PDA

View Full Version : Really interesting, but not necessarily powerful, magic items

tedcahill2
2017-11-11, 08:48 PM
*Edited to add running list of items8

I'll give some examples (these do not need to be original), then I'd love to see some others.

1/day, whenever you take an action that requires you to roll a d20 (i.e. skills, attacks, saves) you instead flip a coin. If heads resolve the action as though you rolled a 20, if tails resolve the action as though you rolled a 1.

On a successful critical hit this +1 Frost Battleaxe casts Calm Emotions (Will negates, DC 14) on the target of the critical hit. Spell effect only affects target of attack.

This cloak is made of woven vines. When thrown against a vertical surface the vines grow 30ft up, making the surface climbable with a DC 10 climb check. It can also be tossed across a chasm or river to make a bridge up to a maximum of 30ft long. Additionally, 1/day the cloak can be tossed to the ground duplicating an entangle spell cast by a 3rd level Druid.

When the command word "sole survivor" is spoken, this ordinary looking pair of sturdy leather boots glows with the brightness and warmed of a camp fire. Additionally, the boots fill with a hearty stew that can feed up to 8 people. The boots must be placed on the ground together for this magic to work.

Quaal's Feather Token: Tree

Stick a bottle of air in portable hole, hop inside, and pull it closed from the other side - congratulations, you are untouchable.

Rod of Ropes (Complete Scoundrel p116)

Conjures an arrow or bolt into your hand any time you speak a lie, which is a free action. Combined with launch bolt you can assassinate someone in a no-weapon zone at low levels.

It's a big slab of slate that works like a crystal ball - think of a person while holding it, and it draws a (still) picture of that person and their current surroundings. And like a crystal ball, we could cast Message through it. He had to put a 'only one picture per person a day' limitation on it, as we tended to abuse it to keep tabs on people long-distance

It's a big slab of slate that lets you send minor, 2-D illusions through it with a Craft(Drawing) check and a scaling time by complexity. If you mess up and want to start over, you have to reset the whole image and start from scratch. It's the Etch-a-Sketch of Scrying!

This handheld, wooden object is shaped like a pistol, but lacks moving parts. When the wielder places their finger where a pistol trigger would normally be located, a cone of searing flame shoots from the end of the barrel. This effect is identical to the Burning Hands spell.

3/day, as a standard action, this pair of +1 Returning Throwing Axes can be thrown in unison. When used in this way anyone caught in the path of the axes (a 20ft line) takes damage from both axes; a Reflex save (DC equal to your attack roll) reduces damage to half. Your attack roll does not need to hit an enemy's AC to deal damage, instead it sets the DC for the Reflex save. Additionally, all vegetation in the line of effect is completely felled.

This mirror was made at the request of a Warrior Princess who was tired of the local magic stores constantly being out of stock of the exact item she wanted, and not patient enough to wait days or weeks for the item to be commissioned by a local crafter.

The mirror is actually a gateway to a mercantile plane. To activate it, describe the item you would like to purchase. (You can make any specifications you want; style, color, size). The mirror will display the cost of the item in gold pieces. Place the requested amount of gold on the mirror, and speak the command words, "Check out." The gold disappears. In its place is the item you've requested.

There is a cumulative 1% chance per 1,000gp value of the item requested that the request is intercepted by malevolent outsiders. The outsiders take the money, but the item you receive is not what you requested, cursed, or otherwise defective. There is a chance equal to the inverse of the percentage die that you can exchange the faulty good for 90% of its gp value. This is a one-time roll; if you do not make the percentile, the money is gone for good, and you're left with a faulty item.

For 8k you get a once per day disarm or steal (and brought back to your hand) at +16 cmb agaonst anyone within 30ft (maybe 60. Cant check atm) plus its just cool to summon a big shadow bird to do your dirty work for you.

Immovable Rod

Ring of the Ram

Trollgut Rope

A pendant with a small red cross imbued on it. After casting a spell that restores a creatures hit points, the wearer rolls a d20. On a 16 or higher roll, the spell does not cost the user a spell slot.

jmax
2017-11-11, 09:37 PM
I really like the All-or-Nothing Coin given that sometimes you can only succeed on a 20 - or, sometimes, you just know that you need better than 11 and therefore are increasing your odds of success with the coin flip. It would also be great with a vorpal weapon.

The ivy cloak is also really cool and flavorful.

