PDA

View Full Version : So, how do I enchant 591 different weapons, on the cheap?

SangoProduction
2017-11-13, 06:16 AM
OK. I am needing to throw weapons. As the addage goes, "throwing your weapon is just a clever way to disarm yourself." But wait! I've got Quick Draw!

Also, no, I can't take use stuff that returns my weapons to me, because I need them to stick in the targets. (I'm using Spheres of Might's Lancer sphere.) No, they can't be ammunition. They must be real melee weapons (that I'm going to throw). Or at least, they have no not be able to break from use.

Allanimal
2017-11-13, 06:21 AM
Can you use shuriken? Because they are enchanted like ammunition, which will help some.

SangoProduction
2017-11-13, 06:25 AM
Can you use shuriken? Because they are enchanted like ammunition, which will help some.

Ah yes! My mind blanked on the second qualifier. They can't be ammunition. They must be real melee weapons (that I'm going to throw). Or at least, they have no not be able to break from use.

Telonius
2017-11-13, 06:26 AM
Shuriken is probably the easiest way - they count as thrown, and you can enchant 50 of them at a time like they were arrows. Otherwise, standard cost reduction tricks can help. Require the user to have your alignment and 5 ranks in a skill you have. (EDIT: Appropriately ninja'd on the shuriken)

dethkruzer
2017-11-13, 06:31 AM
A custom use-activated magic item of magic weapon or greater magic weapon with infinite daily uses. You'll also want a hardhat to protect yourself from thrown DMGs.

Eldan
2017-11-13, 06:33 AM
Do they actually have to be enchanted, and if yes, with what? Some specialty item of Magic Weapon is your best choice if you just need them to count as magic.

Eldariel
2017-11-13, 07:06 AM
Chain Spell + Greater Magic Weapon hits CL weapons per cast. Some CL buffing and lots of castings should do it.

Mordaedil
2017-11-13, 07:17 AM
Add returning to a weapon you enchant heavily and it'll be your best friend and you can continue to throw it.

Jack_Simth
2017-11-13, 07:41 AM
OK. I am needing to throw weapons. As the addage goes, "throwing your weapon is just a clever way to disarm yourself." But wait! I've got Quick Draw!

Also, no, I can't take use stuff that returns my weapons to me, because I need them to stick in the targets. (I'm using Spheres of Might's Lancer sphere.) No, they can't be ammunition. They must be real melee weapons (that I'm going to throw). Or at least, they have no not be able to break from use.

Can you get Blood Wind ported from 3.5?

Darrin
2017-11-13, 07:42 AM
How quickly can you get your hands on a pair of Gloves of Endless Javelins (7000 GP, MIC p. 194)?

Also, Tormtor School (Drow of the Underdark) could be fun. Negates all penalties when making melee attacks with javelins.

Talverin
2017-11-13, 08:20 AM
So, why 591 of them? That seems a large and arbitrary number.

I read over the Lancer Impale stuff, and one thing caught my attention about it.

"This impalement may be broken when you lose control of the weapon used for the attack (such as by being disarmed), or by the impaled creature making a combat maneuver check as a standard action with a DC equal to your CMD."

I don't see anything specifically in Ranged Impale that counteracts this, making it sound like it perhaps only applies to weapons like whips, which count as ranged attacks, without leaving your possession?

Otherwise, I'd say just buy a ton of regular ol' daggers. Why do they need to be magic? Any effectual level of magic is going to be prohibitively expensive.

SangoProduction
2017-11-13, 08:32 AM

I read over the Lancer Impale stuff, and one thing caught my attention about it.

"This impalement may be broken when you lose control of the weapon used for the attack (such as by being disarmed), or by the impaled creature making a combat maneuver check as a standard action with a DC equal to your CMD."

I don't see anything specifically in Ranged Impale that counteracts this, making it sound like it perhaps only applies to weapons like whips, which count as ranged attacks, without leaving your possession?

Otherwise, I'd say just buy a ton of regular ol' daggers. Why do they need to be magic? Any effectual level of magic is going to be prohibitively expensive.

It says this later in the paragraph.

