PDA

View Full Version : One class group

gryffydd65
2017-11-11, 10:43 PM
If you were to form an all the same class group, which class would you pick and why?

lunaticfringe
2017-11-11, 10:55 PM
Bards. Rock Tour Campaign with Scooby Doo/Jabberjaw shenanigans. You could even set up Rock Band or a similar game to simulate their performances and they gain renown in game If they do well.

Hyde
2017-11-11, 11:06 PM
The answer to this is always bards.

We actually did it, to. The Orc bard was the drummer.

Rusvul
2017-11-11, 11:08 PM
As much as I'd like to say Wizard, this is sadly the wrong edition for that. Bard would be best, I think, followed by Cleric and Druid. All three are full casters with viable melee options and at least some level of healing, buffing, and offensive magic. Honestly, an all Bard/Cleric/Druid party could very well be substantially more powerful than a more balanced party, as long as all players optimized properly and specialized in different areas.

Lonely Tylenol
2017-11-11, 11:31 PM
Warlock or Bard, 100%. The only question is whether you want to play lunaticfringe’s Rock Band suggestion, or have a 6-month competition to see who can be the biggest edgelord.

Citan
2017-11-13, 02:45 AM
If you were to form an all the same class group, which class would you pick and why?
First rank would be Paladins.

From start to finish, they are all a great balanced class, and their auras are extremely great. You would obviously be lacking in the spellcasting department, so you would have trouble in some cases, but otherwise nothing that can't be washed out with proper team building and feats:
DEX Sharpshooter Devotion Paladin: takes care of ranged creatures, supports with healing / buff spells.
DEX Crown Paladin with Shield Master and Tough: helps Vengeance and Ancients in melee.
STR GWM+Mobile Vengeance Paladin, the striker.
CHA PAM+Sentinel Ancients Paladin, uses Moonbeam and Plant Growth as needed.
And I forgot about the other Oaths and what they provide...
Build would adapt depending on number of Paladins: one of them at least should have Inspiring Leader, another Ritual Caster.

Second rank would be obviously Wizards.
Although a bit harder to survive at first levels, a group of 5 Wizards would become extremely powerful at mid-level already, and game-breaking past level 14.
Two reasons.
- First, they can all share spells learned when leveling: so even without any loot, with only 4 Wizards in a group each would get 8 levels learned by level, allowing the group as a whole to tackle an incredibly vast amount of situations.
- Second, there are several schools that can help Wizards fill in more "martialish" roles.
Perfect group could be Diviner (debuffer), Bladesinger (striker), Abjurer or War -from what I could read here- (tank), Necromancer or Conjurer (support).

Equal in rank although in a different way would be Druids: lots of available spells, great archetypes (especially with the new ones included), they would rely heavily on team tactics to survive due to overall low resilience but except when facing heavy groups of casters they should have an easy way winning fights. Compared to Wizard though, they would comparatively fall short in 3+ groups because of what I said above (+ Counterspell which they don't have AFAIR).

Equal in rank would be Bards: although they would certainly be far behind in spellcasting (even with Magic Secrets), just having a chance to cover each other's with short-rest Bardic Inspiration and taking rests as often as you like with Rope Trick / LTH to recharge them makes them badass. Plus the Expertise thingy. ;)

Third rank would be Sorcerers or Monks.
- Sorcerers have Metamagics for them, so with proper team building you can make several cross-twin buffs if needed, and as a whole you get plenty of good spells. And now that we have the all-broken Favored Soul official, you won't even be lacking healing or buff spells: include an Extended Favored Soul and you are golden.
- Monks would have a hard time for the first half, due to heavy lack of magic: one of them would definitely need to grab Healer and Ritual Caster. Once they survive up to 11th then 14th though, they could wreak havoc: I'm not familiar with the new Monk options yet, but just a 4E Monk, a Long Death and a Shadow or Open Hand would make a great, versatile team. ;)

Of course, all that ranking is completely biaised by...
- the fact I include difficulty to survive (only thing really that pushes Paladin above the others. If we were talking about "flat" high-level party Paladins would fall behind all casters: you can't beat Foresight and True Polymorph/Wish after all).
- my own personal preference (obviously): I think that as long as your party is at least 4-man wide, any class can make a solid group as long as feats are allowed to shore up some lacking fields. I just love some mechanics more than others. :)

X3r4ph
2017-11-13, 03:19 AM
Does Mystics count? Not many extra attacks, but all other shoes will be filled.

Arelai
2017-11-13, 03:20 AM
As far as effectiveness and coverage of party roles-cleric hands down. Knowledge cleric can handle your checks, war cleric front liner, life cleric primary healer, forge cleric tank, tempest blaster.

The great thing too-once you hit level 10 you'd have 4-6 chances for each divine intervention roll.(1 roll for each player)

Even better, you ALL could have spirit guardians going, and just WRECK anything that gets anywhere close to you all.