My contributions:

It's always interesting to see what players will come up with if you give them a Feather Token: Tree. My favorite usage so far has been sneaking invisibly onto a heavily guarded stone bridge and dropping the tree token to destroy the bridge - the roots forced themselves through the stone, compromising its integrity and collapsing it after a few seconds. It was a shame to blow such a beautiful bridge, but we had to stall the army on the other side.

Much farther up the power totem pole, never underestimate a portable hole. Stick a bottle of air in it, hop inside, and pull it closed from the other side - congratulations, you are untouchable. I also greatly enjoy filling it with party members and then using master earth or self-only greater teleport from shapechanging into an archon.

I've always wanted to try a Rod of Ropes (Complete Scoundrel p116). Think the Hookshot from Legend of Zelda games (before they nerfed it in later games with the generally lame Clawshot), but it has one on each end.

Finally, I would be remiss if I did not link to this comic (http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-5-5/) and its follow-up (http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-7-29/).

The Viscount
2017-11-11, 10:17 PM
One of my favorites is the Quiver of Lies from BoVD, which conjures an arrow or bolt into your hand any time you speak a lie, which is a free action. Combined with launch bolt you can assassinate someone in a no-weapon zone at low levels.

Arbane
2017-11-11, 11:49 PM
One my GM in a recent campaign came up with: The Magic Slate: It's a big slap of slate that works like a crystal ball - think of a person while holding it, and it draws a (still) picture of that person and their current surroundings. And like a crystal ball, we could cast Message through it. He had to put a 'only one picture per person a day' limitation on it, as we tended to abuse it to keep tabs on people long-distance.

jmax
2017-11-12, 08:59 AM
And like a crystal ball, we could cast Message through it.

I'm envisioning a version that lets you send minor, 2-D illusions through it with a Craft(Drawing) check and a scaling time by complexity. If you mess up and want to start over, you have to reset the whole image and start from scratch. It's the Etch-a-Sketch of Scrying!

Flame Thrower
This handheld, wooden object is shaped like a pistol, but lacks moving parts. When the wielder places their finger where a pistol trigger would normally be located, a cone of searing flame shoots from the end of the barrel. This effect is identical to the Burning Hands spell.

I've heard stories lesser versions of those getting confiscated at airports because people didn't realize you can't take a handgun-shaped metal lighter through the security checkpoints.

One of my favorites is the Quiver of Lies from BoVD, which conjures an arrow or bolt into your hand any time you speak a lie, which is a free action. Combined with launch bolt you can assassinate someone in a no-weapon zone at low levels.

I'd forgotten about the Quiver of Lies - that one really has some great role-playing flavor, especially in the hands of a player who can keep it up for a long time. In your scenario, if your target isn't expecting it, that should allow Sneak Attack - which makes it plausible that it'd actually bring them down. (I've always thought it a little weird that you need to roll close to max damage on a critical hit with a crossbow to kill a 1-HD Commoner with 10 Con under stock death rules - roughly a 1% chance per shot assuming you can hit on a Natural 2.)

tedcahill2
2017-11-12, 11:12 PM
Flame Thrower

This is basically just a wand with infinite charges that can be used without casting or UMD right?

ben-zayb
2017-11-12, 11:55 PM
Rod of Ropes from Dungeonscape.

Because Batman.

TalonOfAnathrax
2017-11-13, 06:51 AM
Our party once came across a flask that never emptied, but contained paint. Its color could be changed with a command word, and it tirkccled out too slowly to have any in-combat effect. We used it to leave crude tracks, annoy rich people we didn't like, and in one memorable case "multiply" wine and poison it all at once!
We eventually decided to hang it upside down over an Aboleth's lair. After about two hours the GM decided that the pool was finally becoming noticeably toxic (and harder for us to see through) so the Aboleth came to us instead of making us come to it. Convenient, but not gamebreaking.

jmax
2017-11-13, 07:37 AM
Our party once came across a flask that never emptied, but contained paint. Its color could be changed with a command word, and it tirkccled out too slowly to have any in-combat effect. We used it to leave crude tracks, annoy rich people we didn't like, and in one memorable case "multiply" wine and poison it all at once!
We eventually decided to hang it upside down over an Aboleth's lair. After about two hours the GM decided that the pool was finally becoming noticeably toxic (and harder for us to see through) so the Aboleth came to us instead of making us come to it. Convenient, but not gamebreaking.

