PDA

View Full Version : My player is playing a Arcane archer and I made this party of the sud-class.

Throne12
2017-11-09, 09:38 AM
So I heard that the new Arcane Archer gives the player a choise of the cantrip Prestidigitation or druidcraft. So my player is playing the UA version so I gave him Prestidigitation.

Then I add he can cast the spell Identify as a ritual. Now this is pretty good in my game because I don't use the rule were you attune to item and you know all that it does.

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-09, 09:45 AM
Identify is nice, but it's mostly a way for quick info on what something can do. It also doesn't warn you of curses, iirc.

I personally think the 'spend a short rest' method of identifying things is alright. It takes an hour, and that's just to get a feel. You can attune to it and het the same effect, at the risk of getting cursed.

But, run your games as you like. Just my 2 coppers on how I'd handle it.

mephnick
2017-11-09, 10:38 AM
The only way to figure out what something does at my table is the Identify spell or attune to it. I also have the components destroyed. The short rest thing is fine for people that want it, but it feels wrong to me. It takes what little mystery magic items have left in D&D and grinds it beneath the heel of new age blandness.

But if you're asking if this is balanced, yeah, it's not a big deal.

MeeposFire
2017-11-10, 01:16 AM
The only way to figure out what something does at my table is the Identify spell or attune to it. I also have the components destroyed. The short rest thing is fine for people that want it, but it feels wrong to me. It takes what little mystery magic items have left in D&D and grinds it beneath the heel of new age blandness.

But if you're asking if this is balanced, yeah, it's not a big deal.

The funny thing is I feel similarly to this every once in a while and then I go through a game where the players have to figure out the magic items and I am spending my time remembering to give the magic items effects at all times without telling them everything and to remember to give clues etc. That is when I remember why I do not do that anymore and go back to "new age blandness" because I do not get as much fun out of it for the work I have to put in (or I guess I am just too lazy nowadays your pick).

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-10, 05:32 AM
I'm personally in favor of having to get something Identified or attune to it to learn all it does.
If you're spending a short rest getting a feel for something, it's only logical that you'll get the 'broad strokes' version of its capabilities.

You might learn that the sword you spent time with is supernaturally sharp, or that it seems to hunger for blood.

What you won't learn this way is that it's a Sword of Wounding or Sword of Life-Stealing, respectively.
You can make an educated guess, but the second one could be a cursed Sword of Vengeance, too.
You won't know that till you attune and don't make the Wis save..

Potato_Priest
2017-11-10, 02:29 PM
I like it when the DM will at least out of character tell me what a thing's properties are, even if they stipulate that IC I must remain unaware. It just seems annoying for the DM to have to remember the attak and damage bonuses (if any) of whatever weapon I have, it'd be much easier for the both of us if I could do it myself.

Your extra stuff seems fine.