PDA

View Full Version : Sniper Build Help

FaceofBo
2017-11-09, 12:40 PM
Hello Playground,
I've been flitting around this site for about half a year now, and I've seen many sniper-esq builds go through, but never any consensus on which build is the best. One states that you want to go Fighter 3, Rogue X for the fighting style and then sneak attack, or just Pure Ranger because Hunter shenanigans. I'm trying to do a Halfling Crossbow Expert, and I'm starting at level 12, but I haven't been able to make up my mind.

What sniper/scout build would you suggest?
Thanks in advance :D

clash
2017-11-09, 01:16 PM
With UA or if you wait for Xanathars, Inquisitive rogue all the way. Fighter 1 for fighting style if you plan on going with sharpshooter but on only one attack its generally not worth it.

Insightful fighting allows you to pick off the caster in the back without advantage or allies nearby and gets rid of the whole I attack then hide feel. Also saves up your bonus action for crossbow expert because it lasts for a minute.

Steady eye is very much the right theme for a sniper, as is Eye for Weakness if you ever get that far.

also for a scout type reliable talent at rogue 11 is a must have.

Specter
2017-11-09, 01:24 PM
Ranger 5/Rogue X. Sneak Attack, Expertise, Pass Without Trace, Extra Attack... That's all you need.

Lord Vukodlak
2017-11-09, 02:16 PM
Battlemaster with Precision and Trip and be quite useful on sniper rogue/fighter.

Precision because it can add an extra d8 to your to hit to counter a poor roll or help deal with sharpshooters optional -5/+10 to hit thing. And trip because it works on flying creatures.
But if you do a rogue mix over pure ranger, skip the crossbow expert feat. You have cunning action if you get stuck in melee and ignoring the loading property is pretty pointless without the extra attack feature.

If you take five levels in ranger like suggested above, use a shortbow

Joe the Rat
2017-11-09, 04:00 PM
For a Sniper
Essentials
Archery Fighting Style
Stealth - for simple Advantage
Sharpshooter - even if you don't use the -5/+10, ignoring cover and range penalties can be quite beneficial.
(Rogue and Fighter 1 or Ranger 2)
Sneak Attack - I've seen this be the biggest force multiplier for hidden shooters.

Add-ons
Damage boosters- Hunter's mark, Hex, Colossus Slayer, superiority dice
Attack roll boosters- superiority dice
Stealth expertise
(Hunter's mark and Hex require being closer to your target. Colossus slayer requires them to be already hurt.)
Skulker - don't have to move if you miss.

gravy - nice, but not necessary
Extra Attack - you are a one-shot-one-kill. Shooting twice is not strictly necessary.
Crossbow Expert (IFF you intend to get extra attack)

Easy_Lee
2017-11-09, 04:17 PM
Hello Playground,
I've been flitting around this site for about half a year now, and I've seen many sniper-esq builds go through, but never any consensus on which build is the best. One states that you want to go Fighter 3, Rogue X for the fighting style and then sneak attack, or just Pure Ranger because Hunter shenanigans. I'm trying to do a Halfling Crossbow Expert, and I'm starting at level 12, but I haven't been able to make up my mind.

What sniper/scout build would you suggest?
Thanks in advance :D

Is revised ranger allowed? If so, ranger 6 / rogue with crossbow expert and sharpshooter will yield the highest damage and most sneaky scouty-ness that I know of. As long as you know what kind of creatures you'll be fighting, you can choose them with Favored Enemy and get +12 damage per round (three attacks) against that type of foe.

Deepstalker or hunter and thief, assassin, or mastermind are all great for this build

Mortis_Elrod
2017-11-09, 05:18 PM
at level 12 i might go full hexblade. But thats a bit magicky for some so... a traditional sniper build is what i will show.

Bm fighter 3/ Revised ranger (hunter or stalker) 6/ Rogue 3

Alot of rogues are good but i like the scout the most for this.

If your table still allows Close Quarters Shooter from the underdark UA take that and Archery fighting style.
If you feel like you can for without a feature move the levels a round a bit but make sure you have

-action surge
-sneak attack
-cunning acion
-extra attack
-ranger subclass feature

also pick up SS. If you stay in 30 ft using scout to not get hit you can forgo XBE with close quarters shooter
and you should be good.

If you want a non conventional option 12 levels of hexblade makes a pretty effective archer, with alot of non dice dependent damage (1+chax2+proff+dice+SS)x2 with extra attack and optional smites for added burst, and you function as melee perfectly fine. You are also still a fullcaster so theres that. if you play further up in levels i suggest dipping in rogue/ranger/fighter if you have the stats as these will add a bit more to the concept and dpr with sneak attack and fighting styles and other various non warlock goodies.

Kane0
2017-11-09, 06:04 PM
Hmm.

Battlemaster Fighter 3 (Archery Fighting Style, Second Wind, Maneuvers)
Assassin Rogue 3+ (Expertise, Cunning Action, Sneak Attack, Assassinate)
Hexblade Bladelock 3+ (Hexblade Curse, Improved Pact Weapon, Devil's Sight)

Optional:
Stalker Revised Ranger 3 (Favored Enemy, 2nd Fighting Style, Hunter's Mark, Underdark Scout)

Notable feats to consider: Lucky, Sharpshooter, Alert, Observant, Elven Accuracy. Possibly Skulker.

In theory if you get surprise you get a crit longbow shot + sneak attack + BM maneuver damage + curse/hex/hunter's mark damage + invocation smite, plus favored enemy and a second attack for free if taking stalker ranger and the chance to action surge for a follow up strike. Niche, but fun.