PDA

View Full Version : building a whip wielding/spell sniping/booming blade/sneak attacking PC

imtodd
2017-11-09, 03:12 PM
Working on a backup char because we're in Strahd and, well, vampires and werewolves happen. Right? Here's what I'd like to be able to do, how it is done is completely open for debate.

Wield a whip
Cast booming blade
Use spell sniper feat
Have sneak attack dice
Increased mobility
Good AC

Use standard point buy for stats. PHB, Volo's, SCAG races are open for use. Same goes for archetypes. Also anything that might be coming up from Xanathar's would be available as well, some UA maybe (just depends). Points for creativeness because if somehow you can do all that with a barb/cleric I'd like to hear it! :)

EDIT: I'm kidding about barb/cleric, I just threw that out there because I don't really see that combo working, but I appreciate those that tried! In my mind I had something like Fighter 2, Spellsinger 2, Rogue x. I just wanted to hear what other combos others could think of.

Thanks in advance!

nickl_2000
2017-11-09, 03:21 PM
What level are you playing?

Hypersmith
2017-11-09, 03:23 PM
You can do it with any casting class and a single ASI in general. Easiest way IMO is paladin or ranger so you start with whip proficiency and spells. Take Variant Human and use your first ASI on spell sniper, grab either booming blade or GFB using the spell granted by the feat. If you want to go pure rogue and get it you need to invest in two feats, Weapon Master using your Vuman feat for the whip, and then spell sniper for the spells. For a barb/cleric, same thing pretty much, take Vuman for your feat go spell sniper, first level in cleric, next level in barb for martial weapon proficiency. I'm sure you can build from there. If you want sneak attack, rogue is the way to go.

tieren
2017-11-09, 03:25 PM
Working on a backup char because we're in Strahd and, well, vampires and werewolves happen. Right? Here's what I'd like to be able to do, how it is done is completely open for debate.

Wield a whip
Cast booming blade
Use spell sniper feat
Have sneak attack dice
Increased mobility
Good AC

Use standard point buy for stats. PHB, Volo's, SCAG races are open for use. Same goes for archetypes. Also anything that might be coming up from Xanathar's would be available as well, some UA maybe (just depends). Points for creativeness because if somehow you can do all that with a barb/cleric I'd like to hear it! :)

Thanks in advance!

I would also be interested in learning how you get sneak attack dice with a barb/cleric.

I assume you want to cast booming blade with the whip and spell sniper feat. Spell sniper will let you double to 10 foot range, not the full 15 of the whip.

Hypersmith
2017-11-09, 03:32 PM
Spell sniper will let you double to 10 foot range, not the full 15 of the whip.

Whips are a reach weapon - they only have 10 foot range.

nickl_2000
2017-11-09, 03:34 PM
I would say VHuman Death Domain Cleric.
8, 16, 16, 8, 15, 8

VHuman Feat: Spellsniper. Cantrip Learned Booming Blade
1) Death Domain Cleric
2) Cleric
3) Rogue
4) Rogue
5) Rogue Mastermind to help friends from a distance
6) Rogue +2 Dex ASI
7) Cleric if you want level 2 spells, Rogue if you want an extra d6 sneak attack and uncanny dodge

Studded Leather Armor, Whip to attack
AC: 12 + 3 + 2 = 17 At Level 1
Booming Blade from Spell Sniper
Sneak Attack Starting at level 3
Necrotic Damage by channeling Divinity
Rogue Bonus Evade/Dash

With level 7
AC: 18
Sneak Attack 3d6
Rogue Bonus Evade/Dash/Dodge/Help from 30ft

You have very strong survivability. The ability to drop some pretty major damage, and the ability to help allies with the help action and emergency healing.

Cast Booming Blade and hit with the whip from 10 feet away. Can run a long ways afterwards with dash, or you can give the friend between you and the bad guy advantage on their attacks too once you hit level 5. Your first level cleric spells used would be healing word and Bless since you don't need to worry about the lower DC.

If you want to cast more Cleric spells or heal better, trade your Con score and Wisdom score.

imtodd
2017-11-09, 03:36 PM
What level are you playing?

We're level 7 right now but I'd be interested in the level progression as well. Just in case a different campaign were to open and I'd start at 1.

I would also be interested in learning how you get sneak attack dice with a barb/cleric.

I assume you want to cast booming blade with the whip and spell sniper feat. Spell sniper will let you double to 10 foot range, not the full 15 of the whip.

I should say the barb/cleric comment was in jest since I don't see how it could be done, but I'm still a newbie. Also I don't think you can cast while raging and if I were a barb I'd want to rage. Right? And yes, I want the spell sniper feat to be able to hit at 10' range with the whip. I guess the premise is to get into and out of danger without putting myself in any real danger. Also the reason for the request of increased mobility.

Joe the Rat
2017-11-09, 03:43 PM
VHuman Tempest Cleric 2+/Barb X/Rogue X Starting Feat: Spell Sniper (Booming Blade).

