PDA

View Full Version : Elven accuracy archer

Spacehamster
2017-11-13, 11:21 AM
What build would the playground suggest for making the most out of elven accuracy with either a longbow or heavy crossbow?
5 of hunter ranger, 4 champion fighter and rest assassin sounds pretty good but not sure, want a stealthy character with great first round of combat.

6 champ, 4 hunter, 10 assassin would also be nice for 6 ASI/feats. With level progression 6 champ, 3 assassin, 4 hunter then finish off assassin. ASI/feats in order: elven accuracy, alert, sharpshooter, mobile, + 2 DEX and crossbow expert or lucky or +2 CON as the last one.

Using longbow or h crossbow frees up bonus action for cunning action dash or moving hunters mark around and slightly bigger dice for crit fishing.

TheUser
2017-11-13, 11:33 AM
It's important to remember that taking Elven Accuracy carries the opportunity cost of not taking Sharpshooter early. Since you are limiting yourself to bows...for some reason....(eldritch blast loves this feat). You'll also want to be able to get advantage consistently.

This translates to Rogue pretty heavily. Creatures with multiple arrow attacks will have trouble consistently getting advantage on multiple bow attacks, where as a Rogue will attack once and then bonus action hide to get advantage again.

Wood Elf Rogue of any kind will be able to hind very consistently in the outdoors thanks to racial bonuses.

LeonBH
2017-11-13, 11:34 AM
Pact of the Blade Hexblade. The Pact of the Blade will let you wield a long bow at level 3 (in the mean time, you'll have to use a regular bow). They crit on a 19, have hex, and use Charisma instead of Dex or Str for their to-hit and damage bonuses.

Take Sharpshooter, obviously, to really double down on that Elven Accuracy perk.

If you want good nova damage, going Sorcerer (wild mage or divine soul) could help you. Wild Mage has Tides of Chaos, a reliable way of getting advantage to one attack. Divine soul can give you +2d4 to a failed attack roll, which virtually guarantees you will always land your first hit.

Get Quicken Spell so you can quicken cast Fireball/Lightning Bolt with your Sorcerer stuff. Empowered Spell will make sure you never cast below average damage.

Spacehamster
2017-11-13, 11:38 AM
Bows are thematic for an archer while lazor blasts and selling your soul does not, it’s a rp choice and not a optimization choice, well rather an optimization question with bows/crossbows as focus.

The build I proposed will have advantage on first round most of the time(high DEX and alert feat + assassinate), and goes well with big opener followed by good damage rest of combat(ss, sneak attack die) so don’t see the problem?

Spacehamster
2017-11-13, 11:43 AM
Pact of the Blade Hexblade. The Pact of the Blade will let you wield a long bow at level 3 (in the mean time, you'll have to use a regular bow). They crit on a 19, have hex, and use Charisma instead of Dex or Str for their to-hit and damage bonuses.

Take Sharpshooter, obviously, to really double down on that Elven Accuracy perk.

If you want good nova damage, going Sorcerer (wild mage or divine soul) could help you. Wild Mage has Tides of Chaos, a reliable way of getting advantage to one attack. Divine soul can give you +2d4 to a failed attack roll, which virtually guarantees you will always land your first hit.

Get Quicken Spell so you can quicken cast Fireball/Lightning Bolt with your Sorcerer stuff. Empowered Spell will make sure you never cast below average damage.

What spit of levels would you suggest for this and would taking 1-2 levels of fighter for archery style and action surge not be good, with this build maybe 9 hexblade, 1-2 Fighter and 9-10 sorcerer would be pretty beefy? Or just 5 hexblade for 2nd attack, 2 Fighter, 1 rogue, 12 sorcerer perhaps?

LeonBH
2017-11-13, 11:43 AM
Did you start the thread with the intention to ask people to validate your opinion, instead of seeking to gather other people's opinions?

EDIT: Hmm, I take it back. I'm still kind of confused at your post two posts up mine asking for a problem with your proposed build.

As for level split if you went the Sorlock route, Sorc 5/Warlock 3/Sorc 12 would be the "standard" way to split the class. You don't need the +2 from Archery Style if you're taking Elven Archery early because that 3d20 is more than enough of a bonus.

You also get the Champion's 19-20 crit range with a one level dip. I don't know if Fighter's Action Surge is enough of a reason to forfeit your 9th level spells if you ever went that far into the campaign. If you went only up to the mid levels and want your archer online as early as possible, with a splash of fighter, I'd go Fighter 2/Warlock 3/Sorcerer X.

Spacehamster
2017-11-13, 11:47 AM
Did you start the thread with the intention to ask people to validate your opinion, instead of seeking to gather other people's opinions?

EDIT: Hmm, I take it back. I'm still kind of confused at your post two posts up mine asking for a problem with your proposed build.

Sorry that one were not against your build forgot to push quote button lol, asked for an archery build and got suggested a lazor build which while awesome is not what I were looking for. :)

LeonBH
2017-11-13, 11:53 AM
Ah I see. Well, I edited my reply two posts above this for a possible level split.

Spacehamster
2017-11-13, 11:59 AM
Ah I see. Well, I edited my reply two posts above this for a possible level split.

Not worth getting a 2nd attack for added punch on long adventure days when resources start to diminish? :)

LeonBH
2017-11-13, 12:11 PM
Sorc can cast Haste anyway. That is equivalent to one extra attack.

But reading the other threads, a Hexblade 3/Valor Bard 17 is one way to go. Valor bards get Extra Attack at level 6 and Magical Secrets at level 10. They can poach Swift Quiver from Rangers, giving you 4 attacks at level 13 (Lock 3/Bard 10). As a bard, you also get their other bardic features like expertise which is neat.

Spacehamster
2017-11-13, 12:25 PM
Sorc can cast Haste anyway. That is equivalent to one extra attack.

But reading the other threads, a Hexblade 3/Valor Bard 17 is one way to go. Valor bards get Extra Attack at level 6 and Magical Secrets at level 10. They can poach Swift Quiver from Rangers, giving you 4 attacks at level 13 (Lock 3/Bard 10). As a bard, you also get their other bardic features like expertise which is neat.

Thats true and heard there are really neat spells to poach from the new book as well which makes magical secrets even better. :)