PDA

View Full Version : Any restrictions on what I can do while flying?

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-11-09, 03:34 PM
Just wondering if attacks with bows or any spell casting are negatively affected if you are flying.

Joe the Rat
2017-11-09, 03:46 PM
In short: no.

Long answer: Flight does not preclude or affect other activities, with the exception of going prone.

iTreeby
2017-11-09, 03:47 PM
You can go prone while flying, you just stop flying and start falling. Not sure if that applies to magical flight though.

UrielAwakened
2017-11-09, 03:50 PM
The whole point of prone is you're being knocked down.

It stands to reason unless magical flight lets you somehow push upward with more force than you're getting hit with, you also fall prone.

Contrast
2017-11-09, 03:52 PM
Utilise a burrowing speed? :smallbiggrin:

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-11-09, 03:53 PM
Thank you all very much.

Not that it matters, but for fluff does the fly spell work like Superman or do we need to flap or anything? What is generally accepted?

iTreeby
2017-11-09, 04:13 PM
Oh man I assumed it was superman style but flapping or swimming sounds so much better. Or maybe you only gain Altitude by holding your breath...

GlenSmash!
2017-11-09, 04:14 PM
The whole point of prone is you're being knocked down.

It stands to reason unless magical flight lets you somehow push upward with more force than you're getting hit with, you also fall prone.

I don't know if it's the whole point.

If someone was shooting at my character with arrows, I might have him drop prone to give the attacks disadvantage.

I certainly wouldn't do it while flying though.

DivisibleByZero
2017-11-09, 04:15 PM
Just wondering if attacks with bows or any spell casting are negatively affected if you are flying.

I don't think you'll get through security with that kind of thing.

GlenSmash!
2017-11-09, 04:17 PM
Thank you all very much.

Not that it matters, but for fluff does the fly spell work like Superman or do we need to flap or anything? What is generally accepted?

i always assumed the tiny hairs on your skin are flapping like a protozoan's cilia.

GlenSmash!
2017-11-09, 04:18 PM
I don't think you'll get through security with that kind of thing.

Naw. You're fine as long as you don't have toenail clippers.

Spookykid
2017-11-10, 08:15 AM
when you fire a bow you start moving backwards, not sure how spells would affect you though

LeonBH
2017-11-10, 08:22 AM
You can go prone while flying, you just stop flying and start falling. Not sure if that applies to magical flight though.

By RAW, if you're flying by magic such as the Fly spell, you don't fall when someone causes you to go prone.

Joe the Rat
2017-11-10, 11:16 AM
I apologize for bringing prone into the discussion.

And no, magical flight brings no particular requirement of action (other than using your move action to move) - or body position for that matter. You should totally have fun with that.

Temperjoke
2017-11-10, 11:24 AM
I would imagine that it also depends on the method of flight, and how realistic the DM wants to be about conditions in the air. I mean, the Fly spell is a concentration, so you couldn't use another concentration spell. If you're riding a flying animal, the DM might require an animal handling check depending on what you're trying. The DM might rule that wind and weather is giving you a disadvantage on what you're trying to do. But as far as set rules go, off the top of my head I don't think there's anything special just because you are flying.

tieren
2017-11-10, 01:13 PM
I would imagine that it also depends on the method of flight, and how realistic the DM wants to be about conditions in the air. I mean, the Fly spell is a concentration, so you couldn't use another concentration spell. If you're riding a flying animal, the DM might require an animal handling check depending on what you're trying. The DM might rule that wind and weather is giving you a disadvantage on what you're trying to do. But as far as set rules go, off the top of my head I don't think there's anything special just because you are flying.

I was going to say something similar.

Broom of flying might be more difficult to control if you want to use a 2 hand weapon or something.

Honest Tiefling
2017-11-10, 01:44 PM

If a player asked to to this, I'd rule they just lie down and hover around like an idiot in the air. VROOOOOOM

More upright, as if they were on a flying segway. I think most art of floaty mages tends to support this.

