PDA

View Full Version : Help with a lvl 5 character

Zanthy1
2017-11-12, 09:05 AM
Hello!

I will be joining a campaign in progress that is at level 5. I will probably only be there for 1, possibly 2 sessions, so I do not anticipate leveling up, and at most leveling up to 6 max. I want to play something cool out of Xanathar's, but am also interested in anything really. What I want is some cool builds that'll work with this party composition (to follow) at level 5 within the restrictions of race.

PHB races (minus tiefling and gnome) and also the aarakocra are valid (would love to be the bird, but not restricted to it lol). Stats will be with determined by Point Buy.

The party has a paladin, a fighter, a cleric, and a wizard (I don't know their specific builds, just what class they are, and that they are level 5). The campaign (or at least so far) has the party hunting cultists in a city.

Let me know your ideas!

EDIT: I was also informed that I get a bonus 500 starting gold and 1 uncommon magic item (that requires DM approval), so let me know suggestions for that as well!

JMS
2017-11-12, 09:17 AM
Try a Celestial Pact warlock, who has made their pact to hunt cultists. Focus on Combat and Social, maybe Urban Bounty hunter from SCAG, and you uncover cultists hiding in plain sight

- Now I want to play this charecter

UnwiseAlistair
2017-11-12, 03:08 PM
I’d suggest a rogue, I don’t have xanathars, so I don’t know much about what the book has

ImproperJustice
2017-11-12, 05:50 PM
Monster Hunter with Cultists or Fiends as a favored enemy.

Gydian
2017-11-12, 07:55 PM
Level 5 Arcane Archer.
You are a ranged fighter that hits things with magic arrows twice per attack action. You have a vary good chance to hit, really vary good.
magic item: +2 bow if you can, or find a bow with something interesting going on.
probably wood elf but anything with a dex bonus will be optimal.

QuintonBeck
2017-11-12, 08:26 PM
Using the character creation tables provided in Xanathar's and some other randomizing resources to create the concept we have:

Huifang, a Variant Human, born in the poor end of town in an apartment shared with her mother and father. Despite her surroundings she lived a comfortable if mundane life. She was never satisfied with this lot however and left home to seek out the thieves' guild and adventure. On one of her first official missions as a member of the city thieves' guild she somehow stumbled into a portal to the Shadowfell where she was rescued by a monastic order and trained to protect herself against the forces of darkness.

The monastery was carved into the side of a chasm and loomed over a dangerous pass. Her master was a merciless disciplinarian and pushed her to her limits, nearly removing her eye during one especially brutal practice session. Eventually however, she began to take steps towards mastery of the way of the Kensei. Now she has returned to the material plane, following rumors of a cult that threatens to bring the shadows into this world...

So in summary: Variant Human Kensei Monk. Background: Criminal

Seems like she could fit in well as a skill monkey/striker given the current composition.