That is very clever! *applause*

Now I have a mind to try using a decanter of endless water to flush things out of burrows/caves. Alas it probably takes too long to be useful - the geyser mode produces a similar flow (300 gallons per minute) to a medium-diameter firehose (http://www.davidsfire.com/images/FlowChart.pdf), but at that rate you're looking at 17 days to fill a 100-ft cube (https://www.google.com/search?q=(100+ft)%5E3%2F(5+gallons+per+second)&oq=(100+ft)%5E3%2F(5+gallons+per+second)&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j6.9839j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8). Still, it might flush that dragon out eventually... although recovering its horde is going to be a right pain if it doesn't.

Jack_Simth
2017-11-13, 07:50 AM
That is very clever! *applause*

Now I have a mind to try using a decanter of endless water to flush things out of burrows/caves. Alas it probably takes too long to be useful - the geyser mode produces a similar flow (300 gallons per minute) to a medium-diameter firehose (http://www.davidsfire.com/images/FlowChart.pdf), but at that rate you're looking at 17 days to fill a 100-ft cube (https://www.google.com/search?q=(100+ft)%5E3%2F(5+gallons+per+second)&oq=(100+ft)%5E3%2F(5+gallons+per+second)&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j6.9839j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8). Still, it might flush that dragon out eventually... although recovering its horde is going to be a right pain if it doesn't.

Nah. Any place big enough for you to care about that could be flooded by that slow of a rate already would be flooded due to rain. Yes, even in the middle of a desert (it does rain occasionally there, and quite hard). Try working out what one inch of rain over an acre is sometime, and then realize that's a very light rain.

jmax
2017-11-13, 08:56 AM
Nah. Any place big enough for you to care about that could be flooded by that slow of a rate already would be flooded due to rain. Yes, even in the middle of a desert (it does rain occasionally there, and quite hard). Try working out what one inch of rain over an acre is sometime, and then realize that's a very light rain.

It depends on the slope of the entryway, but yes - I'll concede the point that it probably wouldn't work overall. If the entry is initially sloped upward to keep rain out, you'd have to climb in a ways, and the dragon could just come out far enough to retrieve the decanter.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-11-13, 11:07 AM
Rod of Ropes from Dungeonscape.

Because Batman.
The first campaign I ever played in (Ruins of Greyhawk) was largely trivialized by a Warlock wielding a Rod of Ropes. Not because either is strong mind you, the DM had no idea what he was doing and couldn't adapt easily. But I have fond memories of crippling that giant ghost charioteer with a knee-height tripwire.

To actually contribute, The Adventure Zone had a lot of these that someone listed here (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryrKTQIUle). They were meant for a 5e game, but are generally flavorful and could be easily adapted. Give a player Railsplitter and watch them try and convince you that "tree" is a much broader category than it is! Thrill as your players attempt to solve one problem per day by eating it with the Glutton's Fork! Enjoy roleplay the world's most irascible gnome as the Nit Picker goes to work!

tedcahill2
2017-11-13, 11:33 AM
The first campaign I ever played in (Ruins of Greyhawk) was largely trivialized by a Warlock wielding a Rod of Ropes. Not because either is strong mind you, the DM had no idea what he was doing and couldn't adapt easily. But I have fond memories of crippling that giant ghost charioteer with a knee-height tripwire.

To actually contribute, The Adventure Zone had a lot of these that someone listed here (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryrKTQIUle). They were meant for a 5e game, but are generally flavorful and could be easily adapted. Give a player Railsplitter and watch them try and convince you that "tree" is a much broader category than it is! Thrill as your players attempt to solve one problem per day by eating it with the Glutton's Fork! Enjoy roleplay the world's most irascible gnome as the Nit Picker goes to work!

Love TAZ!

Being a TAZ fan and a DOTA 2 fan I also thought of this:

Whirling Axes
3/day, as a standard action, this pair of +1 Returning Throwing Axes can be thrown in unison. When used in this way anyone caught in the path of the axes (a 20ft line) takes damage from both axes; a Reflex save (DC equal to your attack roll) reduces damage to half. Your attack roll does not need to hit an enemy's AC to deal damage, instead it sets the DC for the Reflex save. Additionally, all vegetation in the line of effect is completely felled.

