PDA

View Full Version : Medieval D-Day

Murongo
2007-08-17, 10:46 PM
So me and my friends are playing a homebrew campaign with a PvP aspect to it. Right now we're at the climax (and end) of the campaign, where about half of the PCs are on one side of an attack, and the other half are on another. I was wondering, as I am commander and a high level spellcaster on one of the sides, how to go about winning.

If you don't feel like reading a lot skip this
-----------------------------------------------------------
Some things to explain first:
-Angels in this campaign represent order, not good, and in this instance are comprised of 20 solars with 6 or 7 character levels.
-Demons/Devils (same thing) represent chaos, not evil. Demon legions are comprised of 1 balor, and some indiscriminate amount of lesser demons.
-The island this takes place on is Mt-Olympus-esque and thus the gods have put a dampening effect that blocks all lesser arcane spellcasters from casting here (I can, and so can one of my allies, but that's about it). The solars can cast.
-The island layout is very D-dayish. We have a beach and maybe 1500 feet past the shoreline are cliffs. There is a path cutting between the two cliffs. The cliffs stretch about 700 feet across each and the path is maybe 100 feet wide.
-Those cliffs are armed with thousands of enemy troops and packed with siege weapons of all kinds. Because this is the epic final showdown of the apocalypse, even the basic enemy soldiers are level 10-15.
-Here's a basic layout my friend drew (excuse his grammar) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Thatcow/ETfinalassualt.jpg

Our objective is to reach a facility beyond that mountain pass that houses the corporeal bodies of gods which may or may not be possessed by the gods themselves. As a backround note, gods in this campaign are omnipotent until they come to the material plane, so some gods may have the bravery to come down and fight us when we get to the facility, some might not. We're fighting this battle because the time is coming when the gods are bored with their creations and want to come and wipe the slate clean and create new races to play with.

However, the gods aren't total pricks and they give their favorites of the old creations their own mini-planes to live in. The angels and demons are examples of old races who were given their own planes. One side wants to destroy the gods and prevent a wipe (my side), the other side is for some reason fighting for the gods (usually so they secure themselves a spot in our paradise mini-plane).

If, however, we destroy those corporeal bodies than it's mission complete because the gods can't come down themselves to wipe us out. The reason the gods can't just smite us all right now is because not all the gods believe in the rinse-and-retry system and unless all the gods are in agreement, they can't act on the material plane from god-land. Unless they get in their corporeal bodies and physically do it themselves. God avatars are very powerful, easily CR 30.

Enemy forces:
-A level 20 fighter/paladin/anointed knight and his level 18 favored soul cohort. (PC) "Enemy leader" name "Jericho" cohort name "Lorraine"
-Two clerics of various sorts, level 20. (One PC and one NPC) Names "Muldune" and "Guiness"
-A 20 ranger. (PC) name "Johanna"
-A level 20 fighter (PC) name "Ray"
-2 level 20 barbarians (PCs), one is a frenzied berserker names "Thokk" and "Gibbur"
-20 solars with character levels
-10,000 troops levels 10-15
-3 legions of demons
-100-200 elites between levels 15-20 (NPC presets)
Also, they have the defensive position (think germans)

Allied Forces:
-Myself, essentially a great wyrm bronze dragon. "Allied leader" name "Draig"
-2 level 20 fighters (PC), one with a level 18 cohort ranger. names "Assassiel" "Ismael" and the cohort is "Andulas"
-A 20 sorc worm that walks (NPC) name "Carrodine"
-A level 20 monk (PC) name "Rajk"
-5 legions of demons
-A lord of hell whose stats are undetermined but probably about CR 20-23. (NPC)
-ships laden with about 10,000 troops levels 15-20.

Here's the thing. While this campaign is both no-teleportation and no-resurrection, there is a way to open "gates" by slaughtering people and using their blood as a component to rip rifts through the plane and open in another area. So, if we can take the beach and bring enough blood somehow, or get enough blood on arrival, we can open portals back to our allied lands and call in a near endless supply of troops (at least 100,000 level 10s).

The way things are going now it looks like both sides intend to send the pawns forward, and try to counter each other's elites and heroes with some of their own. But obviously, as we have two arcane spellcasters we have a unique advantage, that our guys can hit them from very far away with very devastating moves.

There's also a tremendously powerful colossus (as the epic creature, but buffed) being piloted by a guy who has a huge grudge against a couple of my allies, who may or may not show up during this fight and complicate things.

