PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other The save feats, and a few others

Westhart
2017-11-09, 09:36 AM
Toughness [Fighter]
Prerequisite: Con 13
Benefits: You gain bonus hit points bper level equal to 2*your [Fighter] feats and Fast healing equal to your number of [Fighter] Feats.
Special: You may take this feat more than once, the bonus hit points stack.

Great Fortitude [Fighter]
Prerequisites: Toughness
Benefits: You add ½ your level to fortitude saves, and you gain the mettle ability, applying only to fortitude saving throws.

Enduring Body [Fighter]
Prerequisites: Toughness, Great Fortitude, Con 15
Benefits: You decrease any ability damage or drain against your physical scores (Con, Dex, Str) by your fast healing.
Special: You may take this feat more than once, its effects stack.

Once more... [Fighter]
Prerequisites: Toughness, Great Fortitude, Enduring Body, Fort +10, BAB +18
Benefits: Once per day when you would be killed you are restored per true resurrection. To anyone present it appears as if you did not die at all, although you seem rather... angry? For 1 hour after this effect you add +4 to your strength score.

Improved Initiative [Fighter]
Benefits: You add 2+1/4 your BAB to initiative. In addition if your BAB is at least +12 when you would act during a surprise round you may take a full rounds worth of actions.

Somethin's Up... [Fighter]
Prerequisites: Spot 8 ranks, Listen 8 Ranks, Improved Initiative.
Benefits: You always act during a surprise round if there is one.

Lightning Reflexes [Fighter]
Prerequisites: Dex 13, Improved Initiative
Benefits: You add ½ your level to reflex saves, and you gain the evasion ability, although it is usable in medium and heavy armors.
Iron Will [Fighter]
Prerequisites: Wis 13
Benefits: You add ½ your level to will saves and you gain the mettle ability, apply to will saves only.

I couldn't think of a prerequisite feat for Iron will [Shrug]

nonsi
2017-11-11, 12:19 AM
1. I believe that people wont like the lack of symmetry between the feats with your proposed changes.
2. Prereqs mean worsening the problem of feat tax.

Westhart
2017-11-11, 12:29 AM
1. I believe that people wont like the lack of symmetry between the feats with your proposed changes.
2. Prereqs mean worsening the problem of feat tax.

1. Are you talking about the fact that iron will doesn't have a prerequisite or that GF got more follow up feats?
2. I guess I could take them out.

Knitifine
2017-11-11, 12:48 AM
So the toughness feat line, starting with the first one, just kind of break verisimilitude. Like, even in fantastical settings you usually have to attempt to justify a Healing Factor. The idea that anyone can take one feat and gain just start regenerating their wounds is like... It's surreal? I guess if you're going to a surrealist game this works.

Westhart
2017-11-11, 01:15 AM
So the toughness feat line, starting with the first one, just kind of break verisimilitude. Like, even in fantastical settings you usually have to attempt to justify a Healing Factor. The idea that anyone can take one feat and gain just start regenerating their wounds is like... It's surreal? I guess if you're going to a surrealist game this works.

Yeah the FH may be a bit much

edit: took out FH

SodaDarwin
2017-11-11, 04:26 AM
I am now imagining a level 1 human fighter taking Toughness in all three feat slots. As currently written, this would give them +15 hitpoints and +2 Fast Healing
Also, +5 HP per level means that, at 20, you have +100 HP (roughly the equivalent of ten Fighter levels of hitpoints, I think). So, assuming you get to that point in the game, every time you take this feat it is worth that much.
Even a Wizard, Rogue, or Monk taking a single instance of this feat could over double their hitpoints.

Enduring Body requires Fast Healing to benefit from, which doesn't seem thematically appropriate. Though, I'm not sure what to replace it with. Perhaps by your Fortitude Save bonus? Might be weird. Con Mod?

One thing you could do is make every feat in the chain (aside from the first instance of Toughness) grant +1 Fast Healing.
Maybe make Toughness give HP per level based on how many feats you have in the chain?
Perhaps make the Fast Healing conditional, such as "you gain +1 Fast Healing when in actual danger"?

Once More is beautiful, and straight-combat characters can get it. Fighter, Bardbarian, Paladin. Excellent! Feels a little weird to get a +4 Strength after this, but it fits well.

Improved Initiative seems good. Eventually a +7 to initiative! Full round of actions during surprise! You just made a good feat even better, I can't imagine not taking this if I can squeeze it in.

Somethin's Up (sic?) requires eight skill ranks in Spot and Listen (or, if converted to Pathfinder or similar, eight in Perception). This is not something a Fighter or Paladin could easily get. However, for a Rogue, Ranger, or Monk, they could with relative ease.

I like these. Could use some tweaking, but I like them a lot.

Westhart
2017-11-11, 11:59 AM
I am now imagining a level 1 human fighter taking Toughness in all three feat slots. As currently written, this would give them +15 hitpoints and +2 Fast Healing
Also, +5 HP per level means that, at 20, you have +100 HP (roughly the equivalent of ten Fighter levels of hitpoints, I think). So, assuming you get to that point in the game, every time you take this feat it is worth that much.
Even a Wizard, Rogue, or Monk taking a single instance of this feat could over double their hitpoints.

Hmm, got it how about 5 hit points per [Fighter] Feat, then great fortitude giving fast healing equal to your [Fighter] feats?

Enduring Body requires Fast Healing to benefit from, which doesn't seem thematically appropriate. Though, I'm not sure what to replace it with. Perhaps by your Fortitude Save bonus? Might be weird. Con Mod?

Hmm... you reduce con damage with your con seems... wierd... I agree this could use a change, I'll think of something

One thing you could do is make every feat in the chain (aside from the first instance of Toughness) grant +1 Fast Healing.
Maybe make Toughness give HP per level based on how many feats you have in the chain?
Perhaps make the Fast Healing conditional, such as "you gain +1 Fast Healing when in actual danger"?

Tougness changed.

Once More is beautiful, and straight-combat characters can get it. Fighter, Bardbarian, Paladin. Excellent! Feels a little weird to get a +4 Strength after this, but it fits well.

I am working on a Celestial Bladelord (basically Paladin meets fighter, loses spellcasting, gets massive boost) tat has "Taking You with Me."... basically he surives long enough to kill the one who killed him then they both die...

Improved Initiative seems good. Eventually a +7 to initiative! Full round of actions during surprise! You just made a good feat even better, I can't imagine not taking this if I can squeeze it in.

Made it base off BAB, thus benefiting martials more.

Somethin's Up (sic?) requires eight skill ranks in Spot and Listen (or, if converted to Pathfinder or similar, eight in Perception). This is not something a Fighter or Paladin could easily get. However, for a Rogue, Ranger, or Monk, they could with relative ease.

Fighters don't have listen and spot as class skills :smallconfused: I could have sworn they did... Maybe reudce it to 4?

I like these. Could use some tweaking, but I like them a lot.