PDA

View Full Version : Character help

Zuladel
2017-11-11, 10:56 AM
Just looking for some advice. First let me start by going over the character. He is the classic grumpy old man/hermit that lives on the mountain makes his way to town twice a year to give presents of hand carved toys to the kids and purchase supplies that he can't make himself. His mountain home is near a mine that he uses to smelt and craft items out of bronze. He has crafted himself a suit of full plate armor out of bronze and is known as Bronzeman to the town who have made a by early holiday out of his visits. That being said I originally made him a paladin for the full plate but didn't feel like that fit his background and reworked him to forge cleric one and ranger one to get all his background covered. I decided as a worshiper of the spirits and the old ways not caring about the modern religions that guardian ranger worked well for him. He takes on the spirits growing in stature to amite those that threaten him and the innocent. I was getting bored with playing just a melee brute stick so after discussing it with the dm I went mystic after 4 levels of ranger. Now after 4 levels of mystic I'm debating on where to take him.

Mechanically he is
16 str has a weapon that increase this to 18 at the cost of disadvantage on all ability checks.
Dex 8
Con 16
Int 13
Wis 14
Cha 10

His two ability bumps have been used for polearm feat and sentinal he uses his tunnel fighting style comboing these two feats to hit all creatures that enter his reach and stop them in there tracks.

His mystic discipline are

Giant growth
The nomad one that gives you training in a skill
Adaptable body taken for the no breathe eat etc.. for rp reasons
Mastery of air I just took for the cloak of wind to give enemies disadvantage on attacks since I am the only melee and front line for a bunch of Squishies. I tried taking master of light and darkness but with 4-5 players with the ability to see in magical darkness the dm said it seemed to strong and asked me to change it out.

Anyway I have the ability to do a complete rewrite mechanically is there a better way to pull off this concept. Sorry away from books so I don't have all the exact names for everything.

X3r4ph
2017-11-11, 11:47 AM
Are you still guardian ranger? What kind of mystic are you?

I would go ranger 5 at least. That second attack is gold. If you are still guardian then ranger 7 is pretty good.

After that I would go mystic til 11 at least.

PS. How have you handled multiclassing with mystic?

Zuladel
2017-11-11, 01:49 PM
Yes too guardian ranger it's fun if not the best the slow speed is annoying but I found boots of springing and striding that the dm let me split the difference with so in tree I move at 15.

Mystic I went with immortal but I'm not set on that I'm more than happy to change to another. For multiclassing I added an int 13 requirement

X3r4ph
2017-11-11, 02:38 PM
Immortal's Surge of Health ability is quite nice. After getting the extra attack from Ranger 5 I would head straight for Mystic 6. After that, go for Ranger 7, and then finish off with Mystic... unless you need that Ranger ASI at 8. Time will tell.

I think, I would also change up your Disciplines a bit. Nomadic Mind is nice and all, but perhaps Nomadic Step would help you more ofset the movement down side of the Primal Guardian form.
Also, you should really consider Beast Form. No only does it grant you +2 AC for almost no Psi cost it also lets you "smite" which will increase your damage significantly.
I am personally a big fan of Celerity and Intellect Fortress as well, but maybe they are better later when you have more Psi points.