To balance that wild card is one of our own. While my character is one of three remaining dragons in the world, one is sickly and too weak to fight. The last one is one of the original dragons, a massively powerful primarch who may or may not join during this fight. He's about as powerful as the aforementioned colossus. He's allied with my character for both obvious and complicated reasons.

That covers everything I can think of off the top of my head but I probably left it far too vague to understand.
---------------------------------------------------------------
As a note:
There's no control weather or control water and there's no telekinesis. No teleportation and no resurrection.

Basically I'm looking for war tricks that arcane spell casters can pull off. Or dragons for that matter.

Sorry to drown you all in text, it's a very complicated situation, but I hope you get the idea enough to toss a couple ideas out. I know I like pondering tactics.

Edit:
A couple parting notes I forgot. All the demons we brought are flight-capable. They're essentially our air forces. Also, I gave the heroes names for easy reference.

Murongo
2007-08-17, 10:59 PM
And another fun question: What music should we play for final epic fight scene? I like instrumental stuff like soundtracks from various epic movies/tv shows (serenity and battlestar galactica are goldmines, oddly enough.)

Sulecrist
2007-08-17, 11:08 PM
Serenity, Galactica, and Stargate are always good.

Add Duke of Death from Medieval II and the Fable theme by Danny Elfman.

I like the Pirates music, too.

As far as tactics go, I'd recommend dropping airborne to take out their blasters early. Do you having anything capable of invisible flight?

AslanCross
2007-08-17, 11:16 PM
I think it would be best to use an air attack to soften up the fortifications and drop in from the air. While the archers can get you, the siege engines can't.

For music, I suggest something by Rhapsody of Fire. Erian's Mystical Rhymes is a good epic battle theme. It's not purely instrumental, but the accompaniment is awesome.

Murongo
2007-08-17, 11:17 PM
Invisibility is a good call. I can use that for more than one maneuver. I haven't heard medieval II music, but isn't the fable theme kinda soft? I'm trying to remember from back when I played it. I think I'm looking for something heavier than that. Perhaps I just forget how it sounds.

Decoy Lockbox
2007-08-17, 11:40 PM
I second the reccomendation for Rhapsody of Fire. They have a song called "Holy Thunderforce" that has the following opening lyrics:

"Face me evil bastards
smell the hate of angels
glory pride and bloodshed!"

All their stuff is very D&D-esque, and some of the titles are bit over the top. For example, they have another song called "Triumph for my magic steel". My AD&D ranger got a +1 broadsword last week and when we went to go kill orcs, I put that song on. It was awesome.

There are lots of metal bands that specialize in fantasy battle music. For example, there is Bal-Sagoth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMYFCyXryr8

and Manowar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d47gTUNY86k

"Sons of the Gods, today we shall die, open Valhalla's door! Let the battle begin, with swords in the wind, hail Gods of war!"

Overlord
2007-08-18, 12:42 AM
I second the reccomendation for Rhapsody of Fire. They have a song called "Holy Thunderforce" that has the following opening lyrics:

"Face me evil bastards
smell the hate of angels
glory pride and bloodshed!"

All their stuff is very D&D-esque, and some of the titles are bit over the top. For example, they have another song called "Triumph for my magic steel". My AD&D ranger got a +1 broadsword last week and when we went to go kill orcs, I put that song on. It was awesome.

There are lots of metal bands that specialize in fantasy battle music. For example, there is Bal-Sagoth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMYFCyXryr8

and Manowar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d47gTUNY86k

"Sons of the Gods, today we shall die, open Valhalla's door! Let the battle begin, with swords in the wind, hail Gods of war!"

You do need to be careful not to let the music become too distracting. I can see the players being distracted by that pretty easily. The ideal music for something like this is something that sets the mood, but isn't too overpowering. Classical movie soundtracks are always pretty good, because they're made to do exactly that: enhance the mood without pulling the viewer's attention away from the action. But be careful not to use soundtrack that distracts due to it's sheer fame and ease of recognition. As several Dragon articles on the subject have noted, if you blast the Imperial March, your players might start thinking about Star Wars and not your epic battle.

PinkysBrain
2007-08-18, 01:22 AM
Personally I'd split this game up in a shared story telling part and a final battle with just the PCs and major allies. Because you aren't going to get much satisfaction out of the rules here.

If you just want to win though, just drop rocks.

Quellian-dyrae
2007-08-18, 01:29 AM
You posted their troops at L 10-15 and elites at L 15-20, while your troops are 15-20. Do you just have stronger troops or is that a typo? Also, what sort of capability can you expect from your troops? Are these level 10-15 or 15-20 credibly built and equipped characters, or basically just warriors with high BABs and lots of hp?

