PDA

View Full Version : I got it! (XGtE)

samcifer
2017-11-10, 03:53 PM
Managed to take advantage of a longer than normal lunch at work to go pick up a copy. I'll answer questions later as I'm still at work, but the spell section is rather nice. New spells are interesting and some of the EE spells are given to new classes (such as Absorb Elements is now available to sorcerers).

Unoriginal
2017-11-10, 03:59 PM
Managed to take advantage of a longer than normal lunch at work to go pick up a copy. I'll answer questions later as I'm still at work, but the spell section is rather nice. New spells are interesting and some of the EE spells are given to new classes (such as Absorb Elements is now available to sorcerers).

Glad for you!

Are the artworks good? They seemed good in the different videos I've seen, but, you know, video quality...

samcifer
2017-11-10, 04:01 PM
Glad for you!

Are the artworks good? They seemed good in the different videos I've seen, but, you know, video quality...

Didn't get a lot of time to go through it in-depth, so I only read up on the subclasses I'm currently using as well as the new spells I can use. I'll go through it more thoroughly later after work.

JMS
2017-11-10, 05:02 PM
How did you get it? I thought it came out on the 21st

Hyde
2017-11-10, 05:11 PM

WotC has made a habit of releasing to physical stores ahead of the online release date.

Cglied
2017-11-10, 05:28 PM

It was released to game stores today. Picked mine up at my FLGS this afternoon.

Naanomi
2017-11-10, 05:32 PM
Got mine too (but my kids havn’t given me a turn with it yet...)

Scathain
2017-11-10, 11:47 PM
Glad for you!

My favorite art of the book is the Danse Macabre spell depiction. Also, my favorite spell from Xanathar’s is the same lol

furby076
2017-11-10, 11:50 PM
I thought when they released to stores first, it was with an embargo until a certain date? For example, amazon has the books in their warehouse, but wont ship until a day or 2 before launch. It will arrive at your house on launch

lunaticfringe
2017-11-11, 12:09 AM
I have to make a Blades Bard now.

RickAllison
2017-11-11, 12:46 AM
I an super excited for my copy. There is an entire section where you can roll to fill in your backstory, with things ranging from what combination of races spawned your half-orc and why mom isn't in the picture, all the way to an embarrassing incident where you spent 1d4 weeks as a toad.

Scathain
2017-11-11, 12:53 AM
I an super excited for my copy. There is an entire section where you can roll to fill in your backstory, with things ranging from what combination of races spawned your half-orc and why mom isn't in the picture, all the way to an embarrassing incident where you spent 1d4 weeks as a toad.

I loved that section too! Now if only I can convince my players to actually use it...

Mjolnirbear
2017-11-11, 12:56 AM
It almost doubles a warlock's useful spell choices. I was planning my very first warlock today. The phb level 4 and 5 spell selection was almost worthy of tears until I noticed XGtE had a new spells section.

DracoKnight
2017-11-11, 01:06 AM
It almost doubles a warlock's useful spell choices. I was planning my very first warlock today. The phb level 4 and 5 spell selection was almost worthy of tears until I noticed XGtE had a new spells section.

I love Warlocks, and I’ve played them since I bought the PHB, however yeah... their 4th and 5th level spells sucked. This book fixed that :smallbiggrin:

samcifer
2017-11-11, 11:25 AM
I thought when they released to stores first, it was with an embargo until a certain date? For example, amazon has the books in their warehouse, but wont ship until a day or 2 before launch. It will arrive at your house on launch

'Hobby' stores like gaming stores got early access on the 10th, and that's how I was able to get my copy so soon.

DracoKnight
2017-11-11, 11:26 AM

If you preordered it on DnD Beyond (like I did) it came out yesterday.

lunaticfringe
2017-11-11, 06:02 PM
Billowing Cloak of Billowing. I love it.

Scathain
2017-11-11, 07:25 PM
Billowing Cloak of Billowing. I love it.

I LOVE the “common” magic items they added. So often I’ve wanted to reward my players with something other than gold or exp, but not drown them in OP magic items I would regret later. Until XGtE, I used the Weak Magic Item generator, but idk, having an official source is nice

lunaticfringe
2017-11-11, 07:43 PM
I LOVE the “common” magic items they added. So often I’ve wanted to reward my players with something other than gold or exp, but not drown them in OP magic items I would regret later. Until XGtE, I used the Weak Magic Item generator, but idk, having an official source is nice

Yup. I'm still leisurely looking things over but that's hands down one of my favorite sections so far.