Tempest Cleric gets you martial weapon proficiency and level 1 spellcasting, allowing you to take spell sniper as your starting feat (Sorry Ranger & Paladin, you don't count as a caster until 2). At some point get at least 2nd level for Destructive Wrath to maximize your blade.

If your DM does not allow Booming Blade under Spell Sniper (you aren't making a spell attack - using your casting stat bonus for the roll), switch to Arcana Cleric, and take BB as a cantrip. In this case, take Thorn Whip as your spell sniper spell. Now in addition to your booming whip, you have the option of a 60' melee attack whip that pulls creatures closer... keying off of Wisdom (your casting stat). Take Barb1 next to get the whip.

Add Barbarian and Rogue levels to taste.

Hypersmith
2017-11-09, 03:45 PM
(Sorry Ranger & Paladin, you don't count as a caster until 2)

Dang, forgot about that.

imtodd, you starting at 7, or do you already have 7 levels of something?

imtodd
2017-11-09, 03:48 PM
Dang, forgot about that.

imtodd, you starting at 7, or do you already have 7 levels of something?

Starting at 7.

Throne12
2017-11-09, 04:04 PM
I would say VHuman Death Domain Cleric.
8, 16, 16, 8, 15, 8

VHuman Feat: Spellsniper. Cantrip Learned Booming Blade
1) Death Domain Cleric
2) Cleric
3) Rogue
4) Rogue
5) Rogue Mastermind to help friends from a distance
6) Rogue +2 Dex ASI
7) Cleric if you want level 2 spells, Rogue if you want an extra d6 sneak attack and uncanny dodge

Studded Leather Armor, Whip to attack
AC: 12 + 3 + 2 = 17 At Level 1
Sneak Attack Starting at level 3
Rogue Bonus Evade/Dash

With level 7
AC: 18
Sneak Attack 3d6
Rogue Bonus Evade/Dash/Dodge/Help from 30ft

You have very strong survivability. The ability to drop some pretty major damage, and the ability to help allies with the help action and emergency healing.

Cast Booming Blade and hit with the whip from 10 feet away. Can run a long ways afterwards with dash, or you can give the friend between you and the bad guy advantage on their attacks too once you hit level 5. Your first level cleric spells used would be healing word and Bless since you don't need to worry about the lower DC.

If you want to cast more Cleric spells or heal better, trade your Con score and Wisdom score.

That necro damage is cool and all but he's said he's playing in CoS just about everything has res or immune to necro damage type.

Throne12
2017-11-09, 04:27 PM

Wield a whip
Cast booming blade
Use spell sniper feat
Have sneak attack dice
Increased mobility
Good AC

EDIT: I'm kidding about barb/cleric, I just threw that out there because I don't really see that combo working, but I appreciate those that tried! In my mind I had something like Fighter 2, Spellsinger 2, Rogue x. I just wanted to hear what other combos others could think of.

Thanks in advance!

Ok here is build
Race: Eladren UA.
Class: rogue swashbuckler with 2 levels of bladesinger
Feat at 4th lv: spellsniper cantrip thorn whip

You get booming blade and prof from bladesinger you also get nice AC thanks to mage armor and blade song. Swashbuckler gives you mobility along with Eladrin' s once a short rest misty step. You get sneak attack from the 4 levels of rogue and a extra d8 from booming blade being that your a 7th level character. You only really need Dex but your going to want a good Int and a Decent charisma if you can afford it. Stats you want highest to lowest Dex, Int, Con, Cha, Wis, Str.

I never used point buy so I can't stat it out AFB

pdegan2814
2017-11-09, 06:50 PM
My first thought is a Rogue/Bladelock mix, Blade Pact would give you the whip proficiency as well as access to Booming Blade.

nickl_2000
2017-11-09, 07:28 PM
That necro damage is cool and all but he's said he's playing in CoS just about everything has res or immune to necro damage type.

Fair enough, I didn't know CoS well enough. Just trade death domain for War domain and make wisdom 16 for the bonus attacks per long rest and +10 for when you need that sneak attack to hit

bid
2017-11-10, 12:39 AM
Wield a whip
Cast booming blade
Use spell sniper feat
Have sneak attack dice
Increased mobility
Good AC

Whip is martial melee, which limit choices.
Best AC would be shield and defense style.
You need caster 1 to be able to grab spell sniper.

Vuman or half-elf.
Start rogue for an extra skill, or lock for Wis/Cha saves.
Hexblade as caster 1 also gives martial and AC17 with shield.
Rogue 4 feat is spell sniper.

Half-elf 8 16 14 10 12 16 works great with swashbuckler.
Lock 1 / rogue 6, get a breastplate for AC18.
Lock 1 / rogue 8, get Cha18.

Vuman can drop to Cha14 for an extra feat such as lucky/mobile.
Lock 2 / rogue 5 with mage armor for AC18.
Lock 2 / rogue 8, get Dex18 for AC19.

Go for Cha18 and smile your way to sneak attacks. Nothing has more "swash" than using Cha to attack.:smallbiggrin:
And you can even Dex14 / Con16 that way.