PDA

View Full Version : Is the war mage in xanathar's the same as the unearthed arcana?

Arelai
2017-11-13, 11:28 PM
Hey! I ordered my copy, and it won't get here until the 21st-just wondering if the War Wizard in the book is the same as the war mage that came out way back in the unearthed arcana?

I might play it in a game if it comes up before my book gets here.

Elminster298
2017-11-13, 11:42 PM
Hey! I ordered my copy, and it won't get here until the 21st-just wondering if the War Wizard in the book is the same as the war mage that came out way back in the unearthed arcana?

I might play it in a game if it comes up before my book gets here.

I don't have the book but... Enough people have posted general descriptions of all the sub classes. From what I have seen so far it is VERY close to the UA version.

Kane0
2017-11-13, 11:51 PM
Apparently nerfed bonus damage though.

Eragon123
2017-11-13, 11:55 PM
Apparently nerfed bonus damage though.

But if it works with Magic Missile then the "Nuclear Druid" is now "Nuclear Wizard" and much scarier.

Jerrykhor
2017-11-14, 12:36 AM
Big nerf to Power Surge. From +2 damage dice to +half your wizard level. Also seems to affect only one creature now. But potentially can use more than once per day, or on more than one creature. requires Counterspell or Dispel Magic to store Surges though.

I don't remember anyone complaining that War Mage UA is overpowered. Does it really warrant such a huge nerf? I am very disappointed with the change. This 'Half your class level' to damage thing is very common in XTGE, and its numbers are so low to the point of being insignificant.

DarkKnightJin
2017-11-14, 03:44 AM
Big nerf to Power Surge. From +2 damage dice to +half your wizard level. Also seems to affect only one creature now. But potentially can use more than once per day, or on more than one creature. requires Counterspell or Dispel Magic to store Surges though.

I don't remember anyone complaining that War Mage UA is overpowered. Does it really warrant such a huge nerf? I am very disappointed with the change. This 'Half your class level' to damage thing is very common in XTGE, and its numbers are so low to the point of being insignificant.

The War Magic School seemed to be hailed as the most balanced Archetype for Wizard they could've made, iirc.
I kinda understand why they 'nerfed' it to half level, though. Especially if more charges/surges can be stored per rest. You don't want a high level character suddenly dropping a +20 on a spells' damage.
Magic missile.. 1d4+21.. Yeah, I can see that making a small mushroom cloud..