PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Fighter

Aerlock
2007-08-18, 01:37 AM
I'm tossing around a build in my mind for a Human STR based thrower using spears and javelins and I need some assistance in optimizing it without cheesing it up too much, Form over Function as it were.

Brutal Throw and Power Throw are pretty much my only two restrictions when it comes to feats, and of course Power Attack since its a pre-req. This is a build for a 2 man session with the possibility of adding a DMNPC later on.

We're starting out at 1st level so there's no immediate need for a full build but I'd like some suggestions on PRC's and other feats that might help. Right now I'm looking at taking the full 5 levels in Master Thrower but I haven't played many ranged combatants other than casters so I need a little help on its viability.

I've got access to just about every book. I'm wanting to lean away from the ToB just because I'm not too familiar with it and the DM is still ambivalent towards it. Other than that and the previously mentioned feats and race the field is open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Aerlock

kpenguin
2007-08-18, 01:39 AM
Take Precise Shot. Trust me, that -4 penalty hurts, especially early on.

Zeful
2007-08-18, 02:35 AM
And get far shot and point blank shot. You get a +1 with in thirty feet and twice the range incriments.

Iku Rex
2007-08-18, 03:21 AM
Human Barbarian1/Fighter4/Master Thrower 5/Fighter 2 (lv 12)

You need fighter levels to get enough feats, and barbarian works well for a Str based thrower.

Feats: Power Attack (H), Brutal Throw (CAdv) (1), Power Throw (CAdv) (F1), Point Blank Shot (F2), Precise Shot (3), Weapon Focus (Javelin) (F4), Quick Draw (MT1), Rapid Shot (6), Weapon Specialization (Javelin) (9), Improved Critical (Javelin) (MT5), Ranged Weapon Mastery (PHBII) (12), Far Shot (F6)

Two-weapon fighting is also an option, but in this case I think you're better off hiding behind a tower shield while throwing.

Good Master Thrower tricks: Deadeye Shot, Defensive Throw (or Two With One Blow) and Weak Spot (if DM allows with Power Throw).

Aerlock
2007-08-18, 11:33 AM
Well I've thought about it and the mental image I had come to mind for some reason was a dual wielder of spears. I'm going with shortspears right now, but I'm going to try and kill a (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoplite#Equipment) few (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doru) catgirls (http://www.fighttimes.com/magazine/magazine.asp?article=33) to get my DM to let me dual wield spears.

I'm undecided on the Armor Specialization but am leaning towards Breastplate so I can have a Mithral Breastplate that grants me the DR2 of an Adamantine Breastplate.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Human Fighter 20

1.) Able learner, Point blank shot, Brutal throw
2.) Weapon focus (Shortspear)
3.) Precise shot
4.) Quick draw
6.) Two Weapon Fighting, Oversized TWF
8.) Weapon Specialization (Shortspear)
9.) Ranged Weapon Mastery (Piercing)
10.) Rapid shot
12.) Power attack, Power throw
14.) Greater Weapon Focus (Shortspear)
15.) Greater Weapons Specialization (Shortspear)
16.) Far shot
18.) Weapon supremacy, Armor Specialization (undecided)
20.) Driving attack

Aerlock

Machete
2007-08-18, 11:59 PM
Mobility is important for a ranged weapons user because putting distance between your character and the monsters gives you your edge.

Going Catfolk[miniatures Handbook], taking a Flaw from Unearthed Arcana, taking a Benefit that gets you some extra move, and the first level of Barbarian will get you to 60ft. move whereas most creatures and especially humanoids are 30ft. move. That leaves you with a move and a standard action to attack.

Human may be slightly more efficient with the extra feat but the tribal flavor of the Catfolk grooves well with your class choices and weapon selection. Its a trade off that makes things more interesting.

Mithril doesn't give adamantine DR but Breastplate is an efficient option.

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-19, 12:03 AM
You NEED Far Shot earlier. Range Increments are small with ranged weapons, and as a ranged weapon fighter, your party will expect you to be able to pick off fleeing enemies reliably. Far Shot is really made for thrown weapon fighters, honestly- bows don't need the extra range.

Unless you have precision-based damage in there somewhere.

1.) Able learner, Point blank shot, Brutal throw
2.) Far shot
3.) Precise shot
4.) Weapon focus (Shortspear)
6.) Rapid shot , Quick draw
8.) Weapon Specialization (Shortspear)
9.) Ranged Weapon Mastery (Piercing)
10.) Two Weapon Fighting,
12.) Power attack, Power throw
14.) Greater Weapon Focus (Shortspear)
15.) Greater Weapons Specialization (Shortspear)
16.) Oversized TWF
18.) Weapon supremacy, Armor Specialization (undecided)
20.) Driving attack

My suggestion.