PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed TO - World War Minionmancy

unseenmage
2017-11-10, 01:05 AM
World War with Minionmancy. Please discuss.
RAW and cheese welcome in equal measure.

Assume that Faerun is the stage.

And that Eberron and Golarion can be accessed via Sigil (random), Deep Shadow (sketchy), and Spelljamming (reliable but loooong distance).

Assuming Minionmancy from War Spells, Resetting Magic Traps, Energy Transformation Fields, Runic Guardians, Spellscribed Undead, etc are allowed but nerfed... Just how nerfed should they be?

Should non-temporary minionmancy be capped at 1xweek? Per year? Considering growing troops the natural way takes like what teens of years at the minimum how do we allow minionmancy armies without just steamrolling less mystically adept populations?

Or do we even care? Are there enough counters to minionmancy spam traps that this isn't an issue?

Say we're conquering Faerun (blitzkrieg style so only the Gods could see it coming) do we not even stand a chance because of all the high level NPCs?

Are there enough Rods of Construct Control to put us in our place? Enough clerics with Rebuke Undead? Enough mages with Dominate? Enough druids that the sheer number of Awakened Trees stalls our advance before it starts?

ATHATH
2017-11-10, 01:13 AM
Step 1: Planeshift into Faerun.
Step 2: Cast Rockburst on the planet/ground/whatever.
Step 3: Take some minor damage as the world (or at least the connected stone parts of it) literally explodes.
Step 4: Rule over and stabilize whatever fragments remain.

unseenmage
2017-11-10, 01:18 AM
Step 1: Planeshift into Faerun.
Step 2: Cast Rockburst on the planet/ground/whatever.
Step 3: Take some minor damage as the world (or at least the connected stone parts of it) literally explodes.
Step 4: Rule over and stabilize whatever fragments remain.
That's... decidedly not minionmancy.

Besides, the planet is likely an attended mundane object due to all the people on it. :smallbiggrin:

ATHATH
2017-11-10, 01:22 AM
That's... decidedly not minionmancy.

Besides, the planet is likely an attended mundane object due to all the people on it. :smallbiggrin:
Well, it'd be a good first-strike. Minions could help mop up whatever resistance remains.

Even if it gets a save, the planet should roll a "1" on its Fort save eventually. Plus, who in Faerun can really claim to own the world?

unseenmage
2017-11-10, 06:37 PM
For my part I am a fan of magic resetting traps or Spell Clocks of Awaken Sand alongside magic resetting traps of True Creation making Shapesand.

Another set of traps makes Minor Servitors of humanoid Obdurium statues.
The statues also have tails, wings, fangs, horns, etc so they can use Savage Species body part feats.
Before the animating spell is cast each statue also has all 3 or 4 variations of the Hardening spell cast on it.
The statues are assembled like puzzles with each limb being created by a different True Creation trap.
IIRC they were adhered together with some alchemical bonding agent conjured by yet another True Creation trap.

Another set of True Creation traps makes statues of branching forearms covered in left hands.
Some Fabricate traps then sever the left hands into a pile then they're animated as Crawling Claws via Create Crawling Claw magic resetting traps.

A final set of traps makes Obdurium statue Animated Objects and Permanencies them.

When I used the above Wish, Gate, Miracle, and Genesis were banned.
Wound up making a LOT of Constructs. Too many.

I wondered about implementing a similar idea again but am curious how far to dial back the numbers.

RoboEmperor
2017-11-10, 06:58 PM
Should be capped to one round a level.

Let me explain.

1. Create the strongest construct in existence. For this example... max hd Iron Golem.
2. Create a Runic Guardian.
3. Put a Simulacrum of that max hd Iron Golem into it.
4. Create a 2nd Runic Guardian.
5. Put a Simulacrum of of the Runic Guardian into it.

So lets say 1 week...
Day1: You have 1 simulacrum of a Runic Guardian and 1 simulacrum of a Iron Golem.
Day2: You have 2 simulacrums of a Runic Guardian and 3 simulacrums of a Iron Golem.
Day3: You have 3 simulacrums of a Runic Guardian and 6 simulacrums of a Iron Golem.
Day4: You have 4 simulacrums of a Runic Guardian and 10 simulacrums of a Iron Golem.
Day5: You have 5 simulacrums of a Runic Guardian and 15 simulacrums of a Iron Golem.
Day6: You have 6 simulacrums of a Runic Guardian and 21 simulacrums of a Iron Golem.
Day7: You have 7 simulacrums of a Runic Guardian and 28 simulacrums of a Iron Golem.

Ultimately you will have 7*7 = 49 Iron Golems.

Lets add a 3rd Runic Guardian
Day1: You have 1 simulacrum of a RunicGuardian2, 1 simulacrum of RunicGuardian1, and 1 simulacrum of a Iron Golem.
Day2: You have 2 simulacrums of a RunicGuardian2, 3 simulacrums of RunicGuardian1, and 4 simulacrums of a Iron Golem.
Day3: You have 3 simulacrums of a RunicGuardian2, 6 simulacrums of RunicGuardian1, and 10 simulacrums of a Iron Golem.
Day4: You have 4 simulacrums of a RunicGuardian2, 10 simulacrums of RunicGuardian1, and 20 simulacrums of a Iron Golem.
Day5: You have 5 simulacrums of a RunicGuardian2, 15 simulacrums of RunicGuardian1, and 35 simulacrums of a Iron Golem.
Day6: You have 6 simulacrums of a RunicGuardian2, 21 simulacrums of RunicGuardian1, and 56 simulacrums of a Iron Golem.
Day7: You have 7 simulacrums of a RunicGuardian2, 28 simulacrums of RunicGuardian1, and 84 simulacrums of a Iron Golem.

Ultimately you will have 7*7*7 = 343 Iron Golems

Lets add a 4th Runic Guardian.
Ultimately you will have 7*7*7*7 = 2401 Iron Golems.

Lets add a 5th Runic Guardian
7*7*7*7*7 = 16,807 Iron Golems.

Lets add a 6th Runic Guardian
7^6 = 117,649 iron golems.

Goaty14
2017-11-11, 01:14 AM
I, myself, am in favor of 6th level Half-Elf Bards for taking over the multiverse, you? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9714575&postcount=5)

unseenmage
2017-11-11, 01:26 AM
I, myself, am in favor of 6th level Half-Elf Bards for taking over the multiverse, you? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9714575&postcount=5)
Hm, don't think it even incorporates the Fanatic diplomacy disposition presented in the Epic Level Handbook and expressly accessible to nonEpic characters whose Diplomacy rolls are justthatgood.

Fanatics will expressly die for you AND its considered mind-affecting.

Personally I use it on Constructs after turning them into humanoids via Greater Humanoid Essence. Really opens up a Diplomancer's options.

There's also the option to convert folks to one's religion via 2 Diplomacy checks. One to get them to your sermon and another to convert them during sermon.

Diplomancy is hardcore minionmancy, that's for sure.