Rijan_Sai
2017-11-13, 12:28 PM
Finally, I would be remiss if I did not link to this comic (http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-5-5/) and its follow-up (http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-7-29/).
Don't forget an example of practical application! (http://rustyandco.com/comic/level-5-35/) :smallbiggrin:

I'm envisioning version that lets you send minor, 2-D illusions through it with a Craft(Drawing) check and a scaling time by complexity. If you mess up and want to start over, you have to reset the whole image and start from scratch. It's the Etch-a-Sketch of Scrying!
That is disgustingly awesome and I hate you with the burning passion of Pelor right now! :smallbiggrin:

---

One of my favorite items is Shapesand. (Okay, technically an alchemical substance, not a magic item...)
Especially when playing a character that makes sure to have the whole "kit-n-caboodle" of mundane items, (basically, most of the stuff here (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/equipment.htm)) a jug of shapesand gives you the whole "kit-in-a-bottle!" (No liquids, alchemical, or magic items; but if you need any solid mundane item, it's always right at hand! And doesn't require a large investment in wisdom to control enough for most any practical application! (<-That's twice I've used that term!))

Also, continuing my general love of all things Sandstorm, the Bottle of Endless Sand! Similar to, (and fun to use with,) the Decanter of Endless Water, but makes it easy to always fulfill the requirements of various abilities (Drift magic; Sandshaper's Dust Magic, Sand Shape, and Desert Shroud if you get to that level; etc.)

Telonius
2017-11-13, 12:44 PM
Mirror of the Warrior Princess. This mirror was made at the request of a Warrior Princess who was tired of the local magic stores constantly being out of stock of the exact item she wanted, and not patient enough to wait days or weeks for the item to be commissioned by a local crafter.

The mirror is actually a gateway to a mercantile plane. To activate it, describe the item you would like to purchase. (You can make any specifications you want; style, color, size). The mirror will display the cost of the item in gold pieces. Place the requested amount of gold on the mirror, and speak the command words, "Check out." The gold disappears. In its place is the item you've requested.

There is a cumulative 1% chance per 1,000gp value of the item requested that the request is intercepted by malevolent outsiders. The outsiders take the money, but the item you receive is not what you requested, cursed, or otherwise defective. There is a chance equal to the inverse of the percentage die that you can exchange the faulty good for 90% of its gp value. This is a one-time roll; if you do not make the percentile, the money is gone for good, and you're left with a faulty item.

thelastorphan
2017-11-13, 01:22 PM
Shadow Falconer's Glove from PF Ultimate Equipment is one of my favorites. For 8k you get a once per day disarm or steal (and brought back to your hand) at +16 cmb agaonst anyone within 30ft (maybe 60. Cant check atm) plus its just cool to summon a big shadow bird to do your dirty work for you.

Bohandas
2017-11-13, 08:57 PM
A lot of interesting ideas in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?485471-Buying-Furniture):

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?485471-Buying-Furniture

Things like

Boardy McGameface, magical entertainment system: Intelligent Table of Feasting (Stronghold Builder's Guidebook p.84; Heroes' Feast 3/day) Int 19 Wis 10 Cha 19; Speech, Telepathy 120 ft, Read Languages and Magic; Blindsense and Darkvision 120 feet and hearing; Lesser Powers: Prestidigitation continuously, Dancing Lights at will, Ghost Sound at will, item has 10 ranks in Diplomacy, item has 10 ranks in Perform(Oratory), item has 10 ranks in Sense Motive; Greater Powers: Minor Image at will; Ego 19

Eladrinblade
2017-11-13, 09:48 PM
immovable rod
ring of the ram (its actually good for rogues)
trollgut rope
quaals feather token (tree)

Thurbane
2017-11-13, 10:57 PM
There's a PF magic item that is basically a magical box that contains a hairless cat with a human head, which serves as a kind of familiar/companion to the person who owns the box. It's features slowly change until it's face look like it's owner. :smallbiggrin:

Can't recall the name, but it struck me as an item I'd love to port over to my 3.5 game at some point.

kulosle
2017-11-13, 11:15 PM
One could the op lease edit the first post to include all these items by name cause I want might want to use some of these.

There is the obvious one of immovable rod. Everyone pretty much knows how cool it is but no one thinks the myriad of things it can do is powerful. Really bad flight. Bracing doors. Bull rush defense. Etc. One of my favorite items. On items that already exist shapesand is fun. Any mundane item you might need at a thought.

I also think the chill axe should just auto succeed. Or at least have a scaling dc. Calm emotions isn't a great ability and criting doesn't happen all often. Love the flavor though.

If we are going to being up TAZ the item that made tunnels was great

ATHATH
2017-11-13, 11:15 PM

The Physician's Pendant from that list intrigued me.

The Physician's Pendant
Merle rolled 6
A pendant with a small red cross imbued on it. After casting a spell that restores a creatures hit points, the wearer rolls a d20. On a 16 or higher roll, the spell does not cost the user a spell slot.

