PDA

View Full Version : Assassin Multiclass Choice (Help)

Nyan
2017-11-09, 08:36 PM
So to make things breif i really just want to know mechanically speaking which class you would multiclass with an assassin between Paladin with oath of treachery or Warlock Hexblade with bladepact.

We are at lvl 3 so i just got assassin. im planning on going the rest of the way in either of these two but its really hard to pick.

A few more important notes on my character and the gm

1. Gm will let me multiclass in to paladin depsite lack of 13 str.

Stats are: Str 10, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 16.

Variant human so i have taken the Mobile Feat.

Gm is not very generous with short rest. We usually do one big fight and then there is a long rest. So that might influence the choice somewhat.

Going the whole trickster route with skill in diplomacy, deception, stealth and what not. In which both classes work for the concept.

So what are your thoughts pros and cons and what not.

And im not changing to something else. Its assassin and then either warlock or paladin. I want thoughts on those options and not other suggestions just so i get that clear.

Quoz
2017-11-10, 04:02 AM
It depends largely on what you want to do. Both give the big assassin advantage of adding smite to a crit, but paladin can do it earlier and harder by adding smite spell on top.

Warlock invocations can add a lot of utility, particularly if you like disguises and misdirection. Many of these, like darkness fighting, may not be party friendly. If you are looking for single target high damage, this is probably your best bet. Most of its features get more mileage from short rests, so take that into consideration for your table. Cantrip attack spells like booming blade are also a big plus.

Paladin would be the tougher choice. Adding Cha to saves is an amazing benefit, and if you know it is one battle a day you can go all out with spells and not lose much on the warlock.

djreynolds
2017-11-10, 04:13 AM
Deep stalker ranger could be cool, free darkvision, advantage, etc

Shadow monk is sweet.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?469125-GUIDE-Dealing-Death-Handbook-of-the-True-Assassin&p=6707781#post6707781

There is a shortcut for this in our notable threads guides and class guides, lots of ideas

Spacehamster
2017-11-10, 04:29 AM
Deep stalker ranger could be cool, free darkvision, advantage, etc

Shadow monk is sweet.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?469125-GUIDE-Dealing-Death-Handbook-of-the-True-Assassin&p=6707781#post6707781

There is a shortcut for this in our notable threads guides and class guides, lots of ideas

He kinda said he wanted an opinion between the two options he presented and nothing else. :p

djreynolds
2017-11-10, 04:42 AM
Right this guide has an assassin warlock and an assassin paladin

But since he has wisdom, shadow monk/assassin/warlock is one of the builds in this guide

The guide is great

X3r4ph
2017-11-10, 04:48 AM
Assassin 11/ Treachery 3/ Stone Sorcerer 6 is an idea. You get Smites, great Sneak Attack damage, spell slots to burn etc. BUT you get the Stone Sorcerer Aegis that basically guarantees Sneak Attack twice per round.

Nyan
2017-11-10, 02:09 PM
Again for all of those suggesting other or aditional classes cept the ones ive mentioned its not what im looking for.

Between 3 rouge and the rest hexblade warlock.

Or 3 rouge the rest paladin of treachery.

Which do you think is better and why. Pros and cons and stuff.

Kuulvheysoon
2017-11-10, 11:42 PM
Again for all of those suggesting other or aditional classes cept the ones ive mentioned its not what im looking for.

Between 3 rouge and the rest hexblade warlock.

Or 3 rouge the rest paladin of treachery.

Which do you think is better and why. Pros and cons and stuff.

If you don't mind, may I ask why you're determined to stay with those classes and those classes only? Is it because they're Charisma-based and you want to stay that way?

djreynolds
2017-11-11, 01:18 AM
Paladin defensively is better.

Aura of protection at 6th, Aura of courage at 10th is huge, improved divine smite at 11th

I like rogue 7, paladin 13 or rogue 8/paladin 12. You want uncanny dodge and evasion

Nyan
2017-11-11, 11:49 AM
If you don't mind, may I ask why you're determined to stay with those classes and those classes only? Is it because they're Charisma-based and you want to stay that way?

Its more of a concept thing rather than a mechanical one.

We are playing in a viking setting and im going the whole Loki themed trickster character. In which both warlock and paladin fits with the whole connection to a god/entity. And going with other classes like monk or sorcerer are not really theme apropriate unless you really get out of your way.

And also cause I dont want to give my Gm who is rather new to the system more of a headache than I already am by multiclassing once.

djreynolds
2017-11-11, 12:13 PM
Its more of a concept thing rather than a mechanical one.

We are playing in a viking setting and im going the whole Loki themed trickster character. In which both warlock and paladin fits with the whole connection to a god/entity. And going with other classes like monk or sorcerer are not really theme apropriate unless you really get out of your way.

And also cause I dont want to give my Gm who is rather new to the system more of a headache than I already am by multiclassing once.

See, there we go.

Now we can help.

Now I would grab warlock. Loki is a cool dude.

Take at least 5 levels for uncanny dodge