PDA

View Full Version : Best Charisma Caster/Utilizer?

GoblinGuy
2017-11-13, 11:15 PM
Charisma is about my favorite ability score in the game, and I would like a class or subclass of one that uses Cha as a main stat. Any good ones? All suggestions are open.

JackPhoenix
2017-11-13, 11:17 PM
Any bard, lore moreso than other subclasses. Any warlock, but especially Hexblade.

Zene
2017-11-13, 11:24 PM
Hard to say best. Bards use it, hard (all subclasses... even those that rely on weapon attacks can pick up shillelagh or now dip hexblade 1 to use cha as their attack stat instead and be single-attribute-dependent)

Believe it or not, almost any martial with a L1 Hexblade dip also fits the bill now. Want a Cha Champion? No prob. Want a Cha Hunter? You got it. Tired of your swashbuckler builds needing to waste ASIs on dex? Hexblade's got you covered.

Oh, and good lord, sorcadins now....

Elminster298
2017-11-13, 11:28 PM
Any bard, lore moreso than other subclasses. Any warlock, but especially Hexblade.

This right here. Lore Bard is easily my personal favorite. Two level dip in Warlock makes an amazing charisma caster with a solid blaster option for when you don't have the chance to use your buff/debuff/crowd control spells. Lore Bard with proper choice of magical secrets can have great healing, great debuffs, great buffs, great crowd control, and at the highest levels potential nova damage if you want to go that route. Other than that, any sorc/pal/lock multi is an amazing charisma caster. Charisma is right up there side by side with dex classes as too top of the food chain. You really honestly cant go wrong. If you want a powerful charisma caster just choose the strong meaningful background that you would love to play and run with it. You LITERALLY can't go wrong with a charisma based character. This is obviously just my own two cents....but it is based off of eighteen years of playing D&D. Take it for what you will.

Kane0
2017-11-13, 11:46 PM
For a CHA primary character you want a Bard, Warlock, Sorcerer or Paladin in roughly that order. If you are planning on getting your hands on Xanathar's Guide to Everything than you're in for a treat, those first three get some mighty nice new options.

Zene
2017-11-14, 12:43 AM
Lore Bard with proper choice of magical secrets can have great healing, great debuffs, great buffs, great crowd control, and at the highest levels potential nova damage if you want to go that route.

Now with XGE, you can add to that list: Top-tier grappling and top-tier damage after L14 (with that Hexblade 1 or 2 dip); Better devil summoner than either warlocks or wizards (the ones that have it in their spell lists); best obtainer of flying mounts.

Nifft
2017-11-14, 02:38 AM
I came here to join the chorus, and to sing the praises of the Bard.

Specter
2017-11-14, 07:34 AM
Bard, for the best skill potential.

JackPhoenix
2017-11-14, 09:22 AM
Now with XGE, you can add to that list: Top-tier grappling and top-tier damage after L14 (with that Hexblade 1 or 2 dip); Better devil summoner than either warlocks or wizards (the ones that have it in their spell lists); best obtainer of flying mounts.

You may add top tier healing, because they can nab Healing Spirit from druids and rangers...

Elminster298
2017-11-14, 10:02 AM
You may add top tier healing, because they can nab Healing Spirit from druids and rangers...

AND add on top of that the only true reliable way to counterspell with the new XGtE errata. No spotter, no house rules needed.

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-11-14, 11:19 AM
Lore Bard! If u go as far as the Level 6 Magical Secrets especially. The skill proficiencies are unreal not to mention the battle aspects.

Some other classes with wider spell availability lists are easier to play from the get go though but now @ level 6 if my Bard can have my Wizard and Sorcerer's favorite two spells.

Citan
2017-11-14, 06:45 PM
Charisma is about my favorite ability score in the game, and I would like a class or subclass of one that uses Cha as a main stat. Any good ones? All suggestions are open.
Honestly all are great. Each in its own way.

Paladin is the easiest of all: sturdy, decent array of spells, iconic martialish features, can fill many roles up to a very acceptable level.

Bard is the easiest fullcaster to play: decent number of spells to learn from a nice variety (although damage is underrepresented), skills and Inspiration to be useful even when out of magic fuel, and archetypes each bringing a few specific tools.

Then come the two focused classes.

Warlock can be the most "utility" of all with proper choice of options, between rituals (Tome Pact) and free spell invocations. Only two slots per rest for a long time though, so you may not like it.

Sorcerers get the best concentration of "versatile spells", but you will only know a handful of them for a time. And you have to choose them in relation with the Metamagics you picked.
Because of that and the lack of otherwise magic-related feature (to simplify), they are even more focused (focused in "using more or less the same spells every day) than Warlocks, but each of their cast is globally better than the cast of same spell from another caster (barring a few exceptions).

Soo...
Easiness to build? Paladin > Bard > Warlock > Sorcerer
Spell versatility? Bard = (Tome) Warlock > Paladin > Sorcerer
Spell efficiency? Sorcerer > all (except Counterspell: Jack of all Trades + potential BI).
Martial efficiency? Paladin > Valor/Sword Bard & Hexblade Warlock > all.
Overall versatility? Bard = Tome Warlock > Paladin > Favored Soul Sorcerer > all.
Would be my schematic representation. :)