If a creature is impaled by a weapon that is not controlled by another creature, they are able to move, but all movement speeds they possess are reduced by 1/2 (minimum 5 ft.).
This implies that "impalement" is purely related to being able to move. But "impaled" can still be applicable, even if no one controls the weapon.
Presumably they can also pull out the uncontrolled weapon as a move action, effectively becoming the controller But by RAW, I don't think the rules allow them without the sphere.

Also. I am rather shocked that you think it's going to be prohibitively expensive. It's almost as though I made a thread about getting around that problem.

A custom use-activated magic item of magic weapon or greater magic weapon with infinite daily uses. You'll also want a hardhat to protect yourself from thrown DMGs.
This can work.

Chain Spell + Greater Magic Weapon hits CL weapons per cast. Some CL buffing and lots of castings should do it.
This is slightly less cheesy. Yeah. It can work, with some sort of magic item.

Add returning to a weapon you enchant heavily and it'll be your best friend and you can continue to throw it.
OP.

How quickly can you get your hands on a pair of Gloves of Endless Javelins (7000 GP, MIC p. 194)?
They disappear. Again, in the OP, I say I needed them to stay in the enemy.

Can you get Blood Wind ported from 3.5?
It's debatable whether this creates a "can impale enemies" effect.

lbuttitta
2017-11-13, 08:35 AM
Ah yes! My mind blanked on the second qualifier. They can't be ammunition. They must be real melee weapons (that I'm going to throw). Or at least, they have no not be able to break from use.
When you say "second qualifier", are you referring to the morphing enhancement?

SangoProduction
2017-11-13, 08:41 AM
When you say "second qualifier", are you referring to the morphing enhancement?

Not unless you can get it to shift, after you've launched the morphing ammunition. Even if it could be applied to ammo (and become not ammo so it doesn't break).

Westhart
2017-11-13, 09:03 AM
If homebrew is on the table rferries had an enchanted feat that gives your weapons and natural attacks an enhancemnt bonus of 1/4 your leel I think.... If not, chain GMW/MW or a continuous item are the ones I can think of off the top of my head... Even with standard reductions it would still be pricey due to the pure number of them...

ShurikVch
2017-11-13, 09:11 AM
Magic of Eberron have Magic Weapon, Legion's (Cleric 2, Paladin 2, Sorcerer/Wizard 2) and Magic Weapon, Greater Legion's (Cleric 6, Sorcerer/Wizard 5); they're work like Magic Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicWeapon.htm) and Magic Weapon, Greater (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicWeaponGreater.htm), but affect all weapons held by your allies in 20' burst

Wartex1
2017-11-13, 09:39 AM
All the tricks I can think of won't work for impalement since the weapon returns immediately. (Returning, Blinkback Belt, Dagger of Doubling, etc.)

However, a Called enchantment should work, provided someone doesn't run off with your weapon, since it's max range is 100 feet, though it eats up a swift action per weapon.

Goaty14
2017-11-13, 09:41 AM
Magic of Eberron have Magic Weapon, Legion's (Cleric 2, Paladin 2, Sorcerer/Wizard 2) and Magic Weapon, Greater Legion's (Cleric 6, Sorcerer/Wizard 5); they're work like Magic Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicWeapon.htm) and Magic Weapon, Greater (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicWeaponGreater.htm), but affect all weapons held by your allies in 20' burst

Great! Now find some druids with octopus animal companions which count as allies...

daremetoidareyo
2017-11-13, 09:45 AM

With a strength check, harpoons become awesome in this sense:smallcool:

Wartex1
2017-11-13, 09:51 AM
Great! Now find some druids with octopus animal companions which count as allies...

Well, if he's using Spheres of Might, he can use the Beastmastery Sphere and gain a bunch of animal allies. With the right talents, if he can find HD 1 Land Octopuses (fight me, it's Greek in origin, not Latin), he can recruit up to one hundred of them. So, 800 weapons.

Or he could go with a Soaring Blade Armorist (Spheres of Power) and hope his GM lets him use Impalement with that.

