PDA

View Full Version : controlweathercontrolweathercontrolweather [spell]

Icewalker
2007-08-18, 04:52 AM
(NOTE: IDEA IS OOTS SPOILERS FOR A STRIP IN THE LATE 300s)

Bolt of Reckoning
Evocation (Electricity)
Level: Drd 9
Components: V, S, F, M, Xp
Area: 0-12 miles, 50ft diameter lightning, 100ft diameter fire, 15 mile diameter sonic
Range: 0-12 miles.
Duration: Lightning instantaneous, fire 4 rounds, sonic instantaneous: travels 1 miles/round.
Saving Throw: Lightning: Save or disintegration, doubled DC. Fire: none. Sonic: fortitude for deafness, reflex (object).
Spell Resistance: Yes (separate for lightning, fire, and sonic)

Bolt of Reckoning sends a massive lightning bolt 50 feet thick slamming into the ground 1d4 x 3 miles in a direction of the casters choice, after a percentile roll is made:

1-3%: lightning hits caster directly, 4-10%: lightning hits 50-100 feet in a random direction (d8) instead of the 1d4 x 3 miles distance.

This results in three effects:

The bolt instantly vaporizes anything hit by it, double DC fortitude save for 15d8 damage instead.

Second, in a 100 foot diameter from the center striking point, there is a blast wave of fire, dealing 1d6 damage per caster level, maximum 15d6.

Thirdly, a massive wave of sonic blasts out in a 15 mile diameter from the striking point, traveling one mile every round, if the lightning strikes 10 miles away, it will take 10 rounds before the wave hits the caster. The sonic wave permanently deafens anything with ears, unless a fortitude save is made. If the save is made, the subject is still deafened for 2d6 rounds. Permanent deafness can be cured by regeneration. The sonic wave also deals 1d6 damage per caster levels, maximum 15d6 to beings. Any crystalline or brittle object takes 1d10 damage per caster level, any other breakable object takes 1d8 hit points of damage per caster level.

Material Component: A tangible piece of something at least 1 cubic inch in size, that was killed by a bolt of natural lightning (not lightning bolt the spell, not a druids control weather, actual natural lightning).

Focus: A clearly visible (to the caster) body part (of the caster) burning steadily with non-magical fire. This fire deals 1 damage per round, and unless stopped in some way, will spread over the caster’s body, increasing in damage each of the 10 rounds of casting time. (Round one: 1 dmg. Round two: 1 dmg. Round three: 1d2 dmg. Round four: 1d3 dmg. Round five: 1d4 dmg. Round six: 1d6 dmg. Round seven: 1d6 dmg. Round eight: 1d8 dmg. Round nine: 1d8 dmg. Round ten: 1d8 dmg. This fire continues to burn for 1d8 damage every round afterwards until put out.)

Experience cost: 2000 xp

Just felt like writing it up as a spell. The fire focus seemed like an interesting idea, although perhaps too complex and confusing, and the xp cost is a total guess.

Thought it was a fun idea though.

:smallbiggrin:

Triaxx
2007-08-18, 06:36 AM
That is fantastic, and perfectly evil for an enemy druid. Dump one behind the encroaching PC's and blammo, no more opponents for a while.

Zeta Kai
2007-08-18, 08:38 AM
Nice spell, but the only person we saw actually cast something like this was a Cleric, not a Druid. For balance reasons, I can understand making it a 9th-level spell, but Clerics have to be able to do this, too. I suggest a very slight nerf, making it Cleric 9, Druid 8.

Ceres
2007-08-18, 09:44 AM
Nice spell, but the only person we saw actually cast something like this was a Cleric, not a Druid. For balance reasons, I can understand making it a 9th-level spell, but Clerics have to be able to do this, too. I suggest a very slight nerf, making it Cleric 9, Druid 8.

Or clerics of Thor and other thunder dieties could get it as a domain spell?

DanielLC
2007-08-18, 09:58 AM
You didn't mention the casting time in the top part. Catching on fire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#catchingOnFire) deals 1d6 damage. If it's a body part, rather than clothes or your hair like in this example, perhaps it should deal more.
Personally, I think you should use Fulgurite as either the focus or material component, or allow it to be used instead of something killed by lightning.
It seems kind of weird that you can make a save for something that instantly vaporizes anything it hits, but it isn't as bad as an umbral blot.

Peregrine
2007-08-19, 06:14 AM
It seems kind of weird that you can make a save for something that instantly vaporizes anything it hits, but it isn't as bad as an umbral blot.

Like disintegrate? :smalltongue:

I like this spell. I really, really like it. I have no idea if the damage values and ranges are balanced, I'd need to pull out some other spells and a book or two to check, but that checking (and maybe some tweaking of values) is all it needs to be perfect.

And as the 9th-level Thor domain spell? Yes please! (I mean, it's different enough that I'm not worried myself if Durkon couldn't really cast it. But then, he can't cast 9th-level spells yet -- we think -- and I do like the idea of him, or a cleric in the same mould as him, getting it eventually.)

Triaxx
2007-08-19, 07:42 AM
Perhaps domain seven? Seems to be fitting. A thor domain would fit having it there, and isn't resurrection 7? Durkon is supposed to be able to cast that.