PDA

View Full Version : Optimization New Thor Builds using XGtE

PeteNutButter
2017-11-09, 05:37 PM
Storm Herald 5/Tempest Cleric 8

16, 14, 14, 9, 13, 8
Start GWM, ASI str +2, str +2

Basic Barbarian build, plus cool features via cleric. It's your standard Rage + Reckless attack + GWM. The twist is starting round 2 of combat, you activate your Sea Storm Aura and blast the foe for a measly 1d6 lightning damage and push them 10 feet. You can then walk away freely, using up to your 40ft movement speed, effectively negating the drawback of reckless attack.

This works best if you have another tanky ally who is happy to hold the front, even better if they have sentinel or are a cavalier.

An alternate build is to go Tempest Cleric 8/Hexblade 5.
8, 14, 14, 9, 13, 16
Variant Human: PAM, +2 Cha, Warcaster

Same basic trick, but you instead use elemental weapon to get the job done. You'll need some concentration booster, such as resilient con, and/or warcaster, but you could potentially knock foes back 30 feet a round, with PAM.

This one also can use it's cleric slots to cast these spells, and other things like shield, so you don't waste your 3rd level pact slots.

Builds like these two have existed, but past builds would take longer to come online fully. These both activate at level 11, and as long as you take your extra attack class first to 5, you are fully functional all the way through. If not, the barbarian one can come online as early as level 9. Neither is fully optimal, but more fun based, as shoving things around is just fun. You'd do more damage with a straight hexblade for instance.

Full disclosure: I'm probably going to be spamming builds now that I have the book.

Honest Tiefling
2017-11-09, 05:41 PM
Full disclosure: I'm probably going to be spamming builds now that I have the book.

Why not make a thread of it? Having some movie or comic book or video game inspired builds to pilfer could be a boon to newer players...Or people trying to figure out who the hell these people are when DMing for hopeful players.