I realized that life-draining spells (like, say, Vampiric Touch) would probably be affected by the pendant. It sort of reminds me of the "vampire cleric" builds for Card Hunter (before vampires became an actual in-game thing in that game, at least) that abused the wording of a specific trait that let you cast spells with the "heal" keyword in them as a free action (note that you'd still be limited by the number of cards in your hand and by the need to have the trait drawn and active for the combo/strategy to work). The dev team liked the strategy/loophole so much that they added items that were specifically designed to support it.

tedcahill2
2017-11-14, 11:48 AM
Edited original post to add items.

I have never heard of Trollgut rope. Does it regenerate or something?

Elkad
2017-11-14, 12:20 PM

I have never heard of Trollgut rope. Does it regenerate or something?

Yes. Without checking the books, so I might be wildly wrong here. It's a 50' rope that you can command to grow to 300' once a day. You can cut some off and the cut off portion remains in existence for a bunch of hours.
The next day you can make the stub of rope grow again.

DeTess
2017-11-14, 12:38 PM
Mirror of the Warrior Princess. This mirror was made at the request of a Warrior Princess who was tired of the local magic stores constantly being out of stock of the exact item she wanted, and not patient enough to wait days or weeks for the item to be commissioned by a local crafter.

It took me way to long to figure out the twist here. Well played, sir.

jmax
2017-11-14, 07:24 PM

Don't forget the Etch-a-Sketch version of the Magic Slate :-)

Thurbane
2017-11-14, 08:43 PM
There's a PF magic item that is basically a magical box that contains a hairless cat with a human head, which serves as a kind of familiar/companion to the person who owns the box. It's features slowly change until it's face look like it's owner. :smallbiggrin:

Can't recall the name, but it struck me as an item I'd love to port over to my 3.5 game at some point.

Found it: Migrus Locker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/m-p/migru/)

kuhaica
2017-11-14, 10:49 PM
Shamelessly borrow this.

"The Morbid Pocketwatch" A gold pocketwatch with a faint skull inscription on its face that, under normal circumstances, never opens. If you're within 5ft of a dead body you can see, you can click the top of the watch to be teleported to a depiction of the exact time and place that person died. Time is stopped at that moment. The watch face then opens, and counts down the 1min you have to explore the environment before returning to the real world. (From the perspective of the other PCs, no time passes after you click the watch.) This can only be done once per body.

The environmental storytelling this opened up was immense. See a long dead goblin in a cave? Click the watch, and see a soldier running him through with a longsword. Who was this soldier? Pick his pockets, try to find clues. Why was this soldier here? Run back out of the cave, see a small platoon running toward the cave, looking for shelter. Why were they running? Time's up.

jmax
2017-11-15, 06:49 AM
Shamelessly borrow this.

"The Morbid Pocketwatch" A gold pocketwatch with a faint skull inscription on its face that, under normal circumstances, never opens. If you're within 5ft of a dead body you can see, you can click the top of the watch to be teleported to a depiction of the exact time and place that person died. Time is stopped at that moment. The watch face then opens, and counts down the 1min you have to explore the environment before returning to the real world. (From the perspective of the other PCs, no time passes after you click the watch.) This can only be done once per body.

The environmental storytelling this opened up was immense. See a long dead goblin in a cave? Click the watch, and see a soldier running him through with a longsword. Who was this soldier? Pick his pockets, try to find clues. Why was this soldier here? Run back out of the cave, see a small platoon running toward the cave, looking for shelter. Why were they running? Time's up.

This is totally awesome! Is this conceptually borrowed from Sherlock Holmes? Or something more specific?

It would also give you enough seeds that you could likely get additional solid information with divination.

DeTess
2017-11-15, 08:16 AM
This is totally awesome! Is this conceptually borrowed from Sherlock Holmes? Or something more specific?

It would also give you enough seeds that you could likely get additional solid information with divination.

It's definitely not from Sherlock Holmes as far as I'm aware, as the books dealt mostly with mundane mystery, rather than the supernatural.

jmax
2017-11-15, 08:19 AM
It's definitely not from Sherlock Holmes as far as I'm aware, as the books dealt mostly with mundane mystery, rather than the supernatural.

Yeah, just wondering if it was an homage. The pocket watch was rather iconic as I recall.

kuhaica
2017-11-15, 11:18 AM
Yeah, just wondering if it was an homage. The pocket watch was rather iconic as I recall.

Unsure where its from. I found the idea while browsing the web. However I do plan on using it at one point just because my games tend to be more story focused.

