PDA

View Full Version : Advancing Factotum Casting with a Prestige class

Yogibear41
2017-11-12, 05:38 PM
Is it possible to advance a Factotum's casting ability with a prestige class that advances arcane spellcasting ability?

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-12, 08:59 PM
Is it possible to advance a Factotum's casting ability with a prestige class that advances arcane spellcasting ability?No, because factotum casting isn't actually spellcasting. It's a set of spell-like abilities, and to my knowledge, the only class that would advance it is legacy champion.

Yogibear41
2017-11-12, 11:53 PM
No, because factotum casting isn't actually spellcasting. It's a set of spell-like abilities, and to my knowledge, the only class that would advance it is legacy champion.

What about classes that advance Warlock/DFA casting, since they are SLAs as well?

Just playing Devil's advocate here.

Forrestfire
2017-11-13, 12:02 AM
Those ones do so because of a specific exception from Complete Arcane that applies only to invokers. There is no general rule.

Bakkan
2017-11-13, 12:04 AM
No, because factotum casting isn't actually spellcasting. It's a set of spell-like abilities, and to my knowledge, the only class that would advance it is legacy champion.

For completeness, Uncanny Trickster (Complete Scoundrel) would also advance factotum casting, but only for 2 of its 3 levels.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-13, 12:06 AM
Actually, illithid savant could, as well, though it's not so much advancing it as taking it from a preexisting factotum. The same could be said for a few monsters, such as the ethereal doppelganger.