You could make them roll charisma to see how elegantly they do so.

Slipperychicken
2017-11-10, 02:25 PM
Back in the day, Levitate penalized characters attempting ranged attacks. I think they dumped that rule more for simplicity than anything else.

RickAllison
2017-11-10, 03:13 PM
Magical flight doesn't matter when considering whether prone knocks you down. What matters is whether the fly speed is a hover (such as for a Demilich) or if the method of flight has specific other text. For example, Eagle Totem Barbarians are almost certainly flying through a specific and limited form of magic, but they will fall if they get knocked prone. If the flight doesn't say you are hovering, or explicitly mentions what happens when falling, you just fall.

LeonBH
2017-11-10, 03:20 PM
PHB 191: Flying Movement. "If a flying creature is knocked prone [...], the creature falls unless it has the ability to hover or it is being held aloft by magic, such as by the Fly spell."

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-11-10, 09:02 PM
Thank you all for all the advice.

On a side note I just had the realization my flying Bard is a girl and one of the two mini's I have for her is wearing a skirt. Guess its time to use the other one which is more dressed for combat and wearing pants for the sake of modesty.

Avigor
2017-11-10, 09:15 PM
It would depend on the DM, but I could see some spells, such as Earth Tremor, which emanate out from you and explicitly effect the ground, not working right while flying. Of course, even then they might still work (albeit with less effect) even in with such a DM if there is ground within range, such as you're only 5 feet up or you're floating in the air near the edge of a cliff or something.

RickAllison
2017-11-10, 09:38 PM
Thank you all for all the advice.

On a side note I just had the realization my flying Bard is a girl and one of the two mini's I have for her is wearing a skirt. Guess its time to use the other one which is more dressed for combat and wearing pants for the sake of modesty.

Why do you need that? Just use Monty Oum's "ANTI-UPSKIRT TECHNOLOGY (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicSkirt)!

Honest Tiefling
2017-11-10, 10:40 PM

"I prepared explosive runes today" seems mighty appropriate here for when you get higher level. Just saying.

Laserlight
2017-11-10, 11:26 PM
Thank you all very much.

Face first, while screaming wildly and/or firing Firebolt or Thunderclap behind you.

Lombra
2017-11-11, 05:17 AM
On the knocked prone thing: if you are airborne and are knocked prone, you fall to the ground unless you have an hover speed (like beholders) . Plus, if you get grappled ore restrained your speed drops to zero, which means that you fall as well.

LeonBH
2017-11-11, 06:05 AM
On the knocked prone thing: if you are airborne and are knocked prone, you fall to the ground unless you have an hover speed (like beholders) . Plus, if you get grappled ore restrained your speed drops to zero, which means that you fall as well.

Unless you are held aloft by magic, such as by the Fly spell.

Lombra
2017-11-11, 07:13 AM
Unless you are held aloft by magic, such as by the Fly spell.

You are right! Missed that bit on page 191.

Slipperychicken
2017-11-11, 09:15 AM
"I prepared explosive runes today" seems mighty appropriate here for when you get higher level. Just saying.

I guess you don't need to worry as much about modesty when you've blown your own legs off, sure.

Also, spell glyph objects can't be moved more than 10 feet from where it was cast. It wouldn't work.

Dalebert
2017-11-11, 03:01 PM
Broom of flying might be more difficult to control if you want to use a 2 hand weapon or something.

I wonder about this as well. The broom says nothing about it. If anything, it seems as if the broom is treated like a mount. It can fly without you. It follows your commands. You ride it. I've even wondered if the broom could disengage but I've opted not to bring it up because I don't want to deal with all the complications like creatures being able to attack my broom. So I just assume it's an item granting me flight and leave it at that.

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-12-04, 12:05 AM
Why do you need that? Just use Monty Oum's "ANTI-UPSKIRT TECHNOLOGY (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicSkirt)!

That was a good link. I might use a reference or two from it in game.

Luccan
2017-12-04, 03:17 AM
Can't walk