at least 4 skill points each level to spend.)

Meh, I give everyone +2 per level which seems to be rather nice.

Weapon Specialization should give a higher bonus than Weapon Focus, as +1 attack is worth about 2.3 damage last time I checked. (Could be wrong, haven't had a number friend for a while).
You do realize if a level 1 fighter can get it that 2 level fighter dip just became very nice right? What would you suggest for weapon specialization? 1/3, 1/2?

Knitifine
2017-11-10, 03:34 PM
Part time scholar still comes online way too late for it to be useful.

Requirements: Knowledge (Any 3) 5 ranks, fighter level 3
Benefits: You use your intelligence modifier (in place of strength) for attack and damage rolls. In addition you treat all knowledge skills as class skills and gain 4 skill points per level that can only be spent on knowledge skills.

As for the weapon focus/weapon specialization feats.

Weapon Focus [Fighter]
Requirements: Fighter level 4th
Benefits: You add 1/4 your fighter level to all attack rolls with your chosen weapon.

Requirements: Weapon Focus, Fighter level 6th
Benefits: You add 1/2 your fighter level to all damage rolls with your chosen weapon.

Westhart
2017-11-10, 10:22 PM
Part time scholar still comes online way too late for it to be useful.

Requirements: Knowledge (Any 3) 5 ranks, fighter level 3

As for the weapon focus/weapon specialization feats.

Weapon Focus [Fighter]
Requirements: Fighter level 4th
Benefits: You add 1/4 your fighter level to all attack rolls with your chosen weapon.

Requirements: Weapon Focus, Fighter level 6th
Benefits: You add 1/2 your fighter level to all damage rolls with your chosen weapon.

I like your solution for part time, but would prefer that weapon focus and all worked off BAB instead of fighter levels.

EDIT: Although a 3 level dip seems really nice now... hmm...