PDA

View Full Version : This Elven Accuracy thing: Which Pureclasses Rock it hard?

The Shadowdove
2017-11-13, 01:23 PM
Hey forum-lurkers,

Looks like this Elven Accuracy feat is a popular topic right now. There's a lot of discussion on builds and such. Especially multiclass potential.

However, let's talk Pureclassing it.

Which subrace, class, archetype, feat, and weapon combos look like a sweet gig for this new feat?

Make yourself a fun character and point out how they best utilize this feat in conjunction with other class/racial abilities, and feats.

Looking forward to see what you come up with and tend to favor!

-Dove

Aett_Thorn
2017-11-13, 01:32 PM
Warlocks: Devil's Sight + Darkness = constant advantage. Eldritch Blast will give you up to four attacks at advantage, doing 1d10+Cha damage each with Agonizing Blast.

PeteNutButter
2017-11-13, 01:35 PM
Half-elf warlock seems like the go to for most people. Devil’s sight darkness is an obvious combo, and starting with a 17 cha doesn’t even put you back an ASI.

Wood elf rogue could be fun for free tri-vantage shot after bonus action hide every round. The solid crit chance makes for fun crits with all those SA dice.

Wood elf monk might be a good one too, especially once stunning strike comes online. Their 3-4 attacks a round, make the dps increase from tri-vantage more streamlined.

Willie the Duck
2017-11-13, 01:36 PM
I'm AFB right now, but that feat that gives you a skill, tool, language, and skill focus? Add that to shield master and elven accuracy and you have a interesting dex-based champion build. Given that it is 3 feats, it'd only be for rolled-stats games. Kind of a weird way to get around not being able to take a rogue or barbarian dip, but fun conceptually.

Skyblaze
2017-11-13, 01:38 PM
Bow Samurai fighter, basically a guarantee string of hits when you need it + sharp shooter.

Easy_Lee
2017-11-13, 01:50 PM
The only pure class that takes full advantage of it (expanded crit range + easy source of advantage + attack with something other than strength) is a Hexblade.

But a Sharpshooter rogue ain't bad at all.

Zene
2017-11-13, 01:53 PM
Any pure class/subclass that uses Dex, Int, Wis or Cha, and can be built to make lots of attack rolls, and has a built-in way to gain advantage.

So that'd be:
-Champion
-Samurai
-Gloomstalker
-Any Rogue (but especially Assassin)
-Any Sorcerer
-Any Warlock (but especially Hexblade)
-Any Wizard
-Any Cleric or Druid that has Greater Invisibility on its domain list (can't remember which do)
-Probably some/most Monk subclasses (I don't know them well enough to say for sure)
-Any Bard (except probably Lore and maybe Glamour)
-Vengeance dex Paladin

If you have an external way to gain advantage (party members, feats, magic items, etc), then that opens up quite a few more

-All the other Fighter Subclasses (except maybe Cavalier, since it's so Str-dependent)
-Any Ranger
-Dex Cleric
-Shillelagh Cleric
-Shillelagh Druid
-Moon druid that takes forms that attack with Dex
-Any Monk
-Any dex Paladin

Hope that narrows it down! Lol :D

Ritorix
2017-11-13, 02:09 PM
Ideally, you want to make use of the bonus crit chance and higher to-hit chance by having something smite-like to pump damage on-demand if you manage to crit. An elven vengeance paladin could critfish with it, using vow of enmity, smites and a scimitar.

Monks can get advantage with their access to stun and prone. A smite-like damage boost can come from fangs of the fire snake. But that would mean going 4 elements and no one wants to do that. Kensei can make use of Sharpshooter, a longbow, and on-demand smite-like boosts via Deft Strike. A longbow-kensei could hit for something like 1d8+1d6 (deft strike)+1d4 (kensei shot)+14 at 8th level, critting for 2d8+2d6+2d4+14=35 average, with two shots per round.

