PDA

View Full Version : I have a theory about the Monster in the Dark *Spoiler possibility*

Charles Phipps
2007-08-17, 11:36 PM
Is it possible he's the Snarl?

I think its funny as a possibility. It's ungodly powerful and appeared when Xykon was in control of a portal, is it possible that it's the Snarl and no one realizes because it's not such a bad guy?

;-)

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-17, 11:47 PM
SoD Spoilers

No, not unless a hunter could recognize a piece of the Snarl in the jungle. I know that and I haven't even read Start of Darkness.

Although pre-SoD I definitely would consider your theory.

Oberon
2007-08-18, 12:25 AM
This has been debated Endlessly, with the response always being "it's proven wrong in SoD."

I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of SoD yet, but if so many people say so, it's probably pretty conclusive.

Kreistor
2007-08-18, 12:40 AM
Ungodly powerful? We haven't seen that. Strong, yes. Humourously strong, in fact. And that's the key point. The MitD's strength has been a source of humour. There's been other cases where consistency has been abandoned in favour of humour, such as the debate over Belkar's Wisdom (see the Class and level Geekery thread for that argument). It is not a good idea to base conclusions on anything that involvees a belly laugh in this comic.

It is strong, sure, but just because it throws people around wiht its strength doesn't make it insanely strong. Roy himself knocked Miko back several meters into a wall, after all. That's not technically present in the rules, so does that make Roy supernaturally strong? No, it's just done for comic book effect. Same with the MitD. Even so, abnormally high strength in a small package is allowed in the rules. A troll with PC class levels can be stronger than giants, because the base MM troll is built on stats of 11 and 10, but they get the elite array (one stat a 16 before racial modifiers, raising strength by +5) or even higher (technically, to maintain game balance, you build it using the same style as the PC's themselves). Then toss on equipment (Belt of Giatn Strength) or buffs (Bull's Strength) from potions, and power attack because you don't need all that attack bonus to hit and there you are -- mega-strong NPC. Worse, toss it a template (half-dragon, for instance), and it is stronger still. Strength is the easiest stat to raise.

EntilZha
2007-08-18, 07:31 AM
MITD reminds me a lot of the Creature in the Pit in the Sleestak cave in the original Land of the Lost. There's supposed to be this nasty monster in the smoke and mist filled pit, but we never see it, not even when Marshall, Rick, or Holly get tossed in.

Fitzclowningham
2007-08-18, 11:15 AM
No. It is not a piece of the Snarl. Period. End of Discussion.

the_tick_rules
2007-08-18, 11:33 AM
hmm, maybe his avatar?

Quezovercoatl
2007-08-18, 01:23 PM
Really all that Start of Darkness proves is that the MITD is either an intelligent (relatively) version of some (comparatively) normal non-jungle dwelling creature or is something that looks like said creature. It does not disprove the snarl connection theory just makes the already shaky theory a bit more shaky.

Horned
2007-08-21, 09:22 AM
MiTD is a weregerbil

Ing
2007-08-21, 09:42 AM
Well so far we known the MitD has

a) damage reduction
b) Earthquake as a spell like ability which can be used at MOST once per day (possibly less to once a week)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-08-21, 10:14 AM
b) Earthquake as a spell like ability which can be used at MOST once per day (possibly less to once a week)

That was it stomping its foot, not a spell like ability.

The MitD also can send people flying by hitting them.

Niether are these possible in the DnD rules.

From this I can draw the terrorfying conclusion that the MitD has real world physics, making it an abomination in this DnD inspired world.

DraPrime
2007-08-21, 10:23 AM
From this I can draw the terrorfying conclusion that the MitD has real world physics, making it an abomination in this DnD inspired world.

That won't end well.

Dalenthas
2007-08-21, 10:35 AM
::bangs head on wall::

BRC
2007-08-21, 10:47 AM
There are two theories I like
1. the Mitd is, in fact, the essence of darkness, and thus when you make contact with the darkness the chance of getting eaten by a grue goes up to 100%
2. The MitD is schroders monster, and thus is every monster possible simultaniously.

Prince_Rohan
2007-08-21, 11:08 AM
Here's my SWAG based on three things...

- Rich is gifted in the obscure
- umbrella space
- no one else has mentioned it

...but I'll go with one of creatures in the H.P. Lovercraft section of the original Dieties & Demigods. Time/space don't mean a lot to those critters so fitting under an umbrella wouldn't be as much of an issue.

tleilaxu
2007-08-21, 11:24 AM
I propose the MitD is black in color.

Reasons:

- When Redcloak is raising undead he asks MitD if he is volunteering to be material components. The material component for animate dead is a black onyx.

- MitD likes rainbow brite and is afraid of the color sucking bad guys in that cartoon.

- It will be funny when he finally comes out of the shadows and he is still black.

This, added to the fact that MitD is from a jungle, leads me to believe he is some sort of Jaguar.

Rabulias
2007-08-21, 11:04 PM
I think the MITD is.... D&D 4th Edition! :smallsmile:

No one knows what it looks like, it's very powerful, and no one knows whether it's good or evil....

sikyon
2007-08-21, 11:30 PM
I have a theory. MitD is some creature with a massive, massive number of templates.