PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with Arcane trickster spells

Shadurak
2017-11-10, 03:11 PM
Hello, playground.
Basically I was invited to a game this weekend. We're doing Hidden shrine of Tmoachan from Tales of the Yawning Portal and I want to play a Rogue. AT appeals the most to me as an archetype. We're starting lvl 5, starting equipment. I have the basics figured out - High Elf; max Dex, Int and Con secondary, dump Str; I'm set on Skulker as my feat. My cantrips are Mage Hand, Ray of Frost, Minor Illusion and True Strike.
I need some recomendations for my lvl 1 spells. Color spray and Sleep seem nice, no idea what any spell to pick. Also - how do I go about a ranged playstyle in combat?
Thanks.

Warwick
2017-11-10, 03:30 PM
Color spray and Sleep seem nice, no idea what any spell to pick.

Silent Image if you're creative and/or your GM doesn't hate illusions (and even if they do, you can use it to make cover). Sleep is decent at low levels but will become obsolete. Tasha's Hideous Laughter is a passable single-target CC.

Regarding Ray of Frost, bear in mind that spells that use attack roles do not qualify for sneak attack (unless your GM is house ruling it). Just noting it because I've seen people get confused about this.

Also - how do I go about a ranged playstyle in combat?

Look for cover and Cunning Action: Hide -> Ranged attack. Every turn.