Gloom Stalkers seem like they could be good with it, since they can attack from darkness via Umbral Sight.

lunaticfringe
2017-11-13, 02:18 PM
Just cause no on has mentioned it Bard & Druid using Faerie Fire.

Valor Bard w/ Crossbow Expert & Sharpshooter.

Moon Druid.

Heck, elf party who can spam Faerie Fire and have solid Attack Roll options seems lethal.

Bah. Beasts use STR, forgot that bit.

The Shadowdove
2017-11-13, 05:36 PM
Doesn't seem like there's a lot that isn't awesome with this feat...

I might have to try an archer with it sometime. Thinking gloomstalker or thief.

Would any of the new rogue archetypes work particularly well as an archer?

lunaticfringe
2017-11-13, 05:37 PM
Doesn't seem like there's a lot that isn't awesome with this feat...

I might have to try an archer with it sometime. Thinking gloomstalker or thief.

Would any of the new rogue archetypes work particularly well as an archer?

Scout or Inquisitive.

fbelanger
2017-11-13, 05:39 PM
Do we miss so often when we have advantage to attack roll?

Kane0
2017-11-13, 05:45 PM
The only thing I can think of that wouldn't have much use for it is the barbarian, everyone else has the option of using dex or spell attacks to take advantage of it.

The Shadowdove
2017-11-13, 06:05 PM
Do we miss so often when we have advantage to attack roll?

Yes and no I guess.

If you think of it as a percentile being rolled instead of a d20, having more d20s grants you a higher percentage threshold to be able to hit.

So it technically does raise you percentage chance to hit by a considerable amount each time you add another d20.

So wanting double advantage holds the same purpose as wanting normal advantage.

Dudewithknives
2017-11-13, 06:30 PM
Yes and no I guess.

If you think of it as a percentile being rolled instead of a d20, having more d20s grants you a higher percentage threshold to be able to hit.

So it technically does raise you percentage chance to hit by a considerable amount each time you add another d20.

So wanting double advantage holds the same purpose as wanting normal advantage.

The added crit chance is very nice too for anyone who can smite/sneak attack ect.

guachi
2017-11-13, 07:37 PM
I guess you could take two levels of barbarian for Reckless Attack though that requires a 13 Strength and then you'd still need a high Dexterity. Seems like too high of a price to pay.

I was going to respec my AL PC to take 2 levels of Barbarian but he's Strength based so it's not really worth it.

MeeposFire
2017-11-13, 09:15 PM
I guess you could take two levels of barbarian for Reckless Attack though that requires a 13 Strength and then you'd still need a high Dexterity. Seems like too high of a price to pay.

I was going to respec my AL PC to take 2 levels of Barbarian but he's Strength based so it's not really worth it.

Reckless attack requires using str while elven accuracy requires not str. They are incompatible.

miburo
2017-11-13, 10:45 PM
Half-Elf Hexblade with Pact of the Blade, Sharpshooter, and Crossbow Expert. Use Darkness/Devil's Sight and you're launching 3 crossbow shots per turn with +10 sharpshooter damage on each. +5 for cha and a possible +1 for improved pact weapon, and that's before any magic items...

Better yet, if you have a wizard or sorcerer who loves you dearly, instead use a Half-Elf or Elf fighter with crossbow expert and sharpshooter. Get your friend to cast Greater Invisibility on you for constant advantage. At level 7 that's 3 crossbows shots or 5 with action surge, at level 11 that's 4 shots or 7 with action surge, and at level 20 that's 5 shots or 9 with action surge. All with a sweet, sweet, +10 sharpshooter damage bonus.

At level 20, that's a possible max of crossbow (9*6) + Dex ability mod (9*5 = 45) + sharpshooter (9*10) = 189 damage. And you can do that twice, and then still have 5 shots per turn afterwards. Not bad. Note that a level 20 Eldritch Knight can also do that by themselves, but only at level 20, and only for one combat.