The way I'm looking at it, they have some pretty notable advantages. You have arcane magic, which is good, and if your troops are serious and indeed more powerful, a much better army. They have more magic and access to divine magic (the solars are key there), and more elite units. Plus defensive position. So let's see here.

Okay, I'm assuming there has to be missile access into their mountains, or they wouldn't be able to stop you when you walked past. First, scry the frenzied berserker. Wait until it's near another high-level warrior or two, and take advantage of your 1160' long range to drop a fireball on them. In any case, you want to wound them and trigger a frenzy while there are only allies of the berserker around to endure it. Have the sorcerer riding you or flying with you. Both of you support the berserker with long range spells. Try and keep it fighting its allies in frenzy as long as you can. If they send people after you, pelt them with spells, using your superior fly speed to blast and then get out of long spell range. If they retreat, move up and start blasting some more. Try and destroy a sally or lead it into an ambush.

If there's not missile access...wall of stone to block their exits, maybe?

How much blood do you need for a gate, and how close to the blood do you have to be? Because if you and the sorc can just lay waste to their soldiers with long-range area spells, turn their blood into a gate, and have limitless troops pouring in behind enemy lines, you pretty much win.

You can enter animal form...you could use that for infiltration and then wage a spell assault.

If you have confusion, use it indiscriminately.

If you have time to wear them down, use it. Turn their fortress into a trap. Lay waste with spells then retreat with high fly speed. Lure sallies into an ambush. If you have to just face them down and try to win through in a blaze of glory...I dunno, you have your work cut out for you. Those 20 solars are going to be havok to deal with.

It's a shame you don't have 20 solars. You could have them spend all their 8th level slots on earthquake spells, point them at the mountains, and tell them never to stop...

Also depends on what spells you have. You have antimagic field? It's about as cheap as you can get, but they DO have 20 solars and possibly the gods on their side. A great wyrm dragon in an antimagic field pretty much beats any classed individual. Actually, if you have Combat Expertise, you could probably take down a couple of solars while in an AMF, between AC and your now unbeatable DR 20/magic. 'Course they'll power attack for full...hmm...depends on their class levels too. Well, maybe.

I think it'll come down to time. If you have time to wear them down, draw them out, recover spells, etc, that's ideal. If not...hopefully your troops' levels wasn't a typo.

Hope you can find something useful in this rambling discourse. Good luck.

Murongo
2007-08-18, 01:49 AM
Well 9/10 of my troops are more towards the 15 side whereas theirs are more towards the upper part of theirs. Yes, ours are better, but they're all generic NPCs as you said so a defensive position can make the difference. Our average is probably 16, theirs is 14.

The problem is the gods aren't going to tolerate an attack on their corporeal form fortress so the longer we draw things out the less chance we have of destroying them before they can become a player.

I definitely like the idea of messing with the berserker. Invisible assassins with alchemist's fire or some such could talk out the siege weapons. But yeah, I agree, the solars are their main advantage over me. The only reason they haven't wrecked our boats is our demons are still flying air cover above the fleet. Come to think of it, control wind isn't banned, how powerful is that? powerful enough to ward off flying creatures? Is that even a sorc/wiz spell? Gods I forget...

Murongo
2007-08-18, 01:52 AM
Confusion is also a good idea. Unfortunately in our homebrew campaign I can't shapeshift into whatever I want. I can go into human form, half-dragon form and dragon form and that's it. Fortunately, I'm a bronze dragon which means I have cleric spells and arcane spells. Still, they have a huge divine advantage.

My problem with antimagic field is it's so small...

Iku Rex
2007-08-18, 02:28 AM
Can you redesign your spell list in mid-game? :smallconfused:
If yes, which books can you draw spells from?
What are your feats? Spell save DCs?
Can you get hold of special equipment or expensive spell components?

Is anything preventing travel through the ethereal plane?

Quellian-dyrae
2007-08-18, 03:21 AM
Hmm, right, it'd just fit you. I don't suppose you have Widen Spell? Let's see here...

I'd estimate your troops and demon legions can take down their troops, elites, and demon legions, but not overwhelmingly.

Between you and your sorc with long range spells, and their frenzied berserker ("He's the best guy on OUR team!"), you could probably take out their fighter, ranger, and other barbarian before the FB dies. That'll drop their main melee support at little to no loss to you. IF you can set it up, that is. Really, with the possible exception of their two clerics, you personally seem to be the best primary character. If you and the sorc can use range, you can probably take down most of their classed individuals with minimum risk, but I don't know how many spells that would leave you with, and the clerics could be dangerous, though with your superior fly speed and SR, you should be able to handle even them. Make sure to dispel any augments they have if you plan to melee them, of course...

