PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Animal Affinity

Westhart
2017-11-09, 09:44 AM
Note: Classes that would give animal empathy (or whatever the druid ability is called) give this feat instead.
Animal Affinity
Benefit: You add 1/2 your level on ride and handle animal checks. These skills are always class skills for you and you gain 2 skill points per level that can only be used for those skills. You can also influence animals and magical beasts with an intelligence of 1-2 by using the Handle Animal skill, which works as diplomacy.

...and I've cleared out all the feats I wrote last night :smallbiggrin:.

nonsi
2017-11-11, 12:15 AM
Note: Classes that would give animal empathy (or whatever the druid ability is called) give this feat instead.
Animal Affinity
Benefit: You add 1/2 your level on ride and handle animal checks. These skills are always class skills for you and you gain 2 skill points per level that can only be used for those feats. You can also influence animals and magical beasts with an intelligence of 1-2 with diplomacy checks.

...and I've cleared out all the feats I wrote last night :smallbiggrin:.

1. I assume you meant "can only be used for those skills".
2. Doesn't this remove the option of influencing "animals" upon encounter from the game altogether?

Westhart
2017-11-11, 12:22 AM
1. I assume you meant "can only be used for those skills".
2. Doesn't this remove the option of influencing "animals" upon encounter from the game altogether?

1. Fixed
2. How so :smallconfused:?

rferries
2017-11-11, 09:11 AM
1. Fixed
2. How so :smallconfused:?

Handle Animal doesn't actually let you influence the attitudes of animals (in the way that wild empathy does), but if you're using this feat to replace wild empathy we can safely assume Handle Animal would be rewritten.

I really like this fix, allows for a Beastmaster type character who's not necessarily a "ranger" but still has power over animals.

Westhart
2017-11-11, 11:37 AM
Handle Animal doesn't actually let you influence the attitudes of animals (in the way that wild empathy does), but if you're using this feat to replace wild empathy we can safely assume Handle Animal would be rewritten.

I really like this fix, allows for a Beastmaster type character who's not necessarily a "ranger" but still has power over animals.

You can also influence animals and magical beasts with an intelligence of 1-2 with diplomacy checks.

So... Diplomacy still does right? :smalltongue:

rferries
2017-11-11, 11:45 AM
You can also influence animals and magical beasts with an intelligence of 1-2 with diplomacy checks.

So... Diplomacy still does right? :smalltongue:

Presumably, but surely you want them to invest ranks in Handle Animal instead? Though I've no objection to the feat allowing otherwise.

Westhart
2017-11-11, 12:04 PM
Presumably, but surely you want them to invest ranks in Handle Animal instead? Though I've no objection to the feat allowing otherwise.

Changed it up, should be fine now.

Ashtagon
2017-11-13, 09:12 AM
This is essentially diplomancer vs. animals. Is that intentional?

Westhart
2017-11-13, 09:18 AM
This is essentially diplomancer vs. animals. Is that intentional?

I use the giant's diplomacy fix, but yes, it does allow that... of course compare the wide range of diplomacy creatures vs animals (along with magical beasts with an int 1-2), and at the very least it is less powerful.

jqavins
2017-11-14, 02:42 PM
The next time I make a character using a multiclass or gestalt or custom class ranger/druid/(wizard or sorcerer) blend, I'll remember to use this. (I've done four of these in the past; it's a theme I really like.)

Westhart
2017-11-14, 02:46 PM
The next time I make a character using a multiclass or gestalt or custom class ranger/druid/(wizard or sorcerer) blend, I'll remember to use this. (I've done four of these in the past; it's a theme I really like.)

Thanks :smallbiggrin:. Tell me how it goes, I don't think it will affect game play too much.

jqavins
2017-11-14, 03:12 PM
Thanks :smallbiggrin:. Tell me how it goes, I don't think it will affect game play too much.
Honestly, I think it will affect game play very little, and may be a sub-optimal use of a feat. But it will be of enough use to make its color and RP value irresistible. (I frequently don't mind going sub-optimal in the name of fitting a character concept and the role playing flavor that I want.)

Westhart
2017-11-14, 03:15 PM
Honestly, I think it will affect game play very little, and may be a sub-optimal use of a feat. But it will be of enough use to make its color and RP value irresistible. (I frequently don't mind going sub-optimal in the name of fitting a character concept and the role playing flavor that I want.)

yeah, the main point was that druids etc get it as a bonus feat (in place of wild empathy) didn't think about others taking it too much honestly :smallbiggrin: