PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical/D&D 5e Specific Homebrew Feat Questions

TechnOkami
2017-11-11, 08:22 AM
I'll get right to it.

How broken/unbalanced would it be to allow a player to take a feat which allowed them to take expertise in a skill which they were already trained in?

How broken/unbalanced would it be to give Warlocks an "Improved Pact of the Blade" feat which allowed them to use sentient weapons as their pact weapon, and permanently changed Eldritch Blast to a melee spell attack which can only be cast using their Pact Weapon?

mgshamster
2017-11-11, 08:33 AM
How broken/unbalanced would it be to allow a player to take a feat which allowed them to take expertise in a skill which they were already trained in?

This feat exists in the new book just released.

MadBear
2017-11-11, 10:02 AM
I'll get right to it.

How broken/unbalanced would it be to give Warlocks an "Improved Pact of the Blade" feat which allowed them to use sentient weapons as their pact weapon, and permanently changed Eldritch Blast to a melee spell attack which can only be cast using their Pact Weapon?

As long as the Eldritch Blast isn't in addition to their weapon damage, I can't see anything wrong with that at all. In fact, I could be wrong, depending on how you do it, I might just houserule for that character that it's a melee attack, without making them pay a feat. I don't see any mechanical benefit, outside of using it in melee, and that's outpaced by how they now need to be up close and personal compared to far away.

LeonBH
2017-11-11, 10:08 AM
A feat that gives Expertise alone would be underwhelming. It needs other nice things too.

And if a sentient weapon can be someone's pact weapon, they can never be disarmed of it. Not unbalanced, but it's up to the DM if they're comfortable with that.

MadBear
2017-11-11, 11:18 AM
A feat that gives Expertise alone would be underwhelming. It needs other nice things too.

And if a sentient weapon can be someone's pact weapon, they can never be disarmed of it. Not unbalanced, but it's up to the DM if they're comfortable with that.

Awwww that's true. Make both of those 1/2 feats, and you're probably set then. (+1 stat, and benefit). A small trade-off, but one that might be worth it for that character.

TechnOkami
2017-11-11, 04:25 PM
This feat exists in the new book just released.
Which book? I'm not really up on the times with new releases.

As long as the Eldritch Blast isn't in addition to their weapon damage, I can't see anything wrong with that at all. In fact, I could be wrong, depending on how you do it, I might just houserule for that character that it's a melee attack, without making them pay a feat. I don't see any mechanical benefit, outside of using it in melee, and that's outpaced by how they now need to be up close and personal compared to far away.
Nah, the weapon attack and the spell attack both chew up standard actions, so it'd have to be one or the other. The only issue which comes up is when they take the Invocation that moves something 15ft away per hit. Maybe it could be house ruled that the movement happens after all the Warlock's attacks accrue, or something that allows the Warlock to keep right by the same target he's pushing as long as it's the same target and no other.

Talamare
2017-11-11, 04:46 PM
A Feat that grants Expertise in a skill?!!?!

Garbage

Make it at the bare minimal grant +1 to a stat as well

clash
2017-11-11, 05:09 PM
You are looking for the ua article feats for skills http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/feats-skills

Talamare
2017-11-11, 05:46 PM
You are looking for the ua article feats for skills http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/feats-skills

Medic
You master the physician’s arts, gaining the
following benefits:
• Increase your Wisdom score by 1, to a
maximum of 20.
• You gain proficiency in the Medicine skill. If
you are already proficient in the skill, you add
double your proficiency bonus to checks you
make with it.
• During a short rest, you can clean and bind the
wounds of up to six willing beasts and
humanoids. Make a DC 15 Wisdom (Medicine)
check for each creature. On a success, if a
creature spends a Hit Die during this rest, that
creature can forgo the roll and instead regain
the maximum number of hit points the die can
restore. A creature can do so only once per
rest, regardless of how many Hit Dice it
spends.

haahhahahahahaahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahah
aahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

"Let's take the Durable Feat... and essentially give it to the entire party, oh and don't forget the Expertise!"

Shows how insanely pathetic the Durable Feat is...

* Disclaimer
I understand the intricacies of the Durable Feat when it involves small HD and Massive Con, it's still a garbage feat.
I also understand that this feat isn't guaranteed to work, and only works on the first HD.

lunaticfringe
2017-11-11, 05:56 PM
Which book? I'm not really up on the times with new releases.

Prodigy from Xanathar's Guide to Everything. Its a Racial feat for Humans, Half Elves, & Half Orcs. Though I feel like any Race should be able to take it, it's not that amazing.

+1 Skill, Tool, & Language
Essentially Expertise in 1 Skill, doesn't stack w/ Expertise.