PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Making a character for ToA

Seekergeek
2017-11-11, 07:34 PM
So I'm starting with a group playing in ToA next Saturday, and perhaps understandably the DM is playing his cards pretty close to the vest. I don't want to risk spoilers, myself, so I turn to you fine Giants to let me know your opinions on two things:

1) bladesinger, XGtE hexblade, or UA Treachery Paladin for a gish in this campaign?
2) how much trouble will I run into if I take spells/abilities that focus on necrotic or poison damage? Seems like undead are likely to play a hefty role and at the very least that seems to put poison damage at an even greater disadvantage and may even make necrotic damage a wasted investment.

The party is currently made up of a monk planning to go drunken master, a paladin planning on going redemption, a rogue planning on going AT, a ranger unsure of where to go, and a draconic sorcerer who is playing DnD for the first time. Not the most balanced party, but frankly I always seem to be the dude plugging the gap for what it seems like we need, and I don't wanna this time around.

Thanks, Giants!

Relbin
2017-11-12, 03:21 PM
Bladesinger seems a good fit for that party since you are low on spells. There are a bunch of monsters that are immune to poison in the adventure.

Chugger
2017-11-13, 04:22 AM
Lots of undead so far - immune to poison.

They say other creatures are, too.

And if you wear heavy armor into that jungle, I think bad things happen to you. Exhaustion maybe.

Arceus
2017-11-13, 07:34 AM
Recently started ToA myself (2 sessions in) and been having a blast.

Party has a Druid, Bard and Fighter, with me playing a Yuan-Ti Hexblade (that poison immunity is useful)

For Gish, Treachery Paladin doesn't seem the most useful, given you already have a paladin in the party, which leaves it between Hexblade and Bladesinger- I recommend Hexblade, but that's partly because I'm a massive Warlock fan.

Bladesinger does give you more spell slots, which are always useful, whilst Hexblade gives a higher Hit Die and Medium Armor, leaving you less reliant on Dex, meaning you can have better scores in other stats