PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Rules for Animal Armor

Chester
2017-11-10, 10:58 AM
Hello all.

In 3.5, are there instructions or rules about creating armor for animals? For example, armor for a bear?

I don't need the instructions posted here, but would anyone be willing to direct me to the proper source material?

EDIT: I know barding exists, but the armor is not for a mount.

lord_khaine
2017-11-10, 11:27 AM
Its pretty simple, you just need to find the rules for making armor fit either a huge creature. Or i Guess a nonhumanoid one. The should be somewhere under armor.

InvisibleBison
2017-11-10, 11:28 AM
The information you need is available here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorForUnusualCreatures).

Bronk
2017-11-10, 12:16 PM
The next step is to make sure the animal is able to use the armor effectively. You might want to look into training it up as a warbeast so it could gain proficiency.

Thurbane
2017-11-10, 04:42 PM
Just remember that for tiny or smaller creatures, you divide the armor bonus by 2.

http://geekologie.com/2014/01/09/cat-battle-armor-2.jpg

Inevitability
2017-11-11, 09:45 AM
I am very disappointed this thread isn't about strapping a bunch of tortoises to you to deflect blows.

Crake
2017-11-11, 10:14 AM
Hello all.

In 3.5, are there instructions or rules about creating armor for animals? For example, armor for a bear?

I don't need the instructions posted here, but would anyone be willing to direct me to the proper source material?

Barding IS animal armor. it's exactly the rules you're looking for.

KillianHawkeye
2017-11-11, 10:19 AM

Barding is really just a fancy word for armor for non-humanoids. The cost and weight multipliers listed for barding are exactly the same as the ones from the "Armor for Unusual Creatures" table.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-11-11, 11:03 AM
I am very disappointed this thread isn't about strapping a bunch of tortoises to you to deflect blows.
We can make the thread about tortoises.

Can tortoises make the AC 10 attack roll to use Aid Another? They need to be a few size categories smaller than the wearer in order to occupy the same space, so assuming a medium wearer, they get a nice bonus from being small, but they'll lack STR/DEX and base attack. Maybe you can use greater magic fang on them, similar to greater magic vestment on regular armour. It should be possible to average +20 AC by strapping a dozen turtles to your body.

Bronk
2017-11-11, 11:53 AM
We can make the thread about tortoises.

Can tortoises make the AC 10 attack roll to use Aid Another? They need to be a few size categories smaller than the wearer in order to occupy the same space, so assuming a medium wearer, they get a nice bonus from being small, but they'll lack STR/DEX and base attack. Maybe you can use greater magic fang on them, similar to greater magic vestment on regular armour. It should be possible to average +20 AC by strapping a dozen turtles to your body.

Heh, you could cover yourself with tortoises, then strap yourself to the head of a dire tortoise so it can wield you in the surprise round!