PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Ranger Spell Abilty

Holcane
2017-11-11, 06:10 AM
Was wondering if anyone knew of a Feat or ACF from either 3.5 or PF that would allow a Ranger to base it's spell casting stat off Int or Cha?

Thank in advance.

Eldariel
2017-11-11, 06:25 AM
Was wondering if anyone knew of a Feat or ACF from either 3.5 or PF that would allow a Ranger to base it's spell casting stat off Int or Cha?

Thank in advance.

Well, there's the Dynamic Spellcaster in Legend of the Twins [Dragonlance book]. Technically 3rd party though; makes a single divine caster's spells Charisma-based, but save DCs are still Wis-based (though you're a Ranger so you'll probably use self-buffs, summons, utility and the like more than SoDs). There's also Illumian race with...Aeshkrau runeword combo for Strength-based spells.

Holcane
2017-11-11, 07:05 AM
Well, there's the Dynamic Spellcaster in Legend of the Twins [Dragonlance book]. Technically 3rd party though; makes a single divine caster's spells Charisma-based, but save DCs are still Wis-based (though you're a Ranger so you'll probably use self-buffs, summons, utility and the like more than SoDs). There's also Illumian race with...Aeshkrau runeword combo for Strength-based spells.

Dynamic Priest and it's only available at level 1. :(

Anything else that can help?

ShurikVch
2017-11-11, 07:38 AM
How about to go Prestige Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeRanger) from either Archivist (Int), or Urban Druid with Animal Domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#animalDomain) (Cha)?

Holcane
2017-11-11, 09:26 AM
How about to go Prestige Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeRanger) from either Archivist (Int), or Urban Druid with Animal Domain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm#animalDomain) (Cha)?

Good idea, but it's E6, which limits my selection a lot, at this point it looks like it might be homebrew is the only way.

Zaq
2017-11-11, 10:49 AM
Yeah, at this point I think you’re limited to asking your GM nicely.

I forget how the text on Sword of the Arcane Order works. I’m pretty sure that the Wizard spells it lets you cast have INT involved somehow, but I forget if it’s just for DCs or if it’s also for slots. And I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work for the RANGER spells you cast, just the Wizard-spells-from-Ranger-slots that the feat lets you access.

ShurikVch
2017-11-11, 11:04 AM
How about the 3rd-party stuff?
There's the Lost Tradition (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=10203238) feat (from Bastards and Bloodlines)

ExLibrisMortis
2017-11-11, 11:08 AM
I forget how the text on Sword of the Arcane Order works. I’m pretty sure that the Wizard spells it lets you cast have INT involved somehow, but I forget if it’s just for DCs or if it’s also for slots. And I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work for the RANGER spells you cast, just the Wizard-spells-from-Ranger-slots that the feat lets you access.
SotAO takes the slots you already have, and lets you do new things with them. It doesn't affect your ranger spells or the number of slots. As you say, it does involve INT: you need 10+[spell level] INT to cast wizard spells, and the save DC is INT-based.

You could homebrew a follow-up feat that grants bonus ranger spells based off of INT in addition to WIS. Would be quite decently powerful, but not exceptional: 18 INT/WIS would get you the same bonus spells as 10 INT/26 WIS, but with a much nicer ability spread.

ATHATH
2017-11-11, 08:05 PM
There's also Illumian race with...Aeshkrau runeword combo for Strength-based spells.
Yeah, Aeshkrau (STR) and Uurkrau (DEX) seem like your best bets, here.

This wouldn't happen to be for a Mystic Ranger character, would it?

Eldariel
2017-11-12, 01:30 AM
Dynamic Priest and it's only available at level 1. :(

Anything else that can help?

Retraining as per PHBII or Reincarnation/Last Breathification into an Illumian are about your only options.

Crake
2017-11-12, 05:25 AM
Retraining as per PHBII or Reincarnation/Last Breathification into an Illumian are about your only options.

Holcane said it was an e6 game, so reincarnation and last breath aren't exactly available, not to mention the amount of times you'd need to die and resurrect over and over until you rolled the race you wanted to go, and retraining doesn't allow you to get 1st level feats unless you're at 1st level, becasue you need to qualify for the retrained feats both in your current state and at the level you got the feat. Since you're not 1st level, you can't take the feat with a retrain.

DEMON
2017-11-12, 08:23 AM
The X-krau words only work for bonus spells, though. You'd still need 10+spell level in your casting stat and your DCs would still be based off the original stat.

I'm guessing this is for a Mystic Ranger with SotAO who doesn't want to split his ability points between WIS and INT?

If that is the case and the ability points are tight, I can advise a different sort of approach that might work for you: Go the Wildshape route, dump DEX and STR, max WIS and take Intuitive Attack feat to make your attack rolls based off WIS (works for both simple weapons and your natural attack when wild shaped, or turned into a wolf via Aspect of the Wolf spell).

Eldariel
2017-11-12, 09:50 AM
Holcane said it was an e6 game, so reincarnation and last breath aren't exactly available, not to mention the amount of times you'd need to die and resurrect over and over until you rolled the race you wanted to go, and retraining doesn't allow you to get 1st level feats unless you're at 1st level, becasue you need to qualify for the retrained feats both in your current state and at the level you got the feat. Since you're not 1st level, you can't take the feat with a retrain.

E6 often allows higher level stuff through rituals so they may be on the table. And RNG/ritual can be skewed. Savage Species has species switching rituals too.

Retraining might get excused as having taken it on the first level; else you need a high level Psionic creature to reform you. Sadly you just have to make one of them to work due to the lack of options. But where there's a will, there's a way.