Wait, you have divine spells? Do you have earthquake? It's long range. A few earthquakes from 1,000 feet away could wreak havok on their fortifications if nothing else.

The only thing I really don't see a way around are those solars. Even ignoring their character levels, we're talking EL 31. With levels...34-38 depending on associated/non-associated, although myself I imagine the levels are kinda drops in the bucket. And they have solid casting, good defenses...

Heh...heh heh...if you could pull it off...if you can get all of the solars to swarm your five balors, balors get killed, chain reaction balor bomb deals a total of 500 damage to everything in 100', and since it's Ex, no SR, and damage appears to be untyped. Even making all five saves from full hp, the solars would be out at -31. They regen, though. Have other demons spam them with Unholy Blight while they're down?

Ooh! Do you have hezrou? That's what you need. Lots and lots of hezrou casting blasphemy with no regard for life...or vrocks. How many vrocks are there in your demonic legions? Set them dancing, one third of them the first round, the next third starts the second round, the last third the final round, and have them just keep it up. If you can just get it started you can start unleashing multiple dances of ruin every round. 'Course, you'll want only demonic troops to be in that area.

Mariliths have blade barrier at will. If you have a marilith or two per demon legion you could use that to limit troop movements, surround groups of troops with blade barriers. Every round another five or ten walls of 15d6 damage spring up. Walls can be 320' long or 40' radius.

Glabrezu have confusion at will. Gather up all your glabrezu and lay complete and utter waste to their army. From the air. While the mariliths surround them with blade barriers.

None of this really helps with the solars, but if you can free up your troops to attack the solars...and they can reliably do damage against DR 15...you may be able to overwhelm them through sheer numbers.

Kioran
2007-08-18, 03:31 AM
Well, some of this also depends on the spells you or the Sorceror have available. Some of the obvious favorites would, of course, be "Weird" or "Wail of the Banshee". But in a no teleportation, no ressurection campaign, good old Evocation can also do some tricks for you.

Specifically:
Crushing hand: While lvl 9, clearly capable of taking out and killing individual Solars. It has Caster lvl + Cha Mod + 16 Grapple mod, which is certainly more than the Solarīs +35. Unless the Solars are advanced, this takes one out of the picture per casting. And kills him, probably.

Greater Shout: Evil, but overlooked. Demands a Fort Save, which is the Solarīs weakest(+18). The damage it does is neglectible, but if you can ramp up the DC to where they canīt all make it and hit several Solars, they get stunned, and drop out of the Sky - 150 ft. in the first round! If they fly low you can drop them to the ground and bumrush them with your NPC Warriors.

Prismatic Spray: Evil carnage, especially against NPC-Crowds. Unfortunately, to much bookkeeping, your GM will want to punch you. Also, the Solars are immune or resistant against most of it.

Chain Lightning: For obvious reasons. The Solars are resistant to this though.

Have I mentioned that a normal or greater Rod of Widen Spell or Maximize spell would do miracles here? Do you even have access to metamagic feats?

excrtd
2007-08-18, 04:13 AM
Do you happen to know the exact HD of the solars. Do you also happen to have access to the spell compendium and the PHB II. And what is the availability of scrolls or other various items.

lord_khaine
2007-08-18, 05:26 AM
a few things, first of all though antimagic field might be a good idea, then you still lose your magical damage reduction in it.

as for the crushing hand, that would be a waste of time against the solars.
besides their lv 20 cleric casting that does include freedom of movement, then they also have greater dispel magic at will.

out of curiosity, how did you managet to end up with a 39HD dragon when all the other players are stuck with normal lv 20 chars? your ECL is more than double theirs.

Murongo
2007-08-18, 11:56 AM
a few things, first of all though antimagic field might be a good idea, then you still lose your magical damage reduction in it.

as for the crushing hand, that would be a waste of time against the solars.
besides their lv 20 cleric casting that does include freedom of movement, then they also have greater dispel magic at will.

out of curiosity, how did you managet to end up with a 39HD dragon when all the other players are stuck with normal lv 20 chars? your ECL is more than double theirs.

Hehe. That's a long story. Like literally a 7 year-spanning campaign-long story. Some of them have advantages I didn't mention though. For example, they have gear (loads of +5 and beyond items, sentient items, all that fun stuff), and my character has the clothes on his back. I don't have any fancy rods or scrolls or anything.

