PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder A question about creating content

thecrimsondawn
2017-11-11, 10:19 AM
I have been greatly inspired by some of you guys creations. From DSP to Legendary games, I have found so much extra flavor that it re-sparked my waning interest in the game. Still, despite all this, I see things that are missing, could be improved, or added, and I would like to create some of this content and make it available for the community.
The issue is some of the ideas use systems made by 3pp providers, such as DSPs path of war and Akashic Mysteries.

What I want to know is what can I do without stepping on any toes? I dont plan to make money off of the abstract creations I make, but I would perhaps even like to give my creations to the teams that created the content should they feel it would be a nice addition.

Some direction please? :)

Powerdork
2017-11-11, 10:26 AM
Well, first off, familiarize yourself with the terms of the Open Game License. It's a very important legal agreement that everyone in the field has bound themselves to. It lays out what you can and cannot take from a book, and anyone who's taken from a book with the Open Game License has to use that same license. It can usually be found near the end of any game book you have.

From there, I suggest looking at Ms. Heck's Guide to Game Product Publishing:
https://forrestfire-studios.tumblr.com/post/158373760288/a-3pp-startup-guide-part-1

EldritchWeaver
2017-11-11, 10:28 AM
To put it simple, anything designated as Open Game Content can be reused without paying anything, as long you reference your sources. Anything designated as Product Identity may not be reused outside with express permission.

The first problem is to separate the two correctly. The second is that some companies simply designate everything possibly as PI, which prevents any simple reuse. There is nothing stopping you from recreating the missing bits, though.

thecrimsondawn
2017-11-11, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the replies you guys.
I read over that guide and what was posted, and I think with what I would like to do is just create something and give it to a publisher that is already up to see if they like it. I have a great deal of skill when it comes to creating content that players enjoy, while keeping the balance, but I fall short with art and literature.

For example, lets say I wanted to make an archetype or an unchained version of a class made by DSP. Would I be able to create a stat block so to speak, and send that to them to see if its something they are interested in adopting, or would it be better to contact them someway first with the idea, of if this is even an idea I can do?

Powerdork
2017-11-12, 03:21 AM
The Open Game License, provided you don't ever make reference to (or copy) from a source that's invoked it, doesn't stop you from just... writing words. That said, you'll probably mention some basic mechanics that fall under SRD, or vie for the compatibility license, so you need to have your Section 15 planned out.
If you want to make an archetype, you will have to copy the Section 15 entry from the Advanced Player's Guide, and if you want to make an unchained class, you will have to copy the Section 15 entry from Pathfinder Unchained. If you want to base your material on a specific class, you'll have to check your book to see if it's Open Game Content, and if it is, then you can write for it (and must copy the Section 15 of that book into your own Section 15).
It really is about this simple, assuming Dreamscarred Press did the proper thing: You can't copyright a game mechanic, but you can copyright people, places, and scenarios. You couldn't publish your writing about Adrian the soulknife (without DSP's permission), but you could write about soulknives and their place in a standard Pathfinder RPG setting, or give soulknives a new feat, blade skill, archetype, or class feature substitution.

So, go ahead and write that archetype, even come up with your own iconic character for it. You can take it to DSP with it later, but I'm told that you shouldn't expect them to leap at the idea. And, if not, there are still publishing companies who would be happy to help you put your work to press.

AmberVael
2017-11-12, 05:53 PM
Just pushing your work towards a publisher with the murkiness of "you can have it if you want I guess" is an uncomfortable prospect for a lot of different reasons. For one, I imagine most publishers would be wary of it. I would really recommend taking a firm position one way or another. Here are the options I see:

1) Homebrew. If you're not interested in doing anything official, just homebrew! There's so much less to worry about this way, for you and the publisher.
2) Self-publish. If you don't want to be tied to a contract or publisher, consider publishing it yourself. Even if you don't have any art or fluff, mechanics can frequently stand on their own.
3) Work with a publisher formally. If you want to see your work published, have confidence in your skill, and don't want to bother with any of the details beyond just writing mechanics... just actually become a freelancer with a publisher. I promise you, it's not as hard as you imagine it is. And if you really don't want the money, just donate it somewhere. Support the patreons of some publishers or something, feed it back into the industry if you like this stuff.

A.J.Gibson
2017-11-12, 09:47 PM
In addition to what has been said, I'll add: find a source of (useful) criticism. Like in Ender's Game: the only teacher is the enemy, he will teach you where you are weak. Same idea, but with less murder. If possible, get a list of people who will look through your stuff and critique it (probably other writers wanting you to do the same in return).

Also, it's better to write crap than write nothing. Don't think an idea has to be perfect before you can develop it. I've seen other writers get paralyzed with 'waiting for the perfect idea'.

thecrimsondawn
2017-11-12, 10:57 PM
Thanks again for all the advice.

So lets say I do decide I want to publish something I make. Like I said before, creating art and what not is not my strong suit. What steps should I take?

Psyren
2017-11-13, 03:25 AM
We can't really tell you "what steps to take" as that would constitute legal advice, which is not allowed on this forum. An intellectual property lawyer can give you much better advice in getting your work out there safely.

Failing that, the guide Metool linked is probably your best bet as a starting point - but again, before actually following those steps you should consider legal counsel.