PDA

View Full Version : The DNDBeyond character builder stinks.

lesbiasparrow
2017-11-11, 12:54 PM
I used orcpub2 and loved it. I understand why WotC made them take it down, but oh my goodness, not having everything on one page is driving me nuts! The constant clicking back and forth between class, race, sheet...

What do you guys use instead for "just for fun" builds? Because I can't imagine using the DNDB one unless you had to.

Tanarii
2017-11-11, 12:56 PM
Paper and pencil.

Something something GROGNARD! :smallamused:

Riddikulus
2017-11-11, 01:09 PM
They are redoing the character builder. That is the next big update I believe.

lesbiasparrow
2017-11-11, 01:18 PM
They are redoing the character builder. That is the next big update I believe.

From your lips to God's ears! I hope it ends up looking like OrcPub.

Riddikulus
2017-11-11, 01:48 PM
They have started to do Developer update videos every month. I can't post a link, but if you go to the D&D Beyond YouTube channel you can find a video from Sept. and Oct.

Mjolnirbear
2017-11-11, 01:49 PM
More Purple More Better's character sheet on DMSGuild. It's the shizz.

JackPhoenix
2017-11-11, 01:57 PM
What do you guys use instead for "just for fun" builds? Because I can't imagine using the DNDB one unless you had to.

My mind. If I'm planning a character "just for fun", I'm not writting it down.

mr-mercer
2017-11-11, 05:36 PM
I honestly tend to use Roll20 for it. It's not 100% automated like orcpub was, but it makes some things at least a little easier, even if I can't port my sheets over without the premium service. I actually have a "game" running entirely for the purpose of jotting down characters, because it also provides a nice area in which I can experiment with things and see how well different things work in certain situations.

Dudewithknives
2017-11-11, 05:45 PM

Yep, it is solid gold. Best character sheet I have ever seen.

If I knew anything about programing or PDFS is would write up so much for it.

Also, to agree up top, spent 200 plus on D&D Beyond. It can not even make my character I am currently playing because it will not let you switch out invocations when you level up, it will never let you drop one of the level 2s.

Also, I should not have to make so many custom items just to fix their product issues.

Had to make a ring of mage armor because it would not activate on itself.

Sigreid
2017-11-11, 10:16 PM
We play using Fantasy Grounds, so I use that. Like it rather a lot.

RedMage125
2017-11-12, 09:02 AM

Which one is that? I went looking on DMsGuild, and none say "More Purple more Better".

Do you have a link?

Innocent_bystan
2017-11-12, 11:01 AM
Which one is that? I went looking on DMsGuild, and none say "More Purple more Better".

Do you have a link?
According to MPMB on EnWorld, WOTC has taken it offline.

Potato_Priest
2017-11-12, 12:19 PM
I'm no grognard (I started on 5e) but I also prefer the ol' paper and pencil character sheet. You don't have to print out a new copy every time your inventory or HP totals change, because pencil, unlike printer ink, has the wonderful property of being erasable.

Mjolnirbear
2017-11-12, 03:22 PM

Do you have a link?

https://www.patreon.com/morepurplemorebetter

So this is his patreon. If you already have the sheet from DMSGuild you can continue to update it apparently.

Edit: v12. 998 is the last version with any non-SRD content. WOTC won't let him host it on DMsGuild, and without DMsGuild he can't host non-SRD content. So he's making an SRD version and letting individuals do their their own coding

Dudewithknives
2017-11-12, 03:25 PM
https://www.patreon.com/morepurplemorebetter

So this is his patreon. If you already have the sheet from DMSGuild you can continue to update it apparently.

Until they throw a cease a d desist order at him to take it down.

I have used his sheet for 2 years plus, will keep my own copy and update if I can.

Jerrykhor
2017-11-12, 07:48 PM
So true. I loved Orcpub 2 too. D&D Beyond is just slow, clunky to use, and seems to be designed by people who don't understand the mechanics (why show total HP before we adjust our ability scores?)

