PDA

View Full Version : DM Help A player wanting to play a Phoenix sorcerer?

Throne12
2017-11-10, 10:08 AM
So I have a player switching from a moon druid to a Phoenix sorcerer. I don't mind her playing it but I'm just wondering were it stands with other sorcerer? If it's op or u.p.

Matticusrex
2017-11-10, 10:12 AM
So I have a player switching from a moon druid to a Phoenix sorcerer. I don't mind her playing it but I'm just wondering were it stands with other sorcerer? If it's op or u.p.

I have not seen the xanthers version but the Ua phoenix sorcerer is on the weaker side of the sorcerer archetypes as it has a very limited usage. You dont need to worry about any sorcerer archetypes being too strong, be glad he isn't playing a wizard.

Throne12
2017-11-10, 10:14 AM
I felt it was under powered. And I won't be In the new book. So how would you bump it up a bit.

Millstone85
2017-11-10, 10:21 AM
I have not seen the xanthers versionAnd you will never see it. The phoenix sorcerer isn't in Xanathar's.

ImproperJustice
2017-11-10, 08:27 PM
I have actually played one from 1-5th level.

The best way to bump it would be to make “Mantle of the Phoenix” work like a Barbarian’s rage where you get so many uses per long rest.

Or

Allow it to recover on short rest.

As far as stacking up to others?
I never felt underpowered. Twinned Ice Kinives and Chromatic Orbs brought down plenty of bad guys. Twinned buffs were fun to cast on the martials like twinned flight.

“Flaming On” in big boss fights and spamming scorching ray was fun. It was also fun to do whenever someone grabbed me. It was just limited to the once per long rest that was kinda meh.

The later features all look pretty cool though.

Setting things on fire by touch came up frequently.
My only reason for stopping with him was that the party composition changed quite a bit and the role he needed to fill shifted.

Chunkosaurus
2017-11-10, 08:31 PM
Make the mantle charisma uses per long rest.

morroiel
2017-11-11, 03:08 AM
Make the mantle charisma uses per long rest.

While this is an okay change, I actually prefer the sorcerer point cost to activate method of balancing it: for 3 sorcerer points you can reactivate your mantle after using it.

This means you get 1 free charge and then it costs 3 sorcerer points to activate it afterwards. This makes the ability scale better with levels than the charisma uses per long rest method.

I consider the phoenix sorcerer to be significantly weaker as written than any of the sorc subclasses.

jaappleton
2017-11-11, 10:36 AM
My friend and fellow GitP user DracoKnight has played a Phoenix, and has used several different homebrew methods to activate Mantle more than once per long rest.

I'll tell him to pop in here when he can to give his thoughts.

DracoKnight
2017-11-11, 10:53 AM
By far the best method I’ve used for buffing the Phoenix Sorc is just having the Mantle of Flame cost 3 sorcery points. It allows you to do your thing more than once a day, but it forces you to make an interesting choice: since spending these now means you are down a 2nd-level Spell later. It’s up to you to decide its worth.

Throne12
2017-11-11, 11:30 AM
By far the best method I’ve used for buffing the Phoenix Sorc is just having the Mantle of Flame cost 3 sorcery points. It allows you to do your thing more than once a day, but it forces you to make an interesting choice: since spending these now means you are down a 2nd-level Spell later. It’s up to you to decide its worth.

I was thinking of using the spell point rule for the sorcerer. What do you think if she get to do it once for free. But after that she spends the sorcery points. Now that brings up another question should I mix spell points with the sorcerer points?

DracoKnight
2017-11-11, 11:42 AM
I was thinking of using the spell point rule for the sorcerer. What do you think if she get to do it once for free. But after that she spends the sorcery points. Now that brings up another question should I mix spell points with the sorcerer points?

Oh, yeah she should still definitely get one use for free, sorry I should've specified that.

And the answer to that question is always YES. Mixing Spell Points and Sorcery Points brings the Sorcerer up to the Wizard's level in terms of power. It doesn't make them OVER powered because they still have to deal with limited spells known.