PDA

View Full Version : Forge cleric, Shepard druid, or celestial warlock?

Dankus Memakus
2017-11-13, 10:00 AM
Okay so our new party has a zealot barbarian and I want to be a healer to ensure i can bring him back from the dead. So i have three ideas
Dwarf forge cleric (very stereotypical yes but a solid option)
Human (feat) Shepard druid built like a shaman
Human (feat) celestial warlock (chain) flavored as following an angel of death

I like all three options, all for various reasons.
The forge cleric because of the crafting element (crafting is my jam) plus the mighty cleric chassis
The Shepard because I've wanted to play a more shaman like character forever and the spirits flavoring really scratches that itch
The celestial warlock because it's my favorite class with healing magic (my favorite magic) plus that shadow blade spell which looks epic.

So i have turned to the wise members of this community to ask a simple question. Can anyone please convince me on what I should play?

nickl_2000
2017-11-13, 10:07 AM
Depending on the level of your adventure, I would probably skip the Druid. Their bring back to life spells are limits at the early levels since they don't get revivify. They do get reincarnation, which can be fun, but could annoy your teammates. Celestial Warlock only gives revivify, which should be enough to bring anyone back. However, if people stay dead longer than a certain amount of time, you are hosed (well they are...). I could say Forge Cleric would be best, so you can wade in there with the Barbarian as a tank, keep the squishies safe, and you can cast all bring back from the dead spells as necessary.

As it comes down to it though, all options work, and it sounds like you have wanted to do the Druid the longest, so go with that one.

Dankus Memakus
2017-11-13, 10:13 AM
Depending on the level of your adventure, I would probably skip the Druid. Their bring back to life spells are limits at the early levels since they don't get revivify. They do get reincarnation, which can be fun, but could annoy your teammates. Celestial Warlock only gives revivify, which should be enough to bring anyone back. However, if people stay dead longer than a certain amount of time, you are hosed (well they are...). I could say Forge Cleric would be best, so you can wade in there with the Barbarian as a tank, keep the squishies safe, and you can cast all bring back from the dead spells as necessary.

As it comes down to it though, all options work, and it sounds like you have wanted to do the Druid the longest, so go with that one.

Ill be honest i have an equal love for all options. So although I've wanted to play a druid we will be starting at low level the forge cleric is then a better choice.

nickl_2000
2017-11-13, 10:19 AM
Ill be honest i have an equal love for all options. So although I've wanted to play a druid we will be starting at low level the forge cleric is then a better choice.

I guess it's a matter of how often people die in your campaigns.

Druids get Reincarnate at level 5, and True Resurrection at level 9
Celestial Warlock gets revivify at Level 3
Clerics get revivify at level 3, Raise Dead at level 5, Resurrection at level 7, and True Resurrection at level 9.
Note Bards also get Raise Dead, Resurrection, and True Resurrection

A Forge cleric will certainly give you more versatility in bringing back someone from the dead. Still, do people die that much? Also, are you dealing with the death curse in your campaign? Does your DM hate summons? What other classes are being played in your campaign, that really could make a difference?

Arkhios
2017-11-13, 10:22 AM
Shepherd! *Grumble, grumble, grumble*

Dankus Memakus
2017-11-13, 10:22 AM
I guess it's a matter of how often people die in your campaigns.

Druids get Reincarnate at level 5, and True Resurrection at level 9
Celestial Warlock gets revivify at Level 3
Clerics get revivify at level 3, Raise Dead at level 5, Resurrection at level 7, and True Resurrection at level 9.
Note Bards also get Raise Dead, Resurrection, and True Resurrection

A Forge cleric will certainly give you more versatility in bringing back someone from the dead. Still, do people die that much? Also, are you dealing with the death curse in your campaign? Does your DM hate summons? What other classes are being played in your campaign, that really could make a difference?

So far all I know is we have a zealot. And i assume he will be VERY reckless since death isn't really the end for him. I know that class can be very powerful with an ally behind his back

nickl_2000
2017-11-13, 10:28 AM
So far all I know is we have a zealot. And i assume he will be VERY reckless since death isn't really the end for him. I know that class can be very powerful with an ally behind his back

You will get allies close to the Barb with either Druid (summoning) or Forge Cleric (one of the better tanks in the game). So give that's the case, roll up a Forge Cleric, see how it goes and see if you like the way it's turning out. I don't think you will be hurt with it.

Marvnmartian
2017-11-13, 10:38 AM
Im hesitant in suggesting Shepherd because that class as well as any conjuration class is very dm dependent. But if your dm is cool with you choosing the animals you summon then it will be superior to the others as 8 wolves for pack tactics 8 giant owls (that have 13 str so 390 pounds) for out of combat or in combat flight as well as scouting since you can talk to them as a shepherd, 8 flight spells for a 1 level 3 spell? yes thank you.

Being a shepherd will upset the action economy because if you play it correctly you can with owls anyway do flyby scoop up of any unconscious ally have them flown the 100 feet of dash speed of a owl and be in safety waiting for a heal or to roll their death saves. also their level 14 ability has been the most over powered thing I have came across in a long time, as it happens when the character comes unconscious its not to big of a problem all the time but if you want the biggest save your ass button this is the class feature for you. at least in the one time its come up on the druids turn after he went unconscious he activated this abilty summoned 4 polar bears all of which surrounded the dragon that knocked the druid down then multiattacked for 4 bites and 4 claw attacks and since i run with flank rules all had advantage all hit and the dragon took like 100 damage and was enough to bring him down. was nuts

The warlock sad to say is also dm dependent but more so in how many short rests your party gets during an adventure, since those d6 healing dice you get will either be used as single d6s to pop someone up or as alot at once to bring someone up to where they can survive another attack. and that means you will run out of those quickly and 2 spells is enough imo for 1 maybe 2 encounters if you can stretch it.

The forge cleric is cool and all getting resistances and immunity's as you level but the whole making weapons thing for the cost of the weapon has only proves useful in one instance in my game.. and sadly its to make the fighter more arrows... I mean if you could make weapons and armor for half the price of the item you get to add some economical opportunity it would be nice but as it stands its a a little lack luster in actual play

Dankus Memakus
2017-11-13, 10:46 AM
The forge cleric is cool and all getting resistances and immunity's as you level but the whole making weapons thing for the cost of the weapon has only proves useful in one instance in my game.. and sadly its to make the fighter more arrows... I mean if you could make weapons and armor for half the price of the item you get to add some economical opportunity it would be nice but as it stands its a a little lack luster in actual play
Off topic but you could attempt to bless the weapons and sell them for more plus on our world the value of items is upped when being sold by 10 and vise versa so you could make a tiny profit on them.