Cespenar
2017-11-13, 03:34 AM
I think Wizards may not be as smooth as it would be in 3.5e. There is a lot of tanking to be done in 5th, and Wizzies are nerfed very much in that regard.

Probably the easiest would be the Cleric or Druid party.

Rogue would be a fun campaign (though it could be the hardest when considering battles), while Fighter/Barb/Monk/Ranger would turn into a rollfest without the area damages and crowd control.

All partial casters should be fine, I guess.

Phoenix042
2017-11-13, 03:58 AM
As a challenge, I actually went and built a group of characters once that were all vuman battlemaster fighters, just for kicks. None of them dumped dex and they all picked up stealth; I called them my special forces squad, and i made lIke 8 different ones.

Almost any 4 of them in a party were surprisingly effective after a little playtesting; you don't miss AoE that much with that many attacks. And the focus fire power was ridiculous. Covered all major pillars too with background picks and secondary/tertiary stats. At least somewhat, though obviously pretty combat focused. And without short rests they ran out of steam fairly quick, but just about any group needs rests to remain powerful.

Basically just goes to show how versatile and powerful feats are.

lperkins2
2017-11-13, 04:29 AM
Did this once back in 3.5 with an all cleric party. Worked great, anyone take damage the next person in line could counter it. Seriously demoralizing for intelligent baddies. I'd do it again in 5e, but it wouldn't work quite as well since there isn't nearly as much variety in cleric domains. A party of all cleric2/somethingX would work well, especially if they all took life cleric and crossed with something with healing spells (bard, druid, ranger). The bonus to healing spells would be pretty powerful and could probably handle more than a standard adventuring day worth of critters every day.

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-13, 05:39 AM
Did this once back in 3.5 with an all cleric party. Worked great, anyone take damage the next person in line could counter it. Seriously demoralizing for intelligent baddies. I'd do it again in 5e, but it wouldn't work quite as well since there isn't nearly as much variety in cleric domains. A party of all cleric2/somethingX would work well, especially if they all took life cleric and crossed with something with healing spells (bard, druid, ranger). The bonus to healing spells would be pretty powerful and could probably handle more than a standard adventuring day worth of critters every day.

I rolled up some Cleric characters for fun, that coyld each slot in to a different niche the party might need. Arcana for an Arcane type caster, Trickery to be the more Roguish one, War or Tempest for some tanking potential. And of course Life so they could help keep everybody on their feet.

Never got to go anywhere with it, but it was a fun thought exercise. And practice in making characters that could work with most parties and/or campaigns.

Astofel
2017-11-13, 06:02 AM
A while ago my friends and I came up with the idea of playing a 'Dragonborn Cleric Power Rangers' party, where everyone plays a chromatic dragonborn cleric with a domain that matches their colour. It's not perfect, but I think we had:
Red = War
Blue = Tempest
Green = Nature
White = Light
Black = Trickery

Sadly we never got around to actually playing. Maybe someday.

Suicune
2017-11-13, 05:12 PM
Either Cleric or Bard.

Cleric has a lot of flexibility based on the domain they pick, what spells they’ve prepared, and the like. They’ve also got healing, which I think is basically a necessity for one-class parties.

Bard is much of the same, though they’re not as different class-wise. Since they’re the jack-of-all-trades class (down to the class feature), everyone can do everything decently enough. You’re not going to have any weaknesses, though I think a lack of specialization might be boring. Oh, and they can heal. Healing is good.

Burnteyes
2017-11-13, 05:17 PM
Cleric, Bard or Warlocks with a nifty tomb of rituals.

If you are forcing me to pick one to play in, there is money involved and we are going high level, I'm probably picking Bards.

Or Clerics.

But I'd want to play Warlocks.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-11-13, 05:22 PM
FIVE BARBARIANS.

ALL BERSERKERS.

REPLACE ALL WATER WITH ALE.

UNDER ALIGNMENT WRITE 'MURDERHOBO'.

SOLVE EVERY PROBLEM WITH VIOLENCE.

...think about it, this would be fun.

Dudewithknives
2017-11-13, 05:23 PM
5 ancestral guardian barbarians
5 bards, 1 Valor 1 bladed 2 lore 1 whatever.
5 divination wizards, nobody enemy ever gets to roll anything.

You could probably play with 5 of any class, just some might be a lot easier.

Kane0
2017-11-13, 05:33 PM
My group has tried:
All wizards (not as fun as we originally thought, raw damage is in short supply, slots disappear FAST and concentration can be crippling)
All warlocks (thoroughly recommend, enough class options to make everyone stand out)
All paladins (beer-and-pretzels at it's finest, your party is essentially a wreckingball until you run out of resources)
All rogues (fantastic in an intrigue or combat-as-war environment, enough subclasses for everyone to find a niche)