PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Challenge Rating inquiry

Arkhios
2017-11-12, 08:00 PM
I made a creature based upon Undying Warlock with the Pact of the Blade (including spells from Xanathar's Guide to Everything), and I'd like to know its accurate Challenge Rating, but I haven't done the calculations in ages, so I could use some help.

You can find the stat-block in my Homebrewery, here (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1n0JIUkM) (note, Chrome works best!)

Talamare
2017-11-12, 08:06 PM
Dungeon Masters Guide?

Arkhios
2017-11-12, 08:08 PM
Dungeon Masters Guide?

Thank you, Captain Obvious! :smallannoyed:

Talamare
2017-11-12, 08:10 PM
Thank you, Captain Obvious! :smallannoyed:

I will also mention then that you wrote Death Saving Throw on it.
You should give it the ability to actually do Death Saving Throws.

PeteNutButter
2017-11-12, 08:12 PM
~CR 8. The level 12 NPCs in Volo's are all CR 7.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-11-12, 08:13 PM
Tough, but I believe CR 9. A double smite puts the damage so high that it would notch him up to a 10, but a single smite is a CR 8. Since he can't sustain double smites but it is a serious threat if/when he does it in one round, I'd include a single CR level bump to respect that power.

Math used- 20 AC, HP at 145 (included self-healing averages in the number), average damage on two hits and a single smite is 51, double smites is 78. I didn't bother calculating spell damage, as the melee damage has higher raw numbers.

Talamare
2017-11-12, 08:15 PM
Going roughly by Raw Stats, probably around CR5-7

Spellcasting can potentially add another 2-5 CR tho.

... Then again, a Lv5 Barbarian might just be able to Murder you

Cap'm Bubbles
2017-11-12, 08:38 PM
Presuming that your party's fight with this hing won't last longer than 4 rounds, it's offensive CR is 9, and defensive CR is approximately 9 when accounting for AC and the multiple self-healing abilities (that include death saves). Use of debuffing spells instead of pure damage may boost that a little higher, but this thing is most probably CR 9. It is, of course, not meant as a solo monster judging by your description of it. Keep in mind that Chill Touch may be more effective against some party members, especially those depending on healing, than a multiattack routine or smite.

Arkhios
2017-11-12, 08:39 PM
Thank you all!

In my defense I must say I wasn't aware if NPC's could make death saving throws or not, so I left Defy Death as it was. Made some small changes to the wording, but I might have to revisit later.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-11-12, 08:42 PM
Thank you all!

In my defense I must say I wasn't aware if NPC's could make death saving throws or not, so I left Defy Death as it was. Made some small changes to the wording, but I might have to revisit later.
Try making it behave like a zombie's chance to not die- give it a Con save equal to half the damage that put it under to pop right back up at 1 HP 3/day. I don't think it changes the CR metric enough to add anything, but could look cool in a fight.

Arkhios
2017-11-12, 08:50 PM
It is, of course, not meant as a solo monster judging by your description of it. Keep in mind that Chill Touch may be more effective against some party members, especially those depending on healing, than a multiattack routine or smite.

Indeed, there are a total of 13 of these guys, although the intent is not to fight all of them at once (but if players absolutely insist, it might still be a possibility).

Further info: they stand guard over a Tomb of a Dead God, and are sworn to protect it's sanctity from threats both inside and outside. The encounter is part of a bigger event, and there's a slight twist to them, which might turn the tide in the players' favor, despite their sheer numbers.

Arkhios
2017-11-13, 05:31 AM
Try making it behave like a zombie's chance to not die- give it a Con save equal to half the damage that put it under to pop right back up at 1 HP 3/day. I don't think it changes the CR metric enough to add anything, but could look cool in a fight.

Made some changes to the Undying Warden, if they change the CR in any way. For example, I decided to, instead of having two separate features to regain hit points, combine them into one feature.