PDA

View Full Version : Is Shadow Weave Magic detectable?

noce
2017-11-10, 08:59 AM
A fellow Beguiler is wondering about taking the Shadow Weave Magic feat.

The point is, a member of our party is a LG Shooting Star Ranger Sword of the Arcane Order, with Nemesis (Arcanists), basically a guardian of the Weave and a stalker of Shadow Weave users.

The question is, will the Ranger ever know if the Beguiler taps from either the Weave or the Shadow Weave?
Is it evident?
Can it be discerned by means of divination magic, magic items, class features or anything else?

The only thing that comes to mind is if the Beguiler enters zones of dead magic or wild magic, where only Shadow Weave magic works, and is so dumb to cast spells.

Deophaun
2017-11-10, 09:25 AM
I don't think it's a rule, but it makes sense to me that if using the Shadow Weave makes it more difficult to identify or understand your magic, someone who overcomes the penalty and identifies it anyway will know its provenance as the Shadow Weave. So, if you took Insidious Magic and the Shooting Star Ranger succeeded on the level check to detect your spell with detect magic, he would know.

If you have a player whose character is based around hunting down Shadow Weave users, it's safest to assume that if there isn't a clear method in the rules, the DM will create one.

Now, he can also get suspicious by wondering why you won't cast dancing lights, even if he offers you a scroll.

Darth Ultron
2017-11-10, 09:41 AM
Yes, it is detectable as it is still ''magic''.

Detect magic still detects shadow weave magic.

Of course even if it did not ''detect'', as soon as you saw someone do ''undeletable magic'' you'd know it was Shadow Magic.

noce
2017-11-10, 09:53 AM
if you took Insidious Magic and the Shooting Star Ranger succeeded on the level check to detect your spell with detect magic, he would know.

And if you don't take Insidious Magic?

Yes, it is detectable as it is still ''magic''.

I know this, but is it clearly apparent that a spell cast using Shadow Weave is different from a spell cast using the Weave?

Avigor
2017-11-10, 01:00 PM
The Shadow Weave Hunter guy should, at least eventually, be picking up the Detect Shadow Weave User feat from Champions of Valor. Once he has that, the gig is up.

noce
2017-11-10, 01:32 PM
The Shadow Weave Hunter guy should, at least eventually, be picking up the Detect Shadow Weave User feat from Champions of Valor. Once he has that, the gig is up.

Many, many thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for.
I'd assume that, without this specific feat, he cannot determine whether the Beguiler uses the Weave or the Shadow Weave.

Avigor
2017-11-10, 04:50 PM
Many, many thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for.
I'd assume that, without this specific feat, he cannot determine whether the Beguiler uses the Weave or the Shadow Weave.

Aside from testing for things like "can he cast dancing lights" (kinda hard to explain an inability to do this since Beguilers cast spontaneously so you can't just pull a "I didn't prepare it today" bluff) or "am I having unusual difficulties identifying his spells" (possibly cloakable by taking Spell Thematics as well as Shadow Magic) no.

noce
2017-11-10, 05:22 PM
Aside from testing for things like "can he cast dancing lights" (kinda hard to explain an inability to do this since Beguilers cast spontaneously so you can't just pull a "I didn't prepare it today" bluff) or "am I having unusual difficulties identifying his spells" (possibly cloakable by taking Spell Thematics as well as Shadow Magic) no.

Yeah we did the dancing lights joke out of character.
In character, we're not supposed to label people with class names, so it's not an option to say that "a subset of world population knows exactly the same spells because this is how the beguiler class works".