ShurikVch
2017-11-13, 10:07 AM
Great! Now find some druids with octopus animal companions which count as allies...:smallbiggrin:

Notes:
You're your own ally
RAW says "held", not "wielded"; if ally held crate or basket, then he also "held" all of it's content... :smallwink:

SangoProduction
2017-11-13, 10:58 AM
:smallbiggrin:

Notes:
You're your own ally
RAW says "held", not "wielded"; if ally held crate or basket, then he also "held" all of it's content... :smallwink:

Yeah. Essentially. The duration is a bit troublesome though.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-13, 02:07 PM
Heavily enhance one weapon and use this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?246396-Another-Addition-To-The-Tippyverse) to clone it?

Do they actually have to be enchanted, and if yes, with what?Objects are immune to mind-affecting effects.

stack
2017-11-13, 02:27 PM
I assume taking armiger levels for free effective enhancement isn't an option? Armorist using summoned equipment also works. You didn't specify a build, but seems likely you already have a class selected. Blacksmith to fix the broken thrown weapons so you don't need quite as many.

Enhancement sphere + mass enhancement. Basic and advanced magic training feats, though you will be pretty limited on uses per day and have slow scaling if not a caster.

CharonsHelper
2017-11-13, 03:05 PM
How about just using durable arrows?

If they still need to be melee weapons to make the ability work (I didn't look it up) there are multiple ways to make arrows count as melee weapons for your character.

EldritchWeaver
2017-11-13, 03:09 PM
Have you looked at Creation HB's (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kitAB8sHgmuD3fvOMuI_KyV_dxpO2wrxQmbnCoRgglA/edit?ts=597e3d00#) Replication talent and Enhanced Creation feat? Not sure though, if you get that many items out of it with a single casting, but if you take Creation Mastery as well, you don't even need to be a full Creation caster. Admittedly, you'll need to take a level of Incanter to ease the number of feats you spend otherwise.

Boggartbae
2017-11-13, 06:50 PM
The Book of Vile Darkness has sacrifice rules that reward you with dark craft gold pieces. It's essentially a magical pool of gold pieces that can only be used on item crafting and turns anything you make evil.

you set a DC and make a knowledge (religion) check in which you kill a creature. If you beat your DC, then you get a number of dark craft gold pieces equal to the DCx5, and you can do this multiple times, to gather a huge pool of crafting resources.

The thing is is that there are a bunch of little things you can do to get bonuses on your knowledge (religion) check, and there are two feats, on in PF and one in 3.5, which give you a flat +4 bonus to your check, so you can set a really high DC and get a ton of crafting gold each time.

If you can't create magic weapons, then tell someone in your party, who can create magic weapons, to do this, and you'll have a bunch of crafting super cheap.

SangoProduction
2017-11-15, 01:04 AM
How about just using durable arrows?

If they still need to be melee weapons to make the ability work (I didn't look it up) there are multiple ways to make arrows count as melee weapons for your character.

That looks like a viable option.

Endarire
2017-11-15, 03:13 AM
What about using a Boon Trap (Dungeonscape) with the desired buff spells on it? You could theoretically use it at will.

Shalist
2017-11-15, 03:33 AM
That looks like a viable option.

Worth mentioning:

Quiver of Energy (CP 114; 15,750) Charge non-magical bolts/arrows with an energy type (+1d6) "until they're used in an attack," however long that might be.
Quiver of Etherealness (CP 115; 15,750) Adds the ‘ghost touch’ property to arrows/bolts (even if already magical), same duration as above.

Zsaber0
2017-11-15, 03:47 AM
Since you are going to be using Spheres of Might I have 2/3 recommendations for you. Use the Ceaseless Ammo talent under the Barrage Sphere, combined with Sword Shooter from the Equipment Sphere. In my mind this is the best and funniest option.

SangoProduction
2017-11-15, 03:49 AM
Since you are going to be using Spheres of Might I have 2/3 recommendations for you. Use the Ceaseless Ammo talent under the Barrage Sphere, combined with Sword Shooter from the Equipment Sphere. In my mind this is the best and funniest option.
It specifies nonmagical.

Wartex1
2017-11-15, 07:55 AM
It specifies nonmagical.

