PDA

View Full Version : So I’ve enslaved a bone devil...

UnwiseAlistair
2017-11-09, 08:47 PM
My party’s home base was recently attacked by a group of cultists who brought the bone devil with them. Our party is level 8 in an evil campaign. My necromancer put up a magic circle and trapped the fiend inside, and I managed to get a suggestion to stick on it to make it tell me it’s true name. We managed to convince the townspeople we banished it (invisibility instead of banishment and slight of hand) I used it’s name to give it the command “you will give your complete and unwavering loyalty to me.” It’s now being kept in a dungeon beneath the warlock’s room in the castle. I’m hoping for advice on how to use this valuable new asset without the townsfolk finding out we’re consorting with devils. What things can I have it do, because I’m at a loss for how to use it. I’m mostly shocked I managed to pull this off. Thank you!

TL,DR: managed to get a bone devil’s true name, looking for advice on what to have it do.

Honest Tiefling
2017-11-09, 08:49 PM
You're a level 8 necromancer. What's stopping you from just making the townsfolk into skeletons or a cult?

As for the Bone Devil...Remember, it has unwavering loyalty to YOU. Anyone you have a disagreement with or doesn't have your best interest at heart (such as the rest of the party) aren't protected. Just a head's up.

Also, what is your end goal here?

UnwiseAlistair
2017-11-09, 08:55 PM
You're a level 8 necromancer. What's stopping you from just making the townsfolk into skeletons or a cult?

As for the Bone Devil...Remember, it has unwavering loyalty to YOU. Anyone you have a disagreement with or doesn't have your best interest at heart (such as the rest of the party) aren't protected. Just a head's up.

Also, what is your end goal here?

Small town that thinks we’re good aligned, I’m still not to the level where I’m not worried about torches and pitchforks. I’ll do some research into how cults get started, though. And thank you!

UnwiseAlistair
2017-11-09, 08:59 PM
Small town that thinks we’re good aligned, I’m still not to the level where I’m not worried about torches and pitchforks. I’ll do some research into how cults get started, though. And thank you!

And my party’s end goal is eventual world conquest. Me personally, I’m a secret vecna worshipper who seeks to follow in my Undying King’s footsteps and achieve lichdom/ eventual godhood, but short term I’m building up power until I feel potential peasant riots aren’t a threat and I can be more open about my ambitions and gather powerful allies.

Unoriginal
2017-11-09, 09:05 PM
My party’s home base was recently attacked by a group of cultists who brought the bone devil with them. Our party is level 8 in an evil campaign. My necromancer put up a magic circle and trapped the fiend inside, and I managed to get a suggestion to stick on it to make it tell me it’s true name. We managed to convince the townspeople we banished it (invisibility instead of banishment and slight of hand) I used it’s name to give it the command “you will give your complete and unwavering loyalty to me.” It’s now being kept in a dungeon beneath the warlock’s room in the castle. I’m hoping for advice on how to use this valuable new asset without the townsfolk finding out we’re consorting with devils. What things can I have it do, because I’m at a loss for how to use it. I’m mostly shocked I managed to pull this off. Thank you!

TL,DR: managed to get a bone devil’s true name, looking for advice on what to have it do.

Well I guess he's pretty boned.

Obligatory bone jokes aside, I really don't think a suggestion would be enough to make a Devil reveal its true name. Be careful you're not being tricked.

Aside from that, you could re-cast invisibility on the Bone Devil, then have it fly away from the castle at night. Find a cave or an abandoned place far-ish from town, and you can come there to have the Devil accompany you on adventures outside populated area.

You could try to disguise the Devil with custom-made shinny armor pieces and bright clothes to hide any too Infernal part, maybe even paint the whole devil to make it look less like the insect-skeleton sadistic torturer of the damned it is. Some kind of brown-ish paint + some prestidigitation to give it an appearance like an horse's coat could make the devil seem more "natural being" than "literal Hellspawn". In any case, if you manage to conceal its nature, you would have an easier time.

As the Bone Devil is Large and can fly, it's theoretically possible to use one as a mount, so you could say it's an exotic flying mount you acquired on a travel. Problem is that someone is bound to recognize a Devil, with enough exposure.

Now, all those options are pretty humiliating, and dangerous, because they keep the Devil on the Material Plane.

But! If you send the Bone Devil back to the Nine Hells or the other planes, you get an extraplanar agent working for you, and it can be an incredible boon.

You could have the Devil do business in Hell. Or you could send it to Sigil, to find you whatever exotic thing you want in whatever manner you want -and that's only the tip of the iceberg, possibility wise.

