PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Instantaneous area spells for a Spellwarp Sniper

Sleven
2017-11-13, 09:21 PM
Firebrand, Wings of Flurry, Disjunction, Lightning Leap, etc. come to mind, but I can't seem to be able to track down any others that are quite as good. Looking to round out a spell lineup with some "SR: No" damaging spells, but those seem to be for Druids and (sometimes) Clerics. I'm also looking for some more utility options (like Disjunction) at lower levels. Perhaps something with a Reflex saving throw and an extremely detrimental effect, like Sunburst. Feels like I'm missing something obvious though.

Spell level isn't much of an issue here, given that I can get the Spellwarp (Ex) ability up to 8th with little effort.

Looking for at least one "Wow!" spell at each spell level and, ideally, some "SR: No" area spells that are relevant (damage scaling) all game without resorting to infinite loops or Reserves of Strength.

Venger
2017-11-14, 09:27 PM
Firebrand, Wings of Flurry, Disjunction, Lightning Leap, etc. come to mind, but I can't seem to be able to track down any others that are quite as good. Looking to round out a spell lineup with some "SR: No" damaging spells, but those seem to be for Druids and (sometimes) Clerics. I'm also looking for some more utility options (like Disjunction) at lower levels. Perhaps something with a Reflex saving throw and an extremely detrimental effect, like Sunburst. Feels like I'm missing something obvious though.

Spell level isn't much of an issue here, given that I can get the Spellwarp (Ex) ability up to 8th with little effort.

Looking for at least one "Wow!" spell at each spell level and, ideally, some "SR: No" area spells that are relevant (damage scaling) all game without resorting to infinite loops or Reserves of Strength.

what are you entering spellwarp sniper as, so we know what list to recommend stuff from? or is your character as of yet unbuilt and you're looking what would be the best thing to enter as?

are you advancing spellwarp sniper through legacy champion? what does your build stub look like?

Sleven
2017-11-14, 10:33 PM
Unbuilt, in the sense that everything is interchangeable. At the moment it's got 2 levels of Unseen Seer as qualification. Three Bloodline levels are an easy ask that wouldn't set me too far behind in XP, and could push me up to 8th level area spells as rays with little issue. Sorcerer or Wizard base, but Sorcerer simplifies the building element of it for me from an optimization standpoint (due to my overwhelming familiarity with them).

Was thinking about doing some funny things with Spellguard of Silverymoon, which subsequently got me thinking about Spellwarp Sniper. Because Spellguard can do the Selective Spell thing much better than the actual feat, replacing all the typical go-to spells (like Orb of Fire/Cold) with area spell equivalents seemed very appealing to me. The issue I started running into was actually finding SR: No spells that are up to snuff, and other Reflex save based area disables.

Want to be able to use one or two of these against a Golem or other spell immune creatures. If the area spell scales well enough damage-wise and is SR: No, I might just bite the cost of Arcane Preparation + Elven Spell Lore to convert it to Sacred or Vile damage or something.

remetagross
2017-11-15, 12:12 PM
Vitriolic Sphere is a 5th level long range instantaneous area of effect SR:No Ref (partial) spell that deals 18d6 acid damage over 3 rounds on a failed save.

Obedient Avalanche is a 9th level (thus accessible through Sanctum Spell) medium range instantaneous area of effect SR:No Ref (half and negates) spell that deals 1d8/2 caster levels bludgeoning damage, capped to 10d8, and 1d6/2 caster levels cold damage, but uncapped! Ref save for half. Also, whoever fails the save is buried under snow, which is equivalent to being grappled while also bearing the risk of suffocation; and one can escape the snow only by a DC 20 Str check.

Psyren
2017-11-15, 12:51 PM
There's a guide for that (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?445117-quot-Spellwarp-Sniper-List-of-Handy-Spells-quot-(from-Wizards-forum))