Also, everyone involved in this campaign is good at making characters, so CRs tend to mean less. Yeah, Great Wyrm Bronze dragons are CR 23 and they're only level 20 but our party is used to fighting CRs that are normally labeled "impossible" by the CR table. Like, when I say one of them is a "fighter" i say that because I don't know the names of all the prestige classes they take. Come to think of it their 20 fighter is a tainted avenger/kensai/fighter and probably some other stuff I forget.

Confusion is a good option except that the range is only 300 ft, and I know if I show my face alone I'm gonna get every major PC and all those solars on me before you could say unbalanced encounter. Casting invisibility on myself isn't all that useful, being colossal and evil and detectable, but I could put it on elite units and have them assassinate people on the ridge.

I can reselect my spells for a reason that would take a really really long time to explain. I already have a few down but I free slots of every level. Flavor-wise evocation (fire and lightning and all that) fits my character, but I know those are often the weakest spells. Anything to do with fear or confusion also fits the character. All ideas are appreciated though.

I have both the PHB II and the spell compendium, yes. I have 10 feats, one for being a dragon and another for every 4 HD. I was thinking of taking lots of spell focus-esque things because most of my enemies have very high saves (they like to take classes that allow you to add charisma and wisdom to your saves on top of everything else). And frankly, 26 charisma isn't that impressive.

The breath weapon versions of metamagic are horribly overpowered but if I have to take them I will.

goat
2007-08-18, 01:06 PM
You'll need to equip a lot of men with a lot of tower shields.

If you can get across the beach, you'll almost certainly engage in heavy melee in the pass. This makes it dangerous for the enemy to fire into the pass as they'll hit their own men, but it does the same to you.

If you can cast it, Earthquake on the cliffs would be good.

lord_khaine
2007-08-18, 01:16 PM
what good is tower shilds going to be, when a singel spell will blast them along with their owners to kingdom come?

invisibilty wont be a good idea for another reason, that being solars have both see invisibility and true seing at all times.
and since they also have imprisonment i would recomend getting freedom to counter this.

excrtd
2007-08-18, 01:55 PM
So this is what I was thinking. You would however need to kill about 80 or so of your troops. So using a cast of death knell and the repeated casts of consumptive field should get you a caster level of about 38ish or so. That would mean that you could cast blasphemy and everyone non evil within 40 feet will be paralyzed for 1d10 min if they have up to 33ish HD and in addition to the paralization they would also be killed if they have up to 28ish HD. The only problems are that with a caster level of 38 you would only have 38 rounds (76 with an extended consumptive field) to use your upgraded caster level before you have to renew it (if you do renew the buff then remember to do it before the last one runs out or you will need to start the caster level buffing over and waste more spells) and if they are protected form death effects but you would likely be able to dispell their protection (disjunction has the same area of effect as blasphemy 40 ft burst but blasphemy is centered on you).

So if you could get them to clump up enough you could probably kill or paralyze most of the solars and enemy PCs.

goat
2007-08-18, 02:44 PM
what good is tower shilds going to be, when a singel spell will blast them along with their owners to kingdom come?

While the big casters are there, there's going to be a lot of fighting between "normal" fighter types. The 20,000 or so normal soldiers in this battle are unlikely to be flinging spells around at each other, and the big caster-blasters are likely to save their magical artillery for each other.

PinkysBrain
2007-08-18, 03:07 PM
Control winds is a pretty good spell because of it's huge area, you can also create it higher than ground level so your troops can just walk below the winds ... safe from ranged weapons (including siege).

Still, as I said the first time ... if you want to win, just drop rocks.

BTW, why go through the pass if you can simply go underneath the hills? Summon some Thoqquas or shapechange into a beholder or something ...

Murongo
2007-08-18, 05:16 PM
Oh right, no summon monster either :/

PinkysBrain
2007-08-18, 08:07 PM
Shapechange? Throw some illusions of you and your allied PCs far out at sea, cast water breathing and shapechange into a thoqqua and just tunnel straight towards the god bodies from below the sea. Let the mooks fight it out at the beaches while you go straight for the goal.

