PDA

View Full Version : Tortle question

Spacehamster
2017-11-10, 02:03 PM
Is the tortle on d&d wiki the official version or is it just some homebrew?

Daphne
2017-11-10, 02:07 PM
Do you mean this one? (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Tortle_(5e_Race)) It's homebrew

Spacehamster
2017-11-10, 02:16 PM
Do you mean this one? (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Tortle_(5e_Race)) It's homebrew

Aye thats the one, thought it seemed way to strong, how good is the official one and what stats do they get? Just thinking if it would be worth to buy the pdf or not.

nickl_2000
2017-11-10, 02:18 PM
Aye thats the one, thought it seemed way to strong, how good is the official one and what stats do they get? Just thinking if it would be worth to buy the pdf or not.

You can see the whole tortle racial stuff in the sample

Daphne
2017-11-10, 02:20 PM
how good is the official one and what stats do they get?

I like it a lot, it's a very versatile race:

+2 Strength, +1 Wisom
Hold breath for up to 1 hour
17 natural AC (Dexterity modifier doesn't affect this number)
Proficiency in the Survival skill

Just thinking if it would be worth to buy the pdf or not.
It comes with an adventure, I think it's worthy it.

Spacehamster
2017-11-10, 04:08 PM
I like it a lot, it's a very versatile race:

+2 Strength, +1 Wisom
Hold breath for up to 1 hour
17 natural AC (Dexterity modifier doesn't affect this number)
Proficiency in the Survival skill

It comes with an adventure, I think it's worthy it.

So would a Tortle monk have 17 + WIS as his armor since they ignore DEX to AC?

Daphne
2017-11-10, 04:10 PM
So would a Tortle monk have 17 + WIS as his armor since they ignore DEX to AC?
No, it's a different AC calculation, you either pick 17 or 10+DEX+WIS as your AC.

Tortles make excellent strength monks however.

Spacehamster
2017-11-10, 04:15 PM
No, it's a different AC calculation, you either pick 17 or 10+DEX+WIS as your AC.

Tortles make excellent strength monks however.

So basically go with 17 AC and switch to monk calculation once DEX + WIS gets better got it. :)

Daphne
2017-11-10, 04:26 PM
So basically go with 17 AC and switch to monk calculation once DEX + WIS gets better got it. :)

Or increase strength instead of dexterity, as you already get a +2. But yes that's it, a great boost to a monk AC at low level.

Spacehamster
2017-11-10, 04:29 PM
Or increase strength instead of dexterity, as you already get a +2. But yes that's it, a great boost to a monk AC at low level.

Could do that too ofc but then stuck with 3 AC lower than a normal monk in the end. :)
Now to plan out my Tortle kensai with longsword re-fluffed as a katana and pretend
I am Leonardo lol

Naanomi
2017-11-10, 04:43 PM
They also get a natural claw attack and can boost that AC by pulling into their shell

HolyDraconus
2017-11-10, 08:21 PM
They also get a natural claw attack and can boost that AC by pulling into their shell

...which can get you killed. You are prone and have to blow an action to do that, and, as a player in ToA recently learned, there are enemies that get bonuses to prone targets... Like 2 extra attacks. Tortle used withdraw. Snake cat used they cutter and bonus smog. Critical. Dead tortle.

Spacehamster
2017-11-11, 01:21 AM
...which can get you killed. You are prone and have to blow an action to do that, and, as a player in ToA recently learned, there are enemies that get bonuses to prone targets... Like 2 extra attacks. Tortle used withdraw. Snake cat used they cutter and bonus smog. Critical. Dead tortle.

Wow a defensive cooldown that inflicts negative status effects. :/

Joe dirt
2017-11-11, 01:57 PM
To min/max their a.c. would anything tgat boost natural a.c. increase their a.c.? If so what would that look like?

Spacehamster
2017-11-11, 02:37 PM
To min/max their a.c. would anything tgat boost natural a.c. increase their a.c.? If so what would that look like?

Only thing that I can think of is mariner style, shield spell, war wizard reaction thingy for + 2 AC.

Lonely Tylenol
2017-11-11, 03:38 PM

I would guess, but I imagine the safest bet is to just look to things that boost AC unconditionally as long as you meet the qualifier. Bracers of Defense (you aren’t *wearing* armor), or a shield for shield-proficient classes; Bladesinger’s Int bonus to AC, for games that allow non-Elf Bladesingers; and so on.

rlc
2017-11-11, 04:08 PM
Tortle monks/samurai should have eye masks.