Of course, do one wrong move, and the Bone Devil will get back at you for its servitude...

lunaticfringe
2017-11-09, 09:10 PM
Ask about poison collection. +5d6 damage, save to avoid Poisoned ain't bad. You might be able to sell it.

Honest Tiefling
2017-11-09, 09:17 PM
You could try to disguise the Devil with custom-made shinny armor pieces and bright clothes to hide any too Infernal part, maybe even paint the whole devil to make it look less like the insect-skeleton sadistic torturer of the damned it is. Some kind of brown-ish paint + some prestidigitation to give it an appearance like an horse's coat could make the devil seem more "natural being" than "literal Hellspawn". In any case, if you manage to conceal its nature, you would have an easier time.

Also consider disguising it as a golem. Those things never look human enough anyway. People ride those too, so its still a mount.

Typhon
2017-11-09, 10:11 PM
You have the devil, make it an offer it can't refuse. Let it loose to create trouble and consume souls, further implicate the already standing cult. Use the ensuing troubles to increase your regional fame.

The Devil wins an advantageous position to sow evil and destruction, claiming souls for itself. You win by becoming a "renowned" vanquisher of the forces of evil, gaining admiration from the common folk and positive attention from the leaders of the realm.

The greatest evils are created in the name of good intentions after all.

ATHATH
2017-11-09, 11:42 PM
I recommend watching this video, made by the guy that made the Freeman's Mind series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnkqdMS1LkE

He researched how actual cults worked and talked about it/that for most of the video.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-11-09, 11:49 PM
Does the world work under the usual D&D logic that fiends can't be truly killed except on their home plane? Because a practically immortal boogeyman at your beck and call could do wonders for making people believe that you are a mighty, benevolent god, there to protect them from the horrors of hell brought forth by *insert name of person or group standing in your way here*.

Malifice
2017-11-10, 12:22 AM

Not wanting to incur the wrath of the local lord and churches I dare say.

Honest Tiefling
2017-11-10, 12:35 AM
Not wanting to incur the wrath of the local lord and churches I dare say.

Without knowing the setting more, we don't know how powerful the local churches are, or how inclined they are to bribery. Which gives me an idea! Your first task should be to eliminate do-gooders because that secret is going to be revealed in the second act without fail. If you think you can monitor Boney, let him take a few of them back as souvenirs.

I was going to ask if Glasya was still in the habit of collecting paladins, but maybe you should investigate your devil friend. Find out who he works for, because getting rid of him for a promotion might keep him from openly defying you.

And lord smord. Half of nobility is evil, and the other half is spilt between incompetence, being captured or being up to their neck in their harems. However, there might be some evil advisers or other people you should really think of removing or hiring, depending on your party. If you can somehow implicate local power groups in a coup you have heroically uncovered, that'll keep people fighting those who aren't you.

JackPhoenix
2017-11-10, 01:18 AM
I recommend watching this video, made by the guy that made the Freeman's Mind series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnkqdMS1LkE

He researched how actual cults worked and talked about it/that for most of the video.

Yes. Researched. That's it. He most assuredly doesn't lead a cult of his own. That idea is just riddiculous.

But great stuff!

JellyPooga
2017-11-10, 02:44 AM
I dunno...chilling in your crib with your new "roomie", drinking a few brewskies, casting up some choice viewing in the village with Clairvoyance and swapping stories of deeds done sounds pretty awesome to me. Just being able to claim you have him in your basement is definitely a rung up on the "Evil-o-meter". Consider it an achievement gained and brag to other Evil Overlords about it :smallcool:

More seriously, it's a friggin' Bone Devil; pick that mutha's brain. Dude's got millenia of experience to draw upon, so it's got a lot to teach. Talk to your GM about being able to research some more esoteric spells or rituals, perhaps. See if it knows the location of any powerful artefacts. Ask it about his superiors in the fiendish heirarchy. Ask it if it knows any good jokes. Learn from it.

If knowledge is not forthcoming, give it some toys (I won't elaborate on what a Bone Devil considers a "toy"...) to placate it; you might know its True Name (though I wouldn't count on that being the case; Devils lie) but if you can persuade it you're on the right (i.e. his) side, you may get more. Make it an ally instead of a slave.

Cespenar
2017-11-10, 04:49 AM
Obligatory bone jokes aside, I really don't think a suggestion would be enough to make a Devil reveal its true name. Be careful you're not being tricked.

This is the only thing I can think of as well.

damascoplay
2017-11-10, 04:02 PM
Well I guess he's pretty boned.

*Insert Seinfield theme here*

Sigreid
2017-11-10, 04:08 PM
Periodic devil attacks that you "foil" in order to build fame, reputation and starry eyed fools to worship you.