PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Item Crafting and Common Magic Items?

Unoriginal
2017-11-13, 07:06 AM
So, given how... divise the UA on Item Crafting, especially Magic Item Crafting, was, I'm curious what you guys think of the version present in the Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

On a different but related topic, what do you think of the Common Magic Items from the same book. Personally, I love them. My favorite so far is probably the Hat of Wizardry.

Meta
2017-11-13, 07:19 AM
So, given how... divise the UA on Item Crafting, especially Magic Item Crafting, was, I'm curious what you guys think of the version present in the Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

On a different but related topic, what do you think of the Common Magic Items from the same book. Personally, I love them. My favorite so far is probably the Hat of Wizardry.

By RAW, magic item crafting can't really cause too much trouble at your table unless the DM permits it to. The recipes and rare items required are entirely in DM hands. A player can make scrolls or potions without any special materials, but those are unlikely to 'break' a chain of combats like a permanent magic item could.

It looks like a player could start to make some decent gold making and selling healing potions and scribing 6th level spell scrolls, but it would take weeks. Presumably other events in the game world would prevent this from becoming a major issue.

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-13, 07:33 AM

I informed the DM of the game I'm in of the Cloak/Cape of Billowing, she was reminded of an Awkward Zombie comic, and generally seemed to like the idea.
I wouldn't be surprised, or mind, if we managed to get one for all 3 members of the party relatively soon.

Willie the Duck
2017-11-13, 08:12 AM
I like that something is there for magic item crafting. This is a nice little thing to point to when people complain about the basic 5e system (which was pretty much "here are some rules that will ensure you will never craft serious magic items"). It's basically the same pre-3e status quo -- Monty Haul DMs will let the PCs run away with the game, and 'Get back in the Dungeon' DMs will make crafting not worth the effort -- but the control is in the DMs hands. So it's roughly where I like it. As to the specifics, I'll have to try them out some more before I have an opinion.

As to the Common Magic Items-- I like them, but we need a chapter of these, not a few pages. Things to award players that don't radically change the outcomes of the game, but still feel like a reward (especially to the people who just can't figure out what to do with money)--perfect, now where's some more?

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-13, 09:37 AM
Well, from what I've heard, these 50 or so were put together in about 4 days' time.
And honestly, they kinda feel like premade ones a creative DM would think of when glancing at the Minor Property table in the DMG. Near about page 193, I believe.