Vaern
2017-11-16, 01:44 PM
Another alternative for Magic Slate - They could be made in pairs and could be used as the Sending spell once per day. Any written message of up to 25 words on one slate will, when activated, appear on the other, even if the paired slate is on another plane (though there is a 5%chance the message will not be received).
[Basically a written variation of Sending Stones, I guess. But still a thought.]

Rijan_Sai
2017-11-16, 03:08 PM
Another alternative for Magic Slate - They could be made in pairs and could be used as the Sending spell once per day. Any written message of up to 25 words on one slate will, when activated, appear on the other, even if the paired slate is on another plane (though there is a 5%chance the message will not be received).
[Basically a written variation of Sending Stones, I guess. But still a thought.]

That actuall sounds like a neat item!
Also reminds me of the Journey Books (http://sot.wikia.com/wiki/Journey_Book) from the Sword of Truth/Legend of the Seeker series ny Terry Goodkind! (Maybe that could be adapted into a higher level version of the slates?)

The Glyphstone
2017-11-16, 03:25 PM
if you close a portable hole from the inside, how do you get out without planeshifting magic? It has ceased to exist for regular reality.

jmax
2017-11-16, 09:38 PM

Despite the significant reduction in utility from requiring both sides to have one (relative to the spell, not the stones), I absolutely love this!

if you close a portable hole from the inside, how do you get out without planeshifting magic? It has ceased to exist for regular reality.

Simple - you just put it back where it was!

In all seriousness, it's actually a great question. Presumably it (or the universe) maintains some sort of state. Although I could see building a very silly class around using portable holes as gates :D

rel
2017-11-17, 01:28 AM
The way I look at it is as follows: A portable hole is two things

1) the extradimensional storage

and

2) the physical cloth portable hole object that can form a portal to the extradimensional storage.

when you pull the hole object into the extradimensional storage it remembers where it was last placed.
If you put the portable hole object against the internal surfaces of the extradimensional storage it re-establishes the last connection and the hole reopens where it was last closed.

Bohandas
2017-11-17, 01:35 PM
I think Leomund's Labile Locker is superior to the portable hole or bag of holding. It doesn't have the others' tendency to break and/or explode and/or implode

King of Nowhere
2017-11-17, 02:28 PM
A neat item that appeared in our campaign where I play a monk who, in the belief that suffering will make him strong, has crafted himself sandpaper pants

the fakir's belt
this is a pair of knickers with nails on the inside. it is generally worn loose, but can be tightened to activate a more powerful effect, as well as greater suffering. tigthening it is a free action. Loosening it is a full round action and requires a DC 14 will save.

passive effect:
- immunity to nausea
- damage reduction 2/- only against piercing damage
- +2 to CON checks to resist fatigue or suffocation
- -1 maximum hit point per hit dice

this effect takes place after resting with the belt on.

active effect (on tightening, replaces passive effect)
- immunity to nausea
- damage reduction 2/-
- +2 to CON checks to resist fatigue or suffocation
- +4 STR
- -2 CON
- you take 1d6 damage every round you move more than a 5-ft step, and 2d6 every round you run, charge or execute over complex movement actions.

My DM is quite fond of trying to kill the characters with double-edged items, and so far he's been more successful that way than with NPCs (there was a damaged cold axe that required a use magic device check to function properly; with a very low roll it damaged and slowed the wielder, and the player, after disarming it from an enemy, managed to roll four times consecutively below 5. We had to rescue him).
My monk relies a lot on trip and grapple (the party already has a fighter and a barbarian to deal more damage, I filled a niche as a disabler), so that +4 STR comes very handy. My monk also relies a lot on jumping and tumbling around the battlefield to reach the enemy boss(es) and keep them down while the rest of the party clear the mooks. Activating the belt is very tempting, but it can easily backfire. Making it easy to activate but difficult to remove underlines this risk.

Thurbane
2017-11-17, 03:07 PM
Gargoyle Statuette:

When this jug-like statuette is filled with 3hp worth of fresh blood, it grows and animates as a fiendish gargoyle (1/day for 20 rounds). It has a telepathic bond, maximum range 1 mile, with the person who supplied the blood and activated it, and serves as if called with a Summon Monster spell. If slain, it returns to statuette form.

http://i67.tinypic.com/eu4wma.jpg

jmax
2017-11-18, 07:08 AM
I think Leomund's Labile Locker is superior to the portable hole or bag of holding. It doesn't have the others' tendency to break and/or explode and/or implode

This page lists ten Greyhawk items it likes (http://greyhawkery.blogspot.com/2013/02/10-cool-greyhawk-magic-items.html) and then (much more importantly) references this conversion of all magic items from World of Greyhawk (http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan/conversions/WOG-MIC.pdf).