Zene
2017-11-14, 01:02 AM
I like the idea of taking advantage of the higher crit chance. That would mean stacking at-will damage dice. So Paladin at least 2, Battlemaster at least 3, Sword or Whispers Bard at least 3, Kensei at least 6, Hexblade at least 5... If you could somehow stack them all, you could holy smite, eldritch smite, battlemaster maneuver, deft strike, and flourish/psychic blade all on that same crit. Also get a flametongue weapon and a helm of brilliance. Gloomstalker 3 too for that additional attack. Take a last level in Bard or Gloomstalker for another feat. 3 Feats: Elven Accuracy, something that gives a bonus action attack (PAM or XBE), and Lucky. It'd be MAD as heck, and no ASIs, but who needs good stats when you're critfishing?

I wonder who would do that better, though. That crazy damage dice build above, or a max-attack and auto-crit build of Battlemaster 11, Gloom Stalker 3, Assassin 3. Could still take the last 3 in Whispers bard for extra dice. I'm guessing the fighter 11 build, if well-geared, but not really sure.

::Edit- I just realized this is like 100% off thread topic (single-classed). My apologies.::

The only thing I can think of that wouldn't have much use for it is the barbarian, everyone else has the option of using dex or spell attacks to take advantage of it.

Cavalier fighter would be pretty lackluster too, as one of its key abilities relies on strength score.

Dalebert
2017-11-14, 01:43 AM
I'm trying to figure out a way to be an elf and a kobold at the same time. The best I can manage is a wood elf monk of the long death who dips two levels of moon druid to become a dire wolf. Four unarmed strikes made with advantage plus chance of prone but that violates the terms of the thread. Dang it.

But yeah. Hexblades are obscene with this. Just Eldritch Blast from Darkness or Greater Invis and using the Hexblade Curse is 4d10+44 dmg with very high chance of crits in there. Pact of the Blade him and it becomes 4d10+64 if all four attacks hit, and of course they will with super advantage!

EDIT: Redacted last sentence due to being totally wrong and based on a brain fart.

Zene
2017-11-14, 02:02 AM
I'm trying to figure out a way to be an elf and a kobold at the same time. The best I can manage is a wood elf monk of the long death who dips two levels of moon druid to become a dire wolf. Four unarmed strikes made with advantage plus chance of prone but that violates the terms of the thread. Dang it.

But yeah. Hexblades are obscene with this. Just Eldritch Blast from Darkness or Greater Invis and using the Hexblade Curse is 4d10+44 dmg with very high chance of crits in there. Pact of the Blade him and it becomes 4d10+64 if all four attacks hit, and of course they will with super advantage!

So this is probably a dumb question, but blade pact warlocka are not one of my strong suits —where’s the extra 20 damage coming from?

prototype00
2017-11-14, 02:33 AM
So this is probably a dumb question, but blade pact warlocka are not one of my strong suits —where’s the extra 20 damage coming from?

Either Great Weapon Mastery or Sharpshooter? Basically guaranteed with trivantage.

Zene
2017-11-14, 02:38 AM
Either Great Weapon Mastery or Sharpshooter? Basically guaranteed with trivantage.
He said if all four attacks hit, so I was assuming he was talking about Eldritch Blast

Spacehamster
2017-11-14, 02:47 AM
I'm AFB right now, but that feat that gives you a skill, tool, language, and skill focus? Add that to shield master and elven accuracy and you have a interesting dex-based champion build. Given that it is 3 feats, it'd only be for rolled-stats games. Kind of a weird way to get around not being able to take a rogue or barbarian dip, but fun conceptually.

Why only rolled stats? Fighter gets 7 ASI's and only need eleven accuracy + 1 ASI to have maxed AGI, then one ASI in CON, leaving you with 4 more ASI to use for feats. :)

Willie the Duck
2017-11-14, 07:29 AM
Why only rolled stats? Fighter gets 7 ASI's and only need eleven accuracy + 1 ASI to have maxed AGI, then one ASI in CON, leaving you with 4 more ASI to use for feats. :)

Whatever one prefers. I tend to call builds that are predicated on 3 feats to be rolled-stat only, but if you want to make it sing on another method, I'm not here to stop you (plus, I'd already forgotten that I was talking about an elf, who could have a 17 at start:smallbiggrin:).

