PDA

View Full Version : DM Help solo quest for character lost in dungeon

Mike Miller
2017-11-10, 11:28 AM
Long story, a character accidentally teleported himself to a distant section of an enormous dungeon by blindly activating an artifact that the party was given hints not to do. Against the odds (I actually didn't think he would live), the character (rogue 5/ swordsage 4) escaped a horde of demons and found refuge with a hidden pair of archons. The rest of the party found out from a different celestial that said character probably is dead, but gave them a rough map to follow through the dungeon to find him (as this celestial knew where the artifact would teleport people). While the party decided to go on a rescue mission for their beloved comrade, I want this character to do something instead of waiting around, hoping he is saved. The premise of the dungeon is basically anything goes hordes of enemies against other hordes of enemy seeking out territory for inexplicable reasons. People are just drawn to the power of the place.

Ideas of mine so far: Have the rogue try to sneak past the demon horde to recover some item of power.
or
Have the rogue do some reconnaissance for the pair of archons to try and find a way out without fighting (the demon horde is massive)

I just want the rogue to have something to show for his time apart from the party. The player really likes the character, the group really likes the character, and the character isn't the kind to sit around and wait.

Any ideas would be appreciated. It doesn't have to be long, because I think the party will find him either next session or the one after and they don't have a chance for down time as it is. As a side note, the player did roll a new character so he could still participate in the game before the rogue is rescued.

Lastly, it doesn't have to be demons. I can add anything to this place. I already have giants, sea hags, dragons, basilisks, and fire salamanders nearby. There are some elves, too.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-10, 11:50 AM
Are there any major items of power that have been lost to time, such as the black cauldron or Aladdin's lamp and/or ring? Doesn't even have to be directly useful to the characters; it could be something they need further questing to purify from its currently becursed state (such as the cauldron, which used to be the cauldron of plenty, for instance), or an item that needs destroyed (such as the One Ring), or an item that ought to be delivered to someone else, such as a long lost ancient portable altar of an old god.

It could also be something like the sword in the stone (Caliburn) that happens to be the thing releasing so much power. Once it's removed, however, it breaks. It's still powerful (and can be repaired gradually), but it loses enough that it won't be broken for whatever character wields it. Perhaps a weapon of legacy without all the stupid downsides indicated in the book?

the_david
2017-11-10, 12:07 PM
You could let two of the other players play the archons so you've got a small party. The Archons could provide him with some kind of information about the dungeon, the demons or a MacGuffin they're looking for. I don't know which book the victory points system is in, but you could use that system to simulate guerilla tactics. You could even have the other party come in on the other side to do the same thing. He could ally himself with other groups, and use any information he has as currency.

Maybe you should just let him figure it out for himself though.

Edit: Maybe you could give him some kind of protective item that is really handy under the right circumstances. (Against Demons.)

Bronk
2017-11-10, 12:13 PM
Long story, a character accidentally teleported himself to a distant section of an enormous dungeon by blindly activating an artifact that the party was given hints not to do.

found refuge with a hidden pair of archons.

The rest of the party found out from a different celestial that said character probably is dead

as this celestial knew where the artifact would teleport people

The premise of the dungeon is basically anything goes hordes of enemies against other hordes of enemy seeking out territory for inexplicable reasons. People are just drawn to the power of the place.

Any ideas would be appreciated. It doesn't have to be long, because I think the party will find him either next session or the one after and they don't have a chance for down time as it is.

There are some elves, too.

Well, normally I would want to tie the artifact into this somehow, but it sounds like you've already got plans for that.

How about tying in the elves? The archons are the ones who want to get out and can't, but others come to the dungeon under their own power. The elves could have done that too, and could know a way out.

The PC could sneak around, avoid some traps, meet the elves, make friends with them, and discover the way out. Maybe the elves are already ready to leave, maybe they came here looking to save people and the archons and PC fit the bill, or maybe they're on a mission so only one can go show them the way out. There's a survivable fight with a demon on the way out, and there's some loot, or a clue to the rest of your campaign. Also, the elf can be a good NPC contact, cohort, SO, etc.

The motivations of the elves could be different too. For example, the elves could have been pulled in against their will, but although they've found a way out, most want to stay to fight the good fight (just in general, or a specific mission as a plot hook for when the other PCs show up). However, there's one noncombatant that they want to deliver safely home, either because they're too low level, or accidentally took levels in an NPC class like 'healer'.

Westhart
2017-11-10, 12:23 PM
Maybe he has to find a way to collapse that section of the cavern on top of the horde, thus eliminating a large chunk of them and letting the celestials clean up what's left with the parties help?

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-10, 12:26 PM
Maybe he has to find a way to collapse that section of the cavern on top of the horde, thus eliminating a large chunk of them and letting the celestials clean up what's left with the parties help?Killing a few thousand demons solo? That's a LOT of XP, there.

Westhart
2017-11-10, 12:29 PM
Killing a few thousand demons solo? That's a LOT of XP, there.

Good point...
For killing them, only thing I could see a problem is not getting them to TP... have someone lay down a dimensional lock the collapse it, splits XP two ways but definitely still a lot... or they may have enough health to survive, then you get the archons in and lose more XP... Although if you don't want him to kill 'em all/do major damage I would definitely not listen to me. :smallbiggrin:

Mike Miller
2017-11-10, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all the ideas!