PDA

View Full Version : Getting around Costly Material components

Yogibear41
2017-11-12, 11:49 PM
How many different ways are there to get around paying the costly material component of certain spells.

I know of the DweomerKeeper for turning spells into SU abilities, and the Tainted Sorcerer from UA that lets you take damage instead of paying for the cost material components for spells.

Are there any other ways to ignore the costs or to convert spells into SLAs/SU abilities?

ViperMagnum357
2017-11-13, 12:58 AM
You can take Ignore Material Components at Epic levels, assuming your DM does not ban it for breaking Forbiddance and True Resurrection. There is also burning XP via Vow of Poverty, though that is a specific, usually subpar build itself-and 1XP per 5 GP. You can also use the SLA ability of an Archmage-no XP spells, but you instead spend 10x the material cost in XP.

In any case, Stoneskin, Legend Lore, Forbiddance, Forcecage, Simulacrum, Contingency, and the various resurrection spells are the only spells with costly components most people actually use. There is that magic monocle for Identify, and once they have the money most people will want a permanent magic item for True Seeing.

Yogibear41
2017-11-13, 01:44 AM
Maybe I want to spam Forbiddance all over my base :smallsmile:

Or even better, all over THEIR base :belkar:

Gusmo
2017-11-13, 02:25 AM
The void disciple prestige class would allow oyu to temporarily get the ignore material components feat. The runesmith prestige class lets you turn a spell into an SLA.

Lazymancer
2017-11-13, 03:48 AM
Spell-to-Power Erudite can substitute expensive material components with power points.

Celestia
2017-11-13, 03:50 AM
Pay a sarrukh to give you the spell as an at will spell-like ability.

Boggartbae
2017-11-13, 04:16 AM
Being a necropolitan and spellstitching yourself is probably the best way.