PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 2 level hex for a blade singer

spartan_ah
2017-11-09, 05:54 PM
So I have a player that is a bladesinger. he's not a meta gamer but not stupid either.
He wants to add 2 levels of hexblade but he asked me to change main stat to INT.

now I know it will bring him as a strong melee but it might compensate for the bladesinger lack of offense that bothers me as well.
is it OP? so he will probably take smite and maybe EB, but as an elf he has long bow. he won't be able to use TWF nor THW cause of bladesong. so basically he could lower dex (but not dump it cause of AC) and focus on INT. 2 smites per short rest and the curse...
again, he's not a meta gamer but a pretty decent roleplayer. and it might spark the bladesong to the offnsive side.

thoughts?

spartan_ah
2017-11-09, 05:57 PM
just saw this

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/01/16/why-are-warlock-charisma-casters/

Avonar
2017-11-09, 06:01 PM
I would be very careful about allowing this. All you need are the two levels of Wizard for Bladesong, put the rest into Warlock and boost your INT to get a high AC, high damage melee caster.

EDIT: Bear in mind that the Sage Advice you linked would have been before Bladesinger and Hexblade.

spartan_ah
2017-11-09, 06:13 PM
it's gonna be 2 lvls of hex and the rest are in bladesong

alchahest
2017-11-09, 06:22 PM
Melee attacks are just kind of a side thing bladesingers do, it's not going to overpower them in that way. Where you're going to run into some potential issues is high level castings of Armor of Agathys for those sweet sweet non-concentration temporary hit points.

pdegan2814
2017-11-09, 06:28 PM
So I have a player that is a bladesinger. he's not a meta gamer but not stupid either.
He wants to add 2 levels of hexblade but he asked me to change main stat to INT.

now I know it will bring him as a strong melee but it might compensate for the bladesinger lack of offense that bothers me as well.
is it OP? so he will probably take smite and maybe EB, but as an elf he has long bow. he won't be able to use TWF nor THW cause of bladesong. so basically he could lower dex (but not dump it cause of AC) and focus on INT. 2 smites per short rest and the curse...
again, he's not a meta gamer but a pretty decent roleplayer. and it might spark the bladesong to the offnsive side.

thoughts?

I wouldn't allow this. Even under normal circumstances I'd be leery about it(it changes a fundamental aspect of the Warlock class AND it skates around the multiclassing rules requiring certain ability scores), but in the case of the Hexblade it's all kinds of broken. He would be using Int for casting both Wizard and Warlock spells, which I'm already uncomfortable with. It would also become his weapon attack stat as a Hexblade, AND an AC boost when Bladesinging.

Throne12
2017-11-10, 09:38 AM
No because he's power gaming if he wants hex he can just take 1 level of warlock for it and put in a wizard spell slots. He will be getting a lot at level 2 warlock.

He will get first level abilities which fgor a hexblade is a lot compared to other warlocks. Then he will get 2 invocations.

So that's prof with light, medium and shield prof

All weapons and then get to use Int as attacking stat.

Then you get the hexblade curse. With you crit on 19 and 20. You regain hp warlock lv + cha now Int. And you add damage to attacks equal to your cha now Int.

Now we have the two invocations to pick.

Then you get 2 spell slots that refresh on a short rest. Add in wizards arcane recovery that's a good chunk of spell slots getting back on a short rest.

That's too much to gain with two levels on top of making it a Int based instead of cha. No just say no

Maxilian
2017-11-10, 10:22 AM
Initiality i would say no (its a huge boost for the Wizard), but if you are ok with strong PCs then give him a quest, and if he complete it, he gets this as a reward.