LeonBH
2017-11-14, 07:59 AM
I like the idea of taking advantage of the higher crit chance. That would mean stacking at-will damage dice. So Paladin at least 2, Battlemaster at least 3, Sword or Whispers Bard at least 3, Kensei at least 6, Hexblade at least 5... If you could somehow stack them all, you could holy smite, eldritch smite, battlemaster maneuver, deft strike, and flourish/psychic blade all on that same crit. Also get a flametongue weapon and a helm of brilliance. Gloomstalker 3 too for that additional attack. Take a last level in Bard or Gloomstalker for another feat. 3 Feats: Elven Accuracy, something that gives a bonus action attack (PAM or XBE), and Lucky. It'd be MAD as heck, and no ASIs, but who needs good stats when you're critfishing?

I wonder who would do that better, though. That crazy damage dice build above, or a max-attack and auto-crit build of Battlemaster 11, Gloom Stalker 3, Assassin 3. Could still take the last 3 in Whispers bard for extra dice. I'm guessing the fighter 11 build, if well-geared, but not really sure.

::Edit- I just realized this is like 100% off thread topic (single-classed). My apologies.::

Cavalier fighter would be pretty lackluster too, as one of its key abilities relies on strength score.

The fact that Elven Accuracy incentives multiclassing into 5 different classes makes me hate it even more. And me, the guy who never plays an unmulticassed character, is the one saying this.

wilhelmdubdub
2017-11-14, 08:27 AM
Hexblade for crit on a 19-20 with eldritch smite when you crit

Dalebert
2017-11-14, 03:47 PM

I messed up bad on that one and treated them as having four attacks. Seems EB warlocks still have the edge on total dmg, even if you're a hexblade.

Zanthy1
2017-11-14, 04:24 PM
The only pure class that takes full advantage of it (expanded crit range + easy source of advantage + attack with something other than strength) is a Hexblade.

I am going to second this. I made one of these and decided that I needed to pre-nerf myself or else it'd be hell at the table. So i didn't take the darkness/eldritch sight combo, and I am only using a longsword (mostly 2 handed, but I have a shield I can equip).

Dudewithknives
2017-11-14, 09:17 PM
I am going to second this. I made one of these and decided that I needed to pre-nerf myself or else it'd be hell at the table. So i didn't take the darkness/eldritch sight combo, and I am only using a longsword (mostly 2 handed, but I have a shield I can equip).

I so wish their was a shield that you could equip as an object interaction. Would make things so much nicer.

othaero
2017-11-15, 02:22 AM
I'm trying to figure out a way to be an elf and a kobold at the same time.

What if you die and reincarnate as a Kobold? If only they errata'd Reincarnate to include Volo's races...

Danielqueue1
2017-11-15, 04:18 AM
lets talk about numbers for a moment. Advantage does more at the low end of the spectrum than at the high end. critical chance moves up from 5% to 9.75% but critical failure moves from 5% all the way down to .25%. it is much better at reducing risk than guaranteeing high numbers. that being said. moving it up to "tri-vantage" makes the gap more significant. There is a lower chance of rolling a 7 or lower with tri-vantage than the chance of rolling a natural 1 normally. this makes feats like sharpshooter even more powerful than they already are.

Trivantage with any feature that lets you crit on a nineteen moves your chance to crit on any attack up to 27% which in my opinion is rather disgusting.

I could see Dex Barbarians making a bit of a come-back.

a pure-class Champion, you will crit a lot. 27.1% per attack. at level 5 with multi attack that goes up to a 46.8% chance of Critting at least one attack in a round. even more with action surge. Multiclassing can make constant critting Absolutely barbaric. but the OP asked about Pure-classes

A pure-class paladin with trivantage will crit 14.26% of the time with multi-attack giving you a 26.4% chance to crit each round vs an only 18.55% with normal advantage. crit fishing stops being fishing and starts being farming. you can practically expect it every combat.