I found it looking for details on Leomund's Labile Locker.

Gargoyle Statuette:

When this jug-like statuette is filled with 3hp worth of fresh blood, it grows and animates as a fiendish gargoyle (1/day for 20 rounds). It has a telepathic bond, maximum range 1 mile, with the person who supplied the blood and activated it, and serves as if called with a Summon Monster spell. If slain, it returns to statuette form.

http://i67.tinypic.com/eu4wma.jpg

So do lower-hp characters get larger gargoyles? Presumably "3hp worth of fresh blood" means you take 3hp of damage and the blood goes into the gargoyle. For a 20th-level barbarian, that's going to be a tiny amount of blood. For a 1st-level wizard, that's going to be almost the entire contents of his blood stream. Neat idea though!

Vaern
2017-11-18, 12:54 PM
So do lower-hp characters get larger gargoyles? Presumably "3hp worth of fresh blood" means you take 3hp of damage and the blood goes into the gargoyle. For a 20th-level barbarian, that's going to be a tiny amount of blood. For a 1st-level wizard, that's going to be almost the entire contents of his blood stream. Neat idea though!
Giving it a couple points of constitution instead would make the cost more consistent across multiple classes.

jmax
2017-11-18, 12:55 PM
Giving it a couple points of constitution instead would make the cost more consistent across multiple classes.

Ouch - that had better be one heck of a gargoyle if you're taking Con damage.

Thurbane
2017-11-20, 03:58 PM
The HP thing was more there for flavour than anything.

I'm trying to think if any of my old 2E magic items (http://www.angelfire.com/games/thurbanesdomain/item01.htm) would be any good for conversion to 3.5?

ATHATH
2017-11-20, 08:27 PM
Goodnight Pillow
This linen pillow is embroidered with platinum threads that depict stars and a crescent. When a creature with less than 5 Hit Dice makes physical contact with this item, they must make a DC 11 Will save. If the creature fails, they instantly fall asleep, as if they were affected by the Sleep spell. If the creature maintains contact with the Goodnight Pillow for at least 1 minute, they may make another Will save to wake up for each minute of continuous contact.
Can I wield a pillow as a club (or maybe a sap?)?

Thurbane
2017-11-20, 09:07 PM
The Ugly Stick
This rod acts as a Light Mace +1. In addition, it has 50 charges: on a successful hit, the wielder can expend a charge as a swift action. The target must make a DC 16 will save of suffer 1d6 points of Charisma damage.

It always seemed strange to me that their wasnt some sort of shovel related necromancy.

...this reminds me:

Sexton's Spade
This masterwork digging tool is constructed with it's metal parts made of cold iron.
If used to excavate an occupied grave, the spade can animate the corpse in the grave as an Animate Dead spell.
If used to dig a new grave, it can bestow a Gentle Repose effect on the create laid to rest in the grave.
Finally, the spade can normally only be used as an improvised weapon, but against Undead hostile to the wielder, it acts as a Cold Iron +1 Bane (undead) Ghost Touch Halberd, except that it inflicts bludgeoning or slashing damage, instead of the usual piercing or slashing damage of a halberd.

Starbuck_II
2017-11-20, 09:55 PM
I submit
1) Sword of Bees

A dark shimmering blade with a black opal gem on the hilt. This short sword is quite sharp. It has the following characteristics:
• +1 weapon
• It emits a low buzzing, humming sound when used in combat.
• Any natural 19-20 attack roll causes a swarm of bees to swirl out of the weapon's blade, surrounding the struck foe. These bees cause no damage, but distract and blind the enemy, who suffers a -2 penalty on all actions, and a -2 fear save penalty for three rounds.
• Any natural 1 attack roll causes a swarm of bees to attack the wielder as above.
• Bees are glittering gold unless a fumble is rolled, in which case they are a sickly green.
Price: 5K

2) Silent Scales With a wordless smile he gifted the weaver of spells with a blade to cool the Lands, and bid he learn the value of silence.

Silent Scales: Forged from water-steel of a paticularly translucent nature, and marked with a pattern of overlapping reptilian scales just barely visible in torchlight, Silent Scales is an elegant blade of perfect symmetry. Its hilt is frosted steel tinged faintly peacock-green, with coiling tendrils for a hand-guard; and a single rosy pearl is mounted as a pommel-nut.