Just because there is no teleportation magic doesn't mean you have to think in 2D, be Kirk ... not Khan ;)

Anxe
2007-08-18, 08:44 PM
This is a simple answer. The enemy is on cliffs so use Earthquake.
Oh, and for music you should use the Van Helsing Soundtrack. You can get it on iTunes. Awesome stuff for battles.
Another idea I've always wanted to use is similar to MMORPG. Piss off a bunch of flying monsters, then lead them to the island and cast invisibility.
Try and get the enemy troops to fight each other. If they're Orcs this can be done as simply as with a disguise self or invisibility and punching one of them. Other races are tougher, but you might be able to get the same thing to happen if you charm/dominate a lieutenant and have him command his unit to attack the other units.
An idea me and my friends thought up for cheap artillery. You have one flying person with a few buckets full of dirt and some Quall's Feather Tokens (Tree). You throw the token to the "earth" in the bucket and drop it on the enemy. It'll hopefully hit a few and then block archery shots on your troops.
Mass spider climb your troops to get up the cliffs if you can.
Another idea similar to the tree dropping thingy is to drop a bunch of snakes or something creepy like that. It'll break the enemy's morale somewhat.
Another idea for dropping stuff! BEER! LOTS OF BEER! Or whiskey or some other hard liquor. Mix in a few poisoned bottles with the beer drop.
Give your own troops a speech similar to one of Churchill's. Your DM might give them a morale bonus to combat.

There you go! A butt load of ideas.

ForzaFiori
2007-08-18, 08:56 PM
Music: Dyer Maker - Led Zeppelin. (what? its my fight song XD)

stratagy: Have all air forces strafe the cliffs at the begging of the fight. The arrows may hit you, but you'll take out most of their siege equipment hopefully. Use mages to blast the cliffs with various spells (anything big, bad, ranged, and AoE). Once their cliff defenses are softened, you should have enough blood to open that rift. use the extra men to just completely storm the beach.

If the air attack doesn't work, then send several higher ranking people (so they dont get destroyed by the arrows) to the cliffs, and have them climb up after the mages blast the cliff. they can take care of the siege equipment so that the forces can storm in.

Murongo
2007-08-19, 12:33 AM
Shapechange? Throw some illusions of you and your allied PCs far out at sea, cast water breathing and shapechange into a thoqqua and just tunnel straight towards the god bodies from below the sea. Let the mooks fight it out at the beaches while you go straight for the goal.

Just because there is no teleportation magic doesn't mean you have to think in 2D, be Kirk ... not Khan ;)

No summon monster or shapechange but I like the idea of burrowing... are there any spells that might allow it?

PinkysBrain
2007-08-19, 12:50 AM
Sure, burrow ... unfortunately islands tend to be composed of rock, so that won't work.

The spell Earth Glide from Races of Stone would though (sor/wiz 8).

Jack_Simth
2007-08-19, 01:50 AM
Sure, burrow ... unfortunately islands tend to be composed of rock, so that won't work.

The spell Earth Glide from Races of Stone would though (sor/wiz 8).
Passwall (PHB; Sor/Wiz 5; Transmutation) or Phase Door (PHB; Sor/Wiz 7, Travel 8; Conjouration(Creation)) will do the job too, if you cast it enough.

Ethereal Jaunt (PHB; Clr 7, Sor/Wiz 7; Transmutation) or Etherealness (PHB; Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 9; Transmutation) will also do the job, provided there's a space at your destination.

In other words, bypass the army. Kill the gods bodies in their sleep. Leave one of the sparkcasters up top (ideally with a Project Image and some illusion so it looks like the missing sparkcaster - so both can be seen zapping away) so that it's difficult to determine that you're missing. If they don't know you're pulling a run-around, you're set.

Pastafarian
2007-08-21, 06:11 PM
I agree; the beach is a deathtrap. Do whatever it takes to avoid relying on being able to break through with a straight-up assault. I would suggest launching a diversionary attack while you and some other flyers sneak around and hit the gods from the other side of the island. Even better, if possible, find another beach you can land on and hit it with the diversion.

raistlin807
2007-08-21, 10:50 PM
I didn't read all the way through the reccomendations but here's what I suggest: I saw someone say airbourne drop and that is defenitely an option but at first I say if you are capable, shell the beach head with artillery. Airbourne insertions are great but you waste men by dropping them into pristine defenses. As the attacker you have an inherent advantage, you get to choose where the attack lands. You might also want to try creating illusions of your forces to act as distractions to the defendses.

Your priorities should be

1. Prevent active communication and rest.
2. Clear paths for your troops to advance without being under constant attack.
3. Insert Airbourne to disrupt enemy lines even more.

Since you are trying to distroy the god's bodies, why not just sink the island?

This is probably all stuff you already went over, I strongly encourage you to look at modern invasion strategy.