PDA

View Full Version : Hasted Spellsword

Afgncaap5
2017-11-10, 04:05 PM
I've got a player talking to me about haste, saying that he heard of a way for Spellswords to use haste to be super powerful. That did sound familiar, but I asked if he meant Swiftblades since I've heard they can be pretty strong, even though I've never looked into playing one myself. He said he thought it was Spellsword, so I'm trying to look it up but so far coming up blank, except for Swiftblade builds that happen to dip into Spellsword. Am I just not finding the thing he was told about, or are Swiftblades the actual culprit?

ExLibrisMortis
2017-11-10, 04:17 PM
The tagline of the Swiftblade is "haste personified (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)". Spellsword has nothing to do with haste.

Afgncaap5
2017-11-10, 04:21 PM
The tagline of the Swiftblade is "haste personified (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)". Spellsword has nothing to do with haste.

Indeed, I just didn't want to assume that there wasn't some obscure trick of optimization between the two that I wasn't familiar with.

tyckspoon
2017-11-10, 04:27 PM
Indeed, I just didn't want to assume that there wasn't some obscure trick of optimization between the two that I wasn't familiar with.

Spellsword is a pretty common component of Swiftblade builds, but that's because Spellsword's entry requirements and benefits make it a good steppingstone to qualifying for later classes like Abjurant Champion and Swiftblade. Spellsword itself, as mentioned, has no more special relationship to Haste than any other class that likes hitting things.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-11-10, 06:41 PM
Spellsword is a pretty common component of Swiftblade builds, but that's because Spellsword's entry requirements and benefits make it a good steppingstone to qualifying for later classes like Abjurant Champion and Swiftblade. Spellsword itself, as mentioned, has no more special relationship to Haste than any other class that likes hitting things.
Spellsword is great for entering Abjurant Champion--it's sometimes called AC level 0--but has no use for Swiftblades; the Swiftblade and Spellsword requirements don't match up well enough. Swiftblade wants much more casting, thus spellcaster levels (typically wizard 6), whereas Spellsword wants much more base attack, thus melee levels (typically paladin 2/sorcerer 4).