Rogue are going to enjoy a nice boost to their 1 attack per round's chance to hit and their sneak attack crits are going to see a nice boost as well.

I haven't seen the Xanthar's guide so I cannot comment on those, but from what I've heard, this could start getting quite silly quite fast with multi classing.

MeeposFire
2017-11-15, 03:49 PM
lets talk about numbers for a moment. Advantage does more at the low end of the spectrum than at the high end. critical chance moves up from 5% to 9.75% but critical failure moves from 5% all the way down to .25%. it is much better at reducing risk than guaranteeing high numbers. that being said. moving it up to "tri-vantage" makes the gap more significant. There is a lower chance of rolling a 7 or lower with tri-vantage than the chance of rolling a natural 1 normally. this makes feats like sharpshooter even more powerful than they already are.

Trivantage with any feature that lets you crit on a nineteen moves your chance to crit on any attack up to 27% which in my opinion is rather disgusting.

I could see Dex Barbarians making a bit of a come-back.

a pure-class Champion, you will crit a lot. 27.1% per attack. at level 5 with multi attack that goes up to a 46.8% chance of Critting at least one attack in a round. even more with action surge. Multiclassing can make constant critting Absolutely barbaric. but the OP asked about Pure-classes

A pure-class paladin with trivantage will crit 14.26% of the time with multi-attack giving you a 26.4% chance to crit each round vs an only 18.55% with normal advantage. crit fishing stops being fishing and starts being farming. you can practically expect it every combat.

Rogue are going to enjoy a nice boost to their 1 attack per round's chance to hit and their sneak attack crits are going to see a nice boost as well.

I haven't seen the Xanthar's guide so I cannot comment on those, but from what I've heard, this could start getting quite silly quite fast with multi classing.

How would dex barbarians have a comeback? They cannot use reckless attack with a dex attack making this not very helpful to them. If they used anything else for advantage you would probably be better off being a nother class that gets more from it.

stoutstien
2017-11-15, 05:41 PM
Man I hate this feat. Not trying to start a fight but the whole idea of onlyA single instance of one advantage or disadvantage die was one of my favorite concepts in 5e . I'm surprised no one's talking about stacking this with the Luckey feat yet

Zene
2017-11-15, 06:33 PM
Man I hate this feat. Not trying to start a fight but the whole idea of onlyA single instance of one advantage or disadvantage die was one of my favorite concepts in 5e . I'm surprised no one's talking about stacking this with the Luckey feat yet

Eh, I think no-one's talking about it because it's just assumed. If you really need to land an attack or a crit (like, say, a rogue critfishing build), then yes using Lucky for what is effectively quadvantage if the first three don't crit is a good idea. Otherwise, if you're already rolling three dice, there's not usually much additional use for Lucky except what it already did (mostly turning disadvantage into superadvantage, giving a second chance on important saving throws, negating crits).

If you mean I have a normal roll, then use lucky to add a second die, thereby activating Elven Accuracy's superadvantage --that's not possible, since Lucky doesn't technically give advantage (just adds a die).

MeeposFire
2017-11-15, 09:02 PM
There is also the aspect of diminishing returns. Outside of a crit once one of your dice is a hit the other dice are useless. Every reroll does increase you chance to hit but after a while those extra rerolls become mostly redundant unless one happens to be a 20.

Danielqueue1
2017-11-16, 09:57 PM
How would dex barbarians have a comeback? They cannot use reckless attack with a dex attack making this not very helpful to them. If they used anything else for advantage you would probably be better off being a nother class that gets more from it.

Well crap. recant my comment on barbarians.

MeeposFire
2017-11-16, 11:55 PM
Well crap. recant my comment on barbarians.

Sadly that has been the biggest reason on why a barb shoud not go dex primary (rage damage is the next biggest). If it was not for that I would be totally playing a dex barb.