PDA

View Full Version : 1 handed single weapon figther

jorulfr
2017-11-09, 09:45 AM
Hello there, i am starting a new campaign as a pc and have decided to play a fighter.

But, i really want to wield a single longsword for fluff purposes, seeing as it looks relly cool in my head.

Now, how do i go about this character creation wise, in order to not suck completely?, I know it is not optimal, and that is okay.

blurneko
2017-11-09, 09:50 AM
1. Wield a greatsword.
2. Fluff it as a longsword.

Unoriginal
2017-11-09, 09:53 AM
Now, how do i go about this character creation wise, in order to not suck completely?, I know it is not optimal, and that is okay.

You have to work pretty hard to make a character that sucks in 5e.

Question is: what do you like? Shield? Dextrous fighter? STRONK fighter? Human? Dwarf? Bugbear?

smcmike
2017-11-09, 09:56 AM
A fighter with a long sword doesn’t suck! Your damage isn’t going to match a fighter with a great sword, but it will be very consistent, and you can use a shield, which is nice.

Make an Eldritch Knight, and be a tank.

suplee215
2017-11-09, 09:57 AM
Dueling and a shield gives you enough benefit to not feel like the great sword guy is better than you. If you take Shield Master feat more so.

clash
2017-11-09, 09:59 AM
Dueling fighting style makes longsword effectively do the same damage as a greataxe 1d8 +2 ~ 6.5 vs 1d12 ~ 6.5. If you want to play a longsword and an empty hand you will do just fine. If you want to optimize it then I would say take advantage of having a free hand. What fighter archetype are you planning on going with? A free hand enables EK's to cast spells seamlessly. A free hand enables BM to disarm someone then pick up their weapon before they have a chance to. As any fighter a free hand enables the ability to grapple, increasing your control abilities.

Lombra
2017-11-09, 10:00 AM
Dueling fighting style and defensive duelist feat, that's the best you can get for one-haned only fighting, plus, you have a free hand, which lets you grapple/climb/interact with objects while still attacking, so that's cool.

Aett_Thorn
2017-11-09, 10:05 AM
If you're willing to wait until Xanathar's Guide, then a Kensai Monk might fit the bill here.

X3r4ph
2017-11-09, 10:09 AM
I usually fluff my shields as dueling cloaks. That way I can remain a musketeer without sacrificing AC. Could also be fluffed as a gauntlet, arm guard, bracer or parrying dagger. Well. You get the picture.

If you wanna go by the books, and you don't mind Elfing it up, consider the Bladesinger. With just 2 levels you could get your hands on some serious combat spell buffs like blur, mage armor and mirror image and the most OP spell in the game namely shield. AND Bladesong which adds Intelligence to AC if you you don't wear medium or heavy armor and have a hand free.

Throne12
2017-11-09, 10:35 AM
Ok so what fighter archetype are you looking to play.

Also what inspirations are you using for this character?

So here is my knight Templar
Race: v-human feat magic Initiative cleric
Cantrips: Thaumaturgy and Guidance.
First level spell: shield of fate.
Background: Acolyte
Class: Battlemaster Fighter
Fighting style: dueling
Maneuvers: tripping, disarming, Riposte, commanding strike.

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-09, 10:41 AM
I usually fluff my shields as dueling cloaks. That way I can remain a musketeer without sacrificing AC. Could also be fluffed as a gauntlet, arm guard, bracer or parrying dagger. Well. You get the picture.

Well, you just gave me some ideas for a character.. Dex-y EK, with a 'heavy' gauntlet in the style of the Prince from the PoP remake that kinda flopped a while back.. and have fun with that.
Or maybe go for a DmC Nero vibe woth a demonic looking clawed gauntlet.. The possibilities are legion!

Edit: Had some more time to think, and I've fallen back to Paladin with a similar setup. Longsword + Shield fluffed as a heavy/demonic gauntlet. Could explain a Warlock dip for some EB goodness to cover the lacking ranged options that Pally has.
Maybe work in some of the Two Thrones personality shift between the 2 sides in there for RP's sake.
Schizophrenic Paladin/Warlock. I'm aquiver with excitement on how I can make this a thing now..

GlenSmash!
2017-11-09, 11:40 AM
Dueling fighting style and defensive duelist feat, that's the best you can get for one-haned only fighting, plus, you have a free hand, which lets you grapple/climb/interact with objects while still attacking, so that's cool.

Wouldn't defensive duelist not work with a Longsword?

To the OP, A single Longsword is my favorite, here are a couple of ways to do it.

Kensei- Works right out of the box. Must be ok with other monk stuff.

Fighter Grappler - Battlermaster works well with this, but my personal favorite is Fighter Scout from Unearthed Arcana. It can add half a proficiency die roll to athletics checks for grappling and shoving. Eldritch Knight also works fine.

Barbarian Grappler - is probably my very favorite. With XGtE coming out, Ancestral Guardian, Zealot, and Storm herald all look like they could work as grapplers.