Just fire it while within an antimagic field

SangoProduction
2017-11-15, 12:15 PM
OK. Found a solution! Rather similar to that guy's suggestion about homebrew. But this is a published book, and using the same system I'm already using!

Barroom has a sphere called Magic in the Spirits.

Magic in the Spirits

Prerequisite: Barroom sphere, base attack bonus +4.

So long as you have the drunk status, any weapon you wield gains a +1 enhancement bonus per 4 base attack bonus you possess (maximum: +5). This does not stack with any enhancement bonus the weapon might already possess. This is a supernatural effect.

Unfortunately, it could be read that as soon as you let go of it, it loses its enhancement bonus.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-11-15, 01:14 PM
Isn't there a glove of infinite +1 daggers? I believe there's an infinijavelin +1 item you can get, too.

stack
2017-11-15, 01:34 PM
OK. Found a solution! Rather similar to that guy's suggestion about homebrew. But this is a published book, and using the same system I'm already using!

Barroom has a sphere called Magic in the Spirits.

Unfortunately, it could be read that as soon as you let go of it, it loses its enhancement bonus.

Errata is wrapping up real soon, so if in doubt post in the other thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?520046-Drop-Dead-Studios-Spheres-of-Might-Open-Playtest).

(Nevermind, I just brought it up on the private dev chat, will get an answer)

khadgar567
2017-11-16, 05:24 AM
you know there is two spheres called creation and enchantment on a book known as spheres of power where you can create 500 or more spears at minimum cost of 6 seconds with no material so the build you want looks like
any sphere class
1 creation sphere and lancer sphere
2 change material ( optional), enchantment sphere
3 ranged impale
4 unlimited gea bolg works

noob
2017-11-16, 05:32 AM
The problem is how you can murder everything in range by creating said spears above the opponents.
Basically try to avoid creation spheres shenanigans unless you like to kill all your opponents with a single action a number of times per day equal to your level + your casting stat modifier.

khadgar567
2017-11-16, 06:25 AM
The problem is how you can murder everything in range by creating said spears above the opponents.
Basically try to avoid creation spheres shenanigans unless you like to kill all your opponents with a single action a number of times per day equal to your level + your casting stat modifier.
OP asked how to enchant legion of spears and i gave the way. oh and neither creation nor enchantment has per day limit on their core abilities so all day spear rain is legal only problem is at that level how much spear you can create in single casting of unlimited spear works( base creation ability

noob
2017-11-16, 06:38 AM
OP asked how to enchant legion of spears and i gave the way. oh and neither creation nor enchantment has per day limit on their core abilities so all day spear rain is legal only problem is at that level how much spear you can create in single casting of unlimited spear works( base creation ability

There is a limit:creating stuff costs a spell point

Create [Core]
As a standard action, you may spend a spell point to create a non-magical, unattended object out of vegetable matter such as wood, hemp, or cotton in either your hand or an adjacent square. The object may be of equivalent size to one Small object per caster level (see chart below) and lasts as long as you continue to concentrate, to a maximum of 1 minute per caster level.

You see you need to spend a spell point to create stuff.

khadgar567
2017-11-16, 08:38 AM
There is a limit:creating stuff costs a spell point

You see you need to spend a spell point to create stuff.
Sorry my bad then

SangoProduction
2017-11-16, 09:06 AM
you know there is two spheres called creation and enchantment on a book known as spheres of power where you can create 500 or more spears at minimum cost of 6 seconds with no material so the build you want looks like
any sphere class
1 creation sphere and lancer sphere
2 change material ( optional), enchantment sphere
3 ranged impale
4 unlimited gea bolg works

Haven't looked in to it, but if I remember correctly, enchantment and creation spheres scale on caster level. Could be an interesting way to go about things.

stack
2017-11-16, 09:45 AM
Divided creation is hardly unlimited. You can make say 64 small objects with larger creation, divided creation, and CL32 (non-trivial). Costs 2 SP. Each gets reduced by DR separately and your DM will likely rule there is a limit to how many can strike a given square.

Dropping things with creation doesn't count as an attack action, so impale doesn't work with a mass weapon rain. Which is sad, but good for balance I expect.