Silent Scales is a sword +1. Against creatures of desert or flame the sword inflicts as a +2 vs them, and so long as at least one such creature is killed by the blade each day its bearer is protected from the ravages of the desert and other such environments.

However, as long as Silent Scales is in its bearer's possession -- not merely actively worn or wielded -- its owner is rendered mute.

Price: 3800 gp

3) Prismatic Finality
This seems to be an ordinary warpike, made by dwarves. However, looking at it, you can see that there is absolutely no signs of it having been around for the time it has. It looks as clean as when it was originally made.

Prismatic Finality was a dwarven-crafted weapon, created by the Axima Clan, dwarves that lived in the most rugged, harsh volcanoes in the world. They had created this pike to enforce their rules, and to kill those that won't worthy of becoming a full member of the clan, since members weren't automatically part of the clan, to be accepted fully they have to pass many trials, part of which was loyalty to the law of the clan. However, the pike backfired, and was used by a lone Paladin to end their killings, ending up killing all members. That Paladin fell, and then went onwards, unbound from his good nature. He slew many corrupt rulers, and was finally killed 3 years after he started. A scholar found the pike, and realised that the pike gains power from it's powerful fallen owners.
Lawful characters count as automatically being proficient with this weapon, which is a +1 Axiomatic Dwarven Warpike. For Chaotic characters who wield it, it is just a Masterwork Dwarven Warpike. This weapon can be use by non-Chaotic wielders to create a wall of light 1/day, which acts a Prismatic Wall effect which only works of Chaotic characters. When a Lawful wielder over the level of one is killed, this weapon gains another +1 enhancement bonus, up to a maximum of +5. These bonuses last for 1 year before it reverts to +1.
Price: 8K - -2K + 12K +8K=26 K

4) Flaming Sight, Glaive:
This masterwork shimmering glaive, is not magical on appearance. But on Command, it can turn entirely to flame (instead of weapon damage, all damage is fire damage even strength bonus). However, it must kill before it can change back and forth each day. Each day it goes without causing a death by fire, the wielder make a DC 20 Fort save or takes 1 con damage.
Price: 4K gp

Vaern
2017-11-21, 03:18 PM
Based on a random item you can find in Planescape: Torment:

Biting Ring

Biting rings may be found in as many varieties as any regular ring, such as Protection or Feather Falling, and appear identical until worn.
When placed on a creature's finger, a biting ring sprouts razor-sharp barbs from the inside which dig into the subject's flesh and tightens, dealing 1d3 points of damage. The ring digs itself in so tightly that it can not be removed by normal means. Only a remove curse spell or the removal of the affected finger will cause the ring to release its grip.
Except as noted here, a biting ring functions identically to any other ring of the same type.

Braininthejar2
2017-11-21, 06:20 PM
This one actually comes from World of Darkness, rather than D&D, but it could be adapted. I don't have the original source, so describing it from memory.

A Coyote's bag.

This item looks much like a bag of tricks, or a component pouch. It can be used once a day to invoke the help of a wise but fickle Coyote spirit.

Activation: The user takes a small bone out of the bag, and concentrates for a round, then opens his hand to see what the bone has turned into. Make a hidden check to see if the item is beneficial (this can probably be affected by the character's wisdom, but in the end the Coyote is a trickster spirit) Depending on the roll, the resulting item might be one of the three things:
- a completely random item that won't be of any use, often something silly.
- an item that might get the user into trouble (such as a small item that the bag steals from an npc.) or creates some immediate inconvenience (like a lit cigar)
- the desired result: an item that doesn't seem to be of any immediate use, but may become plot-relevant if used at the right moment (such as a seemingly random key that will end up saving the party two rounds of hacking through a door)

Vaern
2017-11-23, 12:14 AM
Here's another one...
It is said that this trinket was created by an adventurer whose luck in the loot table was heavily weighted towards copper. He constantly sought to exchange coinage between quests, until one day an adventure brought him to a dragon's lair. After slaying the beast, he was so vexed by its hoard of 320,000 copper that he immediately set to work developing a way to make the mass of coinage more manageable.

Transmutative Wallet

Only the strange, intricate designs embossed on its leather betray that this is not an ordinary coin pouch.
When several coins of the same type are placed within a transmutative wallet, they are reduced to a single coin of greater value - though there is a bit of loss in the exchange. Eleven copper pieces become a single silver piece, eleven silver pieces become a single gold, and eleven gold becomes one platinum.