Dudewithknives
2017-11-12, 07:54 PM
So true. I loved Orcpub 2 too. D&D Beyond is just slow, clunky to use, and seems to be designed by people who don't understand the mechanics (why show total HP before we adjust our ability scores?)

Also, Warlocks can not switch out invocations when they level up.

I literally can not even put my character on the thing.

Kane0
2017-11-12, 08:02 PM
Ta-da (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3yyEV0sAHjTNWZtcE14bXdPR1E/view?usp=sharing)! I'm old school like that.

Foxhound438
2017-11-12, 08:51 PM
Ta-da (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3yyEV0sAHjTNWZtcE14bXdPR1E/view?usp=sharing)! I'm old school like that.

I too use a spreadsheet. Excel 2003 is what's on my laptop, that seems to work fine.

rooneg
2017-11-12, 09:00 PM
I use a google docs spreadsheet based character sheet, which lets me write formulas for various and sundry things. 5e is simple enough that it works, but I'd love to have a real character builder.

Sadly, even if DDB manages to fix their character builder they're still useless to me because they have absolutely terrible support for exporting a printable sheet. It's beyond useless. No, I don't want "Hit Points" to be included among my class based abilities. No, it's not sufficient to just include the names of all the abilities, if I was willing to leave it at that I'd just type it up myself. It's like they did the simplest thing they could think of, just running over their internal data structures and spitting them into the PDF form, and it really really shows.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-11-12, 09:03 PM
I have stacks of printed character sheets for when I need to suddenly develop a character. As the resident math nerd/optimizer, I always end up building everyone's characters for them. I'd complain, but I really like making characters.

I'd like a good character builder so that I could hand things off to my friends for tweaking, but in lieu of it I do things with pencils by the light of a candle, a merlot or cabernet sauvignon by it for 'inspiration'. A stout if I'm in a beer mood.

There's no point in doing anything if you won't do it proper.

lesbiasparrow
2017-11-12, 09:12 PM
I have a nice Word doc with pretty tables that I fill out by hand for characters I’m actually playing, but when I (for instance) am trying to figure out if I’d rather make a finesse S+B Hexblade or a GWM/PAM Hexblade, it’d be really nice to press a few buttons and see what I’m gaining and losing with each option. I don’t want to type everything in for something I’m just noodling on. Once I make the big choices, I’d fine-tune everything later on by hand.

masterstrider
2017-11-12, 09:36 PM
This is really good. I've been using it for ages.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1234

MS

Burnteyes
2017-11-12, 09:47 PM

Went and looked for this couldn't find it. Would you mind providing a link?

LordEntrails
2017-11-12, 09:53 PM
I use Fantasy Grounds. It's fast and easy drag and drop.

Hrugner
2017-11-12, 10:22 PM
I honestly tend to use Roll20 for it. It's not 100% automated like orcpub was, but it makes some things at least a little easier, even if I can't port my sheets over without the premium service. I actually have a "game" running entirely for the purpose of jotting down characters, because it also provides a nice area in which I can experiment with things and see how well different things work in certain situations.

Same here. It's a good place to mess around with characters and leaves me with a host of characters for one shots.

furryblueelf
2017-11-12, 10:35 PM
If you google 'charforge', there should be a link to the Fey Rune Labs one. All contained in a google sheet. You just need to make a copy to your gdrive.
It does not have a reset option, so keep one blank, then clone it and work off the clone for any new characters.

Burnteyes
2017-11-12, 10:45 PM
Went and looked for this couldn't find it. Would you mind providing a link?

Note - I found it but it is not longer available on DMSGuild

Cybren
2017-11-12, 11:23 PM
This is really good. I've been using it for ages.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1234

MS

yeah i really like Forged Anvil. It'll probably also get C&D'd at some point though, given the sheet contains everything