PDA

View Full Version : DM Help trouble with Gods

liamkirkwood
2017-11-12, 04:30 PM
i am having difficulty finding any stats for dieties more specifically asmodeus where can one find such things, and also same goes for characters like Tiamat, lords of the nine hells etc.

on a side note if anyone has other useful information on the gods it would be much appreciated.

JackPhoenix
2017-11-12, 04:52 PM
Stats for fighting gods:

You lose

Seriously, gods don't have stats in 5e, Tiamat being the only exception, she (or more likely, her avatar) is in Rise of Tiamat. Few demon lords, including, but not limited to, Orcus, Demogorgon and Zuggtmoy, are in Out of the Abyss

stoutstien
2017-11-12, 04:53 PM
do you want gods/ deities in your game to be killable?

SiCK_Boy
2017-11-12, 04:56 PM
The Rise of Tiamat adventure has stats for Tiamat.

I don't think Asmodeus has received stats. You could always use some of the demon lords from Out of the Abyss as references or templates.

Generally speaking, since these beings are deity, you can give them any stat you want, and any fight with them should only be considered to be a fight with one of their avatar. They are gods, beings of incomprehensible cosmic power, and cannot simply be killed with sword and spells.

When you say you want "more information about the gods", can you be more specific? There are plenty of older editions products that include a lot of information about various religions and gods; but without knowing what exactly you are looking for, it is difficult to point you in one direction or another.

liamkirkwood
2017-11-12, 05:07 PM
When you say you want "more information about the gods", can you be more specific?
by this i mean lore, allies, archenemies
that kind of stuff

liamkirkwood
2017-11-12, 05:11 PM
i want them to be kill-able but very difficult such as you must search for this artifact from this plane just to be able to attempt to kill it and once that is done they have to fight the weakened god who is still very powerful

Naanomi
2017-11-12, 05:19 PM
The DMG splits 5e Gods into two categories... lesser Gods may be fightable (by top level parties prepared to do just that with appropriate equipment and artifacts) and thus may need stats (this is a very 1e/early 2e approach); and Greater Gods who cannot be meaningfully challenged by mortals outside of absolute GM fiat (a more late 2e/3.X approach)

Unoriginal
2017-11-12, 05:24 PM
i am having difficulty finding any stats for dieties more specifically asmodeus where can one find such things, and also same goes for characters like Tiamat, lords of the nine hells etc.

There are the stats for Tiamat in Rise of the Dragons, and the stats for a few Demon Lords in Out of the Abyss. That's all what WotC published so far.

on a side note if anyone has other useful information on the gods it would be much appreciated.

What's in the books is pretty much all we've got. There is the lore from older editions, but it doesn't fit at 100%. For ex: Asmodeus is different in 3.X, 4e and 5e.

Naanomi
2017-11-12, 05:28 PM
For ex: Asmodeus is different in 3.X, 4e and 5e.
Asmodeus is especially tough since so much what is ‘known’ about him is likely propaganda and lies to begin with

War_lord
2017-11-12, 05:31 PM
i want them to be kill-able but very difficult such as you must search for this artifact from this plane just to be able to attempt to kill it and once that is done they have to fight the weakened god who is still very powerful

A few of the adventures have stats of some lesser deities, they haven't published any stats for any "proper gods", and likely won't.

the_brazenburn
2017-11-13, 11:40 AM
As far as I know, the only semi-divine stats WotC has released are Tiamat (RoT), Demogorgon, Graz'zt, Orcus, Juiblex, Zuggtmoy, Baphomet, and Yeenoghu (OotA), and Imix, Olhydra, Ogrémoch, and Yan-C-Bin (PotA).

Naanomi
2017-11-13, 11:42 AM
As far as I know, the only semi-divine stats WotC has released are Tiamat (RoT), Demogorgon, Graz'zt, Orcus, Juiblex, Zuggtmoy, Baphomet, and Yeenoghu (OotA), and Imix, Olhydra, Ogrémoch, and Yan-C-Bin (PotA).
Only four of which (Tiamat, Juiblex, Orcus, and Yeenoghu) have ever actually been Gods

the_brazenburn
2017-11-13, 11:48 AM
Only four of which (Tiamat, Juiblex, Orcus, and Yeenoghu) have ever actually been Gods

True enough. I was only giving stats for beings that resemble gods in some way.

KorvinStarmast
2017-11-13, 11:51 AM
Stats are rather beside the point, as gods go. (YMMV) All above input considered.
(I have never really liked how Bahamut and Tiamat got morphed into gods from being the ultimate dragons .... but that's a personal opinion)