For just creating thrown weapons, you can make a pile with creation. You will want lengthened creation, so at least 2 SP per casting. Enhancement, mass enhancement, plus getting minute/level (10 minute/level with another talent) will cost another 2 SP. Mass enhancement only hits 1+cl/2 targets.

Looking at 3 creation talents and at least 2 enhancement talents plus 2 SP to get it going this way. You get some economy by making more weapons that you can enhance in one casting, then casting the mass enhances separately, making it 2 SP + 2 x number of mass enhances). This makes larger creation (+1 SP) more attractive also.

Will also wantquick draw. And two rounds of casting (or quicken, which is prohibitively expensive). It works, but it requires a non-trivial investment.

khadgar567
2017-11-16, 09:55 AM
@stack would you guys please publish a cap for how much regular weapons count and give solid examples to each weight category for creation sphere so we have solid rules to rain weapons to our enemies. And for can not attack with dropped weapons bit i think we can brew a small fix in one or two hours

stack
2017-11-16, 10:20 AM
@stack would you guys please publish a cap for how much regular weapons count and give solid examples to each weight category for creation sphere so we have solid rules to rain weapons to our enemies. And for can not attack with dropped weapons bit i think we can brew a small fix in one or two hours

The Telekinetic's Handbook included a table with solid guidelines. You can find it on the wiki (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/telekinesis)as well, just scroll down past the talents to Table: Weapon Sizes.

As for attack actions with dropped weapons, while cool, I think it would incur way too many balance problems to be something to actually allow in a game.

noob
2017-11-16, 10:27 AM
Divided creation is hardly unlimited. You can make say 64 small objects with larger creation, divided creation, and CL32 (non-trivial). Costs 2 SP. Each gets reduced by DR separately and your DM will likely rule there is a limit to how many can strike a given square.

Dropping things with creation doesn't count as an attack action, so impale doesn't work with a mass weapon rain. Which is sad, but good for balance I expect.

For just creating thrown weapons, you can make a pile with creation. You will want lengthened creation, so at least 2 SP per casting. Enhancement, mass enhancement, plus getting minute/level (10 minute/level with another talent) will cost another 2 SP. Mass enhancement only hits 1+cl/2 targets.

Looking at 3 creation talents and at least 2 enhancement talents plus 2 SP to get it going this way. You get some economy by making more weapons that you can enhance in one casting, then casting the mass enhances separately, making it 2 SP + 2 x number of mass enhances). This makes larger creation (+1 SP) more attractive also.

Will also wantquick draw. And two rounds of casting (or quicken, which is prohibitively expensive). It works, but it requires a non-trivial investment.

well divided creation says

Divided Creation [Core]
When creating an object, you may create multiple objects within range. Each created object must be of the same general type (suits of armor, wall sections, catapults, etc.), and the object’s total size cannot exceed your maximum creation size. Alternately, you may create a single ‘object’ that would normally consist of a multitude of parts (i.e., if creating a tavern with this talent, it would appear with chairs, beds, barrels, etc.).

Which can be interpreted as "the group of objects must have a smaller size than what you can create in one single object through regular use of creation" in which case you would summon hundreds of swords with low caster level as you can fit hundreds of swords in a cubic meter.(which is smaller than medium size)

64 small cubes glued to each other is not one colossal+ cube.
For making a colossal cube out of small cubes you need 262144 small cubes.
Basically you can not say "64 small cubes is as big as one colossal+ cube": it is way smaller: it have the size of a large cube(as in: if you glue them together for making a cube you obtain a large sized cube).
If you say 64 small cubes is as big as a colossal+ cube then it means that the adventurers can make colossal+ cubes that fits within large cubes.

Gruftzwerg
2017-11-16, 12:43 PM
Can't you fit in a single lvl dip into Bloodstorm Blade?
He gets trow anything for free and you can choose to not activate the returning ability. a single lvl will save you tons of gold ;)

khadgar567
2017-11-16, 01:29 PM
Can't you fit in a single lvl dip into Bloodstorm Blade?
He gets trow anything for free and you can choose to not activate the returning ability. a single lvl will save you tons of gold ;)
buddy we already solved mass profit